INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Menu Button --> OSD on Video  (Read 8107 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Feature Request - Menu Button --> OSD on Video
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:47:22 am »

In Theater View we can use the up arrow to scroll though the various options (Titles, Streams, Video, Subs etc) but this is not that user friendly for the Family.  They are much more used to pressing the "Menu" button to see all of these options on one OSD.  It would be great to add this to MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Feature Request - Menu Button --> OSD on Video
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:03 am »

I think you mean Display View and here in the US we use the down arrow.  :)

Maybe this change Matt mentioned in the UI Update internals thread will allow for more flexibility in Display View, too.

2) Flexibility: controls themselves (like buttons, edits, etc.) could be hosted in a really different framework like Theater View

I was just searching yesterday for OSD update requests for Display View. There has been a lot of improvement over the past few years, but I think it could still be better. The top display still looks like something from Standard View. I think it should look like Theater View in Playing Now with fading in menu buttons for playback (play/pause, stop, etc.). A screenshot of a background image from MI:  Ghost Protocol shows what I am talking about. I would like Display View to look like this (minus the bottom Theater View OSD) when playing a movie. Imagine that arrow up brings up the top menus (with a little tweaking) and an arrow down brings up the regular OSD from Display View.

Edit:  Here is a discussion from 5 years ago.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:34 am »

Is this

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72181.0

the kind of thing you're talking about?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:14 am »

Theater View and Display View aren't as similar as you might hope.  This is sort of required since madVR (and possibly others) use an exclusive hardware device, meaning we can't blend the two together seamlessly.

I would be happy to find a way to make the existing OSD more functional, but I don't want to lose the the 4-arrow usage model.  I also don't want to introduce deep nesting of common things that would make it hard to find things.  Or introduce something giant that covers the whole screen.

But I rarely use color controls.  And I'd like to add some mildly complex audio things like a volume slider for the center and subwoofer channels, but I know a lot of people wouldn't want them.

Proposals (preferably with a screenshot) welcome.  mojave's roller idea is interesting, for example.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:44 am »

I would be happy to find a way to make the existing OSD more functional, but I don't want to lose the the 4-arrow usage model.

All well and good, but as discussed here,

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72150.msg488481#msg488481

the four arrow model isn't most peoples' default way of thinking. Most people now purchase a piece of AV equipment and it has an "i" button on the remote (including the Remote you guys sell / sold). A lot of peoples' expectations are that when that "i" button is pressed, they'll be able to see program information (which is perhaps different from "OSD" in its current MC sense). If you didn't want to go down the "i" button route, the Up arrow could be used.

I also don't want to introduce deep nesting of common things that would make it hard to find things.  Or introduce something giant that covers the whole screen.

I completely agree. In the diagram attached, the OSD is semi transparent (yay me for using a black background to demonstrate :-/) and takes up what I believe would be an acceptable amount of screen space. All the necessary information is at one's fingertips.

Again, from the previous threads, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_WaOLjdyQ

at about 45seconds shows the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

Again, this may be different to the meaning of "OSD" currently used by MC.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:46 am »

But I rarely use color controls.  And I'd like to add some mildly complex audio things like a volume slider for the center and subwoofer channels, but I know a lot of people wouldn't want them.

That would be fantastic!

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »

I would be happy to find a way to make the existing OSD more functional, but I don't want to lose the the 4-arrow usage model.  I also don't want to introduce deep nesting of common things that would make it hard to find things.  Or introduce something giant that covers the whole screen.

If a movie is being played, the OSD needs to be as fast and unobtrusive as possible. The current design supports that reasonably well. In other circumstances, like when the movie is just starting and one wants to review and possibly change various settings, it's a frustration. In that situation, it would be much more effective to see a vertical list of all menu items, and when one is selected, a pop-out list of all possible values. The few who don't want to miss the opening credits (or whatever) while using the OSD can pause playback—and appreciate the full menu mode is less cumbersome and faster in the circumstance. I explained how both methods could easily coexist here.

