INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade PC's MBoard Audio to ???  (Read 4203 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Upgrade PC's MBoard Audio to ???
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:30 pm »

I'm currently using the Audio Out from the PC's Motherboard Headphone jack to a decent 2.1 PC Speaker setup http://www.axiomaudio.com/audiobytecomputerspeakers.html .  While "OK" one issue is the output level is so low that it has trouble driving headphones to a decent level (the speakers are fine as they are driven by a dedicated amp).  I also tried the HDMI/DAC in the Dell Monitor for the headphones and while louder the quality was terrible (buzzing).

Soooo, what are suggestions for the next step up (either Audio Cards or DAC) that would be:
- Not junk (but does by no means need to be an "Audiophile" Solution). 
- Only needs to be 2ch (I only have a 2.1 speaker setup on the PC and the amp does the 2 --> 2.1_
- Would be good to have two outputs, one with Vol for heaphones, and one line level to feed the amp.

I was recommended this by one retailer but don't know if it is good, bad, indifferent or just overkill for what I need - http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Audiogd-NFB121-DAC-and-Headphone-amplifier

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Upgrade PC's MBoard Audio to ???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:58 pm »

Since you like to recommend $4,000+ speakers to me, I think I'll recommend this $15,500 DAC for you:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/468-emm-labs-dac2x-review/

Chris (of Computer Audiophile) told me in person it's the best DAC he's ever used.  Then I got in my car worth less and drove away.

But seriously, I have a Proton USB DAC I like a lot.  It runs two outputs at once, so I keep a 2.1 system and headphones hooked to it at the same time.  The output level is just enough for power hungry phones (but another 6dB would be nice).

Or you could pick up a cheap X-Fi based card, M-Audio 2496, etc. for $50 and you'd be way ahead of a motherboard output.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:20 pm »

Thanks Matt ... somehow I knew that response was comming from you esp after your review of the $2K dac....and you still roll your own speakers :)

I'll check out the others...
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »

But seriously, I have a Proton USB DAC I like a lot.  It runs two outputs at once, so I keep a 2.1 system and headphones hooked to it at the same time.  The output level is just enough for power hungry phones (but another 6dB would be nice).
:o $900!  It is interesting how we put a different emphasis on where to spend our $, as I'm looking at Proton thinking it is a Radio Shack box with a couple of plugs and a knob = $90 so it's a no go for me.  Also, please don't tell me you run some $20 speakers you cousin gave you 20 years ago off this thing!

Or you could pick up a cheap X-Fi based card, M-Audio 2496, etc. for $50 and you'd be way ahead of a motherboard output.
  Mmmmm could do but I do like the two outputs concept of the one I linked earlier (or Proton if you want to donate it).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »

I've orded one of these - http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=37&MenuID=020301 ... It can not be worse that what I currently have (touch wood)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »

For a nooB on this stuff, but I'm pretty impressed with the FiiO E10 2ch DAC (uses a Wolfson 8740) and what it can do for under $80.  It just plugged in and worked (no SW just a Windows Driver that auto installed).  Key features:
- 2ch, 24bit, 96KHZ
- Headphone Amp / Vol on the front (with a Bass Boost switch if you like that sort of thing)
- High / Low gain switch on the bottom
- Line Out, Coax Out on the back + USB in

It seems to be a big step up from the inbuilt sound card output both for feeding the 2.1 Ch Amp and also for the Headphones.  Now to see how stable it is over time.

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »

FYI As my mobo uses the Realtek ALC1200 manufactured specifically for ASUS there are no published specs, though xbitlabs published the following test results in 16bit 44kHz mode:

The testing on of the E10 would indicate that this is way better then the mobo (if I read it right) - http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/fiio-e10-dac.html:
- Freq. Resp. 10K = +/- 0.1 dB A
- Noise A-Wtd dBu = -98.3 C
- -60 dBFS DNR dB = -97.6 C 
- THD+N 0 dBFS 10K = 0.005% A
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:01 am »

After some listening on my new Grado SR60i Headphones, I'm sold on using an the external DAC over the rubbish in my PC.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:32:11 am »

Interestingly I found the DAC was picking up some interference hum.  Replacing the std USB cable with one with two ferrite beads fixed this.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up