INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to Play Videos with Gizmo on Nexus 7  (Read 3631 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Unable to Play Videos with Gizmo on Nexus 7
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:27:46 pm »

I am unable to play videos with the Gizmo Android app. (Using the Nexus 7) When I try I get a message saying "Flash Player Required. Please install Flash Player from the market to enable video playback."

I have installed several flash players from the Android market, but this does not solve the problem. Further it seems odd that a flash player would be required, as I have the severs set up to convert video to MP4.

How can I address this problem.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Unable to Play Videos with Gizmo on Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:50 am »

Is this possible?

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
Re: Unable to Play Videos with Gizmo on Nexus 7
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:47:15 am »

I have installed several flash players from the Android market, but this does not solve the problem.
Flash is no longer supported on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). The installers from the market won't work and will be kicked out in a few days...
Anyhow, you can try this to get around: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

Further it seems odd that a flash player would be required, as I have the severs set up to convert video to MP4.
I think Gizmo does not use the DLNA server settings, it's based on the MCWS service. So there is no (adjustable) transcoding for Gizmo, and
it needs Flash to play videos with all kind of codecs on the device.

For newer Android devices the situation is now the same as for iOS devices: No Flash = No playback for most codecs. Apps (like Gizmo)
must include non system codecs to play them (Gizmo does not seem to do so...) or use HTML 5 (like WebGizmo) to play the codecs that
are defined for HTML 5 usage. In case of HTML 5, MC would have to transcode the videos in most cases. Unfortunately, HTML 5 support
for video is not finished in WebGizmo and MC is not able to transcode videos on the fly in the required HTML 5 formats...

The above mentioned method for installing Flash on Android 4.1 is not suitable for everybody and may not work on all devices.
I guess there will be a lot of complains from MC users with newer Android devices soon... So thanks to this "Flash disaster", there is some
work to be done for app developers :P

EDIT: Looks like MC18 will solve the problems...
Media Center 18 will add MP4 / h.265 Gizmo streaming.
It looks great at 1MBit, and pretty good at 400KBit.
Early preview versions will begin to appear in a few weeks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up