This solution uses the 4-arrow model—but in the more conventional 'arrow to select, enter to activate' mode. It would be readily apparent the additional 'list' or 'menu' view is simply a 'full' view of exactly the same items. So providing both is unlikely to create confusion, and users would simply decide for themselves which 'mode' works best in the circumstances. Those who expect to see a full OSD on the press of 'i' button could simply map that button to the keystrokes that would invoke the full menu (or maybe the internal command that's normally associated with that button should display the OSD in the 'menu mode').

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:55 pm »

The following is how I see other UI's for media players acting.  I'm not suggesting removing the four arrow approach just adding an OSD for us RC users in Theaterview.

Menu Button:  For me it is stuff like, when playing a BD you press the "Menu" button on the RC and get a menu similar to what you get on a DVD, and OSD that lets you access the playback options (see Pic).  I like the idea that the Menu OSD is "smart" in that when playing TV it brings up play back options suitable for TV.

Info Button: For the examples posted (which look good) including descriptions etc on what is playing, I'd argue that this should be a OSD that pops up when the "Info" button is pressed.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »

Is there currently a way to keep the OSD within the video playback area in Display View?

I thought there was a way to disable the mouse in Display View to prevent the top display from appearing, but now I can't find it. Did I just imagine it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »

I'm sorry but my attempt to create an OSD mock up was terrible so I looked on the web and found a couple of others that look better and follow the use of the arrows and enter to navigate and select from the options present (in the pics below you would have to substitute the MC options of course):

- I really like the presentation of how XMBC does it esp if you could navigate (using the arrows) over the "buttons" at the bottom then press enter to change the settings.
- How your TV does it
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

Sorry - all sorts of probs in the last post using links over attaching screenshots
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:39:29 pm »

The OSD to me is mostly functional but if we can have a way of hiding things like colour and vertical and horizontal alignment controls (things I never use) I'd be a lot happier.

As others have said, it's too tedious at times. When a movie starts I usually want to see (and optionally change) a few key things at a glance. Eg, title selection, subtitle selection, audio and video stream selections, aspect ratio setting. A dedicated key for remote users to achieve this would not compromise the 4 arrows plus enter paradigm.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:59:53 am »

I have to agree. EVERYONE that uses my HTPC has difficulty with the OSD. So much so it doesn't get used by anyone but me. As for me, I find it really frustrating.

There is a good compromise though:

Do both. If you press down arrow you get the existing model. If you hit the menu button on the remote (or a pre defined key on the keyboard) you get a "full" menu.

This has one other added advantage. You could move remove certain things from the down arrow menu if they don't really work well there. For example: selecting an audio or video track. Having to "arrow through" a few audio tracks and having each selected automatically then cause an audio and Video "hiccup" certainly isn't unobtrusive by any means and would be off on a full menu anyway. Leaving the "simple" OSD quicker and easier to use.

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »

Do both. If you press down arrow you get the existing model. If you hit the menu button on the remote (or a pre defined key on the keyboard) you get a "full" menu.

The first item on the menu should be a toggle between the two modes. Those using a remote without a button to invoke the 'full menu' would be frustrated without that. And it won't bother anyone else assuming the menu opens to the last used item as it does now. Yes, an MCC/shortcut should be provided (that can be mapped to any remote button) for opening it directly.

This has one other added advantage. You could move remove certain things from the down arrow menu if they don't really work well there.

I don't think assumptions should be made as to which mode a menu item should be restricted to. Even if the choice makes sense, the user would then have to learn what choices have been made. That's not so easy for those who aren't even sure what the menu items are. The only 'safe' way to provide a means for hiding menu items (other than automatically hiding those not applicable in the circumstances) is to provide for it in Options. I suppose another way to do it is for the 'full menu' to always show everything, and each one of it's menu items have a 'hide/show on scroll (?) menu' toggle (e.g., a checkbox item at the end of its list of possible values). But some may consider it inappropriate to expose that in the OSD and/or want the option to hide items on the full menu as well. :-\

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »

I have to agree. EVERYONE that uses my HTPC has difficulty with the OSD. So much so it doesn't get used by anyone but me. As for me, I find it really frustrating.

There is a good compromise though:

This has one other added advantage. You could move remove certain things from the down arrow menu if they don't really work well there. For example: selecting an audio or video track. Having to "arrow through" a few audio tracks and having each selected automatically then cause an audio and Video "hiccup" certainly isn't unobtrusive by any means and would be off on a full menu anyway. Leaving the "simple" OSD quicker and easier to use.

