INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-rip library: How to retain existing metadata (eg composer)?  (Read 1554 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,

Using JR MC 17.0.182 on Win 7 X64 with SP1

I'm in the process of re-ripping my entire audio collection as FLAC (previously a mixture of lossy & lossless rips via i-tunes).  The process I'm using is
  • Updated Auto Import settings to exclude my original Itunes Library & now look at the location I'm storing the FLAC version
  • Rip the disk as FLAC Level 8 via JR MC
  • Delete the previous version from the JR MC library (but leaving it on the physical disk so iTunes still has it)

The ripping process is going OK (a few disks every night), however I've noticed the metadata obtained via JR MC doesn't have the same amount of information as what was obtained from Gracenotes (via Itunes). Most obviously the composer field remains null

I tried submitting track info (from the .M4A file) to the Online database & then performing track lookup on the FLAC file - still didn't get the data, but unsure if there's a delay