+1. The present OSD is totally unintuitive and frustrating. I'm in favor of pressing the Menu Key and getting a full menu. And keep the old Down Arrow one for those that want an uncluttered screen or who don't have a Menu button on their remote.

The first item on the menu should be a toggle between the two modes. Those using a remote without a button to invoke the 'full menu' would be frustrated without that. And it won't bother anyone else assuming the menu opens to the last used item as it does now. Yes, an MCC/shortcut should be provided (that can be mapped to any remote button) for opening it directly.

I'm trying to understand what you are describing Rick. If you mean that the first item on the Down Arrow menu would be the Toggle Selection between full and Existing menus that sounds good.

Rod

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »

I'm trying to understand what you are describing Rick. If you mean that the first item on the Down Arrow menu would be the Toggle Selection between full and Existing menus that sounds good.

Yes. Those who want a 'full menu' will also want a way to get to it. ;)

This may be too nuanced at this stage, but I was thinking the up/down arrows would always call the existing menu, even if the full menu was last used. If that were the case, it would open at the toggle and the full menu could be displayed again with a second button press (left, right or enter, I suppose). But another option would be for the up arrow to open the full menu directly, and the down arrow the existing one. There would still be a toggle item on both menus for switching from one to the other. I hope no one would mind that would make their 'i' button redundant. A more practical concern, however, would be an accidental press of the up button would be disruptive to viewing... :-\

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

My original suggestion is to leave the current system in place (as is) and just add support for the Menu button to pop up a full OSD.
JRiver CEO Elect

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

My original suggestion is to leave the current system in place (as is) and just add support for the Menu button to pop up a full OSD.

Oh sure. Steal my idea. :)

Just kidding. If I restated something you asked for I only had time to skim the thread before I posted. My bad.

I really hope this gets done as it is a source of great frustration for me. It is actually the one remaining "wart" that I have wanted changed/fixed/updated for a while. Of course once it is fixed I will quickly find some new thing to complain about though...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

:) fixed in my post!  There was nothing original about it (was just not expressing my preference well in the first post of this thread)
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »

Isn't that sort of the green button?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

Isn't that sort of the green button?

Not if I remember correctly. Many controls have a button separate menu on it. I think even the MS control does, but I could be wrong. Haven't used it in quite a while.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »

Our Harmony Remote has Menu and Info buttons. They were both very functional in Sage.

Rod

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »

I believe the "Menu" button on the Harmony remotes maps to the DVD Menu on the generic MCE remote.

I was thinking that this could be an option, but then what happens when watching a DVD?

The Green button is a "Home" button IMO.

The more I think about this, the more I think there should be 2 different menus / displays and the reason is as follows -

The existing OSD contains both "Settings" (Contrast, Aspect, Saturation etc) along with "Information & Related Tasks" (Time slider, program name, recording options, display info (576i, 1080p etc).

IMO both of these would be improved by separating them.

A "Settings" menu would allow you to create an overlay with all settings on one screen, with options selectable / changeable by left - right arrows, while the "Information and tasks" could be displayed as per one of the aforementioned proposals, with program info, record button etc.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »

I too have the Harmony One (and the original MS RC) running off an MS IR connector.  Expanding further on what buttons do what:

- Menu (same as the "DVD Menu" on MS Remote) = OSD for Video Playback - AKA a MC version of what you would see if you press this button and it takes you to the DVD Menu.  You could choose Audio, Video, Sub streams etc just like with a DVD but this time for all Video Sources.  At present this button does nothing unless there is a DVD being played and by adding a OSD for other Video Sources off this button you would get a pseudo DVD style menu for other video sources
- Info (is on both remotes) = Info OSD for stuff about what is being played.
- Green Button = No Change
- Up/Down/Left/Right arrows = No Change
- OK Button = No Change
JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:25 pm »

It seems to me, depending on what software is running it, a remote's menu, info, options and green (or my 'Firefly') buttons could be used for anything. Mine are generally used for displaying on-screen menus created with my remote software. I don't care if MC uses one of these buttons to invoke an OSD—it won't affect my remote. But there's no one button that's going to work for everyone. It's important there be a convenient way to invoke it using the 4-button model. And for those who want to use something other than default button or a keyboard shortcut, there should be an MCC.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »

Here is a pic of how Slysoft's generates their Speedmenu (note: I added the Subtitles bit).
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 11:08:49 pm »

I've wondered if pushing up or down should show this:

You'd push left and right to flip through choices.  Once you pick one, you'd push up or down to enter into it.  That stage would be a roller of choices for something like subtitles, or a slider for something like contrast, volume, etc.

You could also show the choices below _as_ you hit left and right on the roller shown in the picture, but I'm a little worried about trying to indicate the focused roller (top or bottom).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:10 pm »

What two hippies worshiping the sun?  ;D

While it looks good (and I think is better than the current version), what I really need for the family is OSD similar to what you get with a DVD (and that I can map to the Menu button) where they can pick
- Title
- Chapter
- Audio Lang
- Subtitles

That is about it....I'm not sure we need to expose in such an OSD options like vertical/horisontal position, subtitle timing etc etc (or at least have them under an advanced sub menu).

It is all about consistency.  The menu button has brought these options up for like ever in a single OSD.  The family get that.  We have a Italian Exchange student at present and if we put on a BD disk, the family ask me to put on the subs for him as they can not do it.  As others have pointed out using the current option in Theaterview is slow to navigate to the option you want, then even more so to select the value (eg the list of subtitles can be a very long list) and makes the video jump as you navigate all of this.  So what I currently do is pull out the Keyboard and do a "right click --> subtitles --> ITA".  It is much quicker but really a PITA and not consistant with TheaterView RC concept.

EDIT - Updated some comments
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 01:40:40 am »

I agree the OSD needs some work as visitors not familiar with MC do struggle with it, and the more advanced options like vertical/horizontal position, color etc should be hidden in an advanced option as I'm sick of the kids repositioing things by accident.

Oh and while we're on the topic again ( http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68309.0) I'd like things like audio and title selection to need ENTER to select them, Live TV works like that for channel changing so I think everything should to be consistent and need ENTER.  Ovce again visitors expect to be able to scroll through the options and not have them autoselect and certaily not have to return to the one they started on to not have it change... that's just annoying!

Cheers
Richard

rick.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 04:43:13 am »

You'd push left and right to flip through choices.  Once you pick one, you'd push up or down to enter into it.  That stage would be a roller of choices for something like subtitles...

That would be fine for something like subtitles, but not much help for something like descriptive chapter titles. Nor does it provide the means to see all menu items and their current settings at once. To be fair, neither does my description of a 'full menu' mode. I suppose it could be a two-column list of Menu item : Current setting (with items set with sliders shown as values rather than sliders). When a menu item is selected, the column of current values would be replaced with the available values for that item (with the currently set value highlighted). Or should the current values remain, and this pop-out from the position of the selected item? Horizontal sliders could be replaced by vertical sliders...

I hadn't thought of it before, but sliders aren't used for everything they might be used for. That makes sense, as a slider for something like horizontal/vertical position is rather pointless—the screen itself is providing feedback. On the other hand, one for Zoom would have the advantage of being able to show the current setting relative to 'actual' and 'fit to window'. Hmm...Or don't use sliders at all—just show the value. It works, and user's aren't likely to want to change Volume or Play position using this mode. :-\

BTW, since the point of the 'full menu' mode is to display all current settings at once and then all available values for each item, it shouldn't be a timed display. It won't be possible to predict when the user is finished using the menu. <Left> from any menu item would provide a logical exit, and <Escape> would exit the menu from anywhere.

To be clear, I think your idea suggests sensible improvements to the current OSD, it just doesn't replace the need for a 'full menu' mode. The most important aspect of that is displaying everything at once, not how individual settings are changed. It's the sort of thing I would use routinely at the beginning of a movie—just to verify the default settings are suitable. As others have pointed out, it's also much closer to the form of OSD used by entertainment equipment—and therefore more likely to be understood by those not familiar with MC.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 09:30:58 am »

<Image>

You'd push left and right to flip through choices.  Once you pick one, you'd push up or down to enter into it.  That stage would be a roller of choices for something like subtitles, or a slider for something like contrast, volume, etc.

You could also show the choices below _as_ you hit left and right on the roller shown in the picture, but I'm a little worried about trying to indicate the focused roller (top or bottom).

To some extent this might make the current menu better however there are some issues:

99.9% of everyone that uses the menu will still be confused because they don't have to press enter. While JRiver method may be more "smarter", more efficient, or designed and handed down by super-intelligent beings from another time, it does not follow convention. :) Most people won't "get" how to use it.

Some menu items are better off displayed over the whole screen. It would be nicer to have things like contrast, brightness etc all displayed at once and quickly accessible.

There have been some requests for info to be displayed full screen with a transparent background. I would love to see this. I hate stopping a movie or TV Show to look something up.

As for what should be on a "full screen" transparent menu, I think it would be a good idea to follow convention once again. There are plenty of HTPC apps out there including XBMC that have some good ideas to draw from. They were developed with the feedback of a lot of users and if you are trying to draw users away, it would be good to have something they are familiar with.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 06:43:21 pm »

99.9% of everyone that uses the menu will still be confused because they don't have to press enter.

Have you actually tested 1000 people, or are you just guessing?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »

Have you actually tested 1000 people, or are you just guessing?

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but out of the 20 or so people that have tried to use my HTPC, every single one has had difficulty with the OSD. Some could not use it at all. In addition, at least two people I know of decided to pass on MC (after extensive marketing on my part) because Theater View was "too difficult to setup and use". And neither person is a slouch with computers. In addition, both specifically said the OSD was "useless" - their words, not mine.

I'm not trying pick apart the work you have done there, I'm just pointing out what other users have said and what I have observed personally.

rick.ca

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but out of the 20 or so people that have tried to use my HTPC, every single one has had difficulty with the OSD.

That's better. With that, you can be 95% confident at least 78% of the population would be confused. Assuming your sample is not biased due to genetic or social reasons. And you haven't confused confusion with deliberate obnoxiousness. ;D

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:33 am »

While JRiver method may be more "smarter", more efficient, or designed and handed down by super-intelligent beings from another time, it does not follow convention. :) Most people won't "get" how to use it.

Some menu items are better off displayed over the whole screen. It would be nicer to have things like contrast, brightness etc all displayed at once and quickly accessible.

Completely agree with this.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:58 am »

Completely agree with this.

Me too.

And I have to add that things auto-selecting is just plain annoying for me and VERY confusing for visitors.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:01 am »

And I have to add that things auto-selecting if you don't scroll off them in time is just plain annoying for me and VERY confusing for visitors.
What auto selects?  You should have to press OK for anything to be selected.

The logic of the OSD works well, in my opinion.  If a new user doesn't understand it, that's a different issue.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:11 am »

I think Matt's suggestion would make it much more discoverable, and would stop me from constantly going "the wrong way" when trying to find a particular control.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:21 am »

The logic of the OSD works well, in my opinion.  If a new user doesn't understand it, that's a different issue.

You never have to press OK for something to be selected via the OSD and that is a great part of the confusion. For example if you try to select an audio track each time you press right or left arrow the track is selected , the video flickers and the audio cuts out and back in. Very annoying. Same goes for subs.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 08:17:40 am »

That's better. With that, you can be 95% confident at least 78% of the population would be confused. Assuming your sample is not biased due to genetic or social reasons. And you haven't confused confusion with deliberate obnoxiousness. ;D

Actually Matt was incorrect in the assumption that 1000 people needed to be tested to fulfill the test to that precision. I tested 100 people actually and 99 of them were confused. The remaining guy had a split personality and the dominant one was totally confused. The other had no issue but he only come out occasionally, hence the .9%...

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:27 am »

You'd push left and right to flip through choices.  Once you pick one, you'd push up or down to enter into it.  That stage would be a roller of choices for something like subtitles, or a slider for something like contrast, volume, etc.

I like this idea.

Would it be possible to make the items that display configurable, or perhaps auto-organizing based on use? I never play with the color controls.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »

I totally agree Jim, but you play a Bluray and try to see what audio streams, subtitles, titles etc are available though the OSD without it changing on you when you scroll through them, very annoying and often leads to a MC hang as well if I scroll through titles. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

I totally agree Jim, but you play a Bluray and try to see what audio streams, subtitles, titles etc are available though the OSD without it changing on you when you scroll through them, very annoying and often leads to a MC hang as well if I scroll through titles. 
I do play Blu-rays, both ripped and discs.  Which are you playing and with what version of MC?

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »

I do play Blu-rays, both ripped and discs.  Which are you playing and with what version of MC?

All Blurays I have do it, and the I have latest version of 17.

If you up or down arrow to "Titles" in the OSD then left/right doesn't MC try to change title evey time you scroll in the OSD?  I know mine does and so do others.

I'd much rather see a dropdown list of available titles and then be able to select the one I want rather then scrolling through each one (with MC changing each time) and having to remember what all the titles, subtitles, audio streams etc were ... it just seems so user unfriendly to me not to present all the available options on one screen.  There can be a lot of titles, subtitles or audio streams on a BR so at the moment to check what they all are is a real challenge and in fact almost impossible. 

R

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 06:28:41 pm »

All Blurays I have do it, and the I have latest version of 17.
17.0.182?   Are you playing a ripped BD or a disc?
If you up or down arrow to "Titles" in the OSD then left/right doesn't MC try to change title evey time you scroll in the OSD? 
I'm not sure whether it tries, but I can left or right arrow through all and it then plays where I stop.
I know mine does and so do others.

I'd much rather see a dropdown list of available titles and then be able to select the one I want rather then scrolling through each one (with MC changing each time) and having to remember what all the titles, subtitles, audio streams etc were ... it just seems so user unfriendly to me not to present all the available options on one screen.  There can be a lot of titles, subtitles or audio streams on a BR so at the moment to check what they all are is a real challenge and in fact almost impossible. 
Right.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24:42 pm »

17.0.182?   Are you playing a ripped BD or a disc?I'm not sure whether it tries, but I can left or right arrow through all and it then plays where I stop.

Yes 17.0.182 and they are ripped BD's.

If I play Avatar and let MC play the default title, then up arrow to title and press right arrow once, MC jumps to the next title and starts trying to play it (and in fact hangs needing a ctrl-alt-del).  I don't get a chance to press the arrow a second time as it's already tried to pay the next title and hung.

Same with audio stream, but without the hang.  Every time I press the right arrow the audio changes instantly.

Even with your system MC still changes on you without you initiaiting the change with an OK, so if you pause to think if that is the option  you want , bang it's changed and if it isn't what you wanted.. too bad you have it anyway.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 12:29:49 am »

Yes 17.0.182 and they are ripped BD's.

If I play Avatar and let MC play the default title, then up arrow to title and press right arrow once, MC jumps to the next title and starts trying to play it (and in fact hangs needing a ctrl-alt-del).  I don't get a chance to press the arrow a second time as it's already tried to pay the next title and hung.

Same with audio stream, but without the hang.  Every time I press the right arrow the audio changes instantly.

Even with your system MC still changes on you without you initiaiting the change with an OK, so if you pause to think if that is the option  you want , bang it's changed and if it isn't what you wanted.. too bad you have it anyway.

.... yep, and for my money, I don't care if the OSD stays as it is as long as this auto-switching behavior is changed (although seeing what all the available stream/title/etc options are at a glance would be a massive improvement also).
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

LeoB

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 09:15:19 am »

IMHO MC OSD is the weakest spot of otherwise very good piece of software.

I tried almost all commercial/non-commercial software video players released in the last 7 years or so, and in terms of OSD functionality and “family friendliness” none of them can match good old TheaterTek.

If MC developers want to have a look at the TheaterTek OSD I can try to take a few screenshots of it and post them in this thread.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:51 am »

I consider Theater View itself to serve most of the purposes that many of the menuing systems in similar applications serve, and use the "Green Button" to cycle between playing video and Theater View (turning the pause playback feature off).

However, you can't do everything you need to from within Theater View (picking what audio track you want, for example, or turning subs on/off).

I do agree that the OSD (while functional as-is) isn't very discoverable.  It doesn't "feel like" a menu.  It feels like a simple informational display, and so much of it is "hidden" unless you know it is there.  I'm really the only one in my household that knows how to use it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »

I'm really the only one in my household that knows how to use it.

+1
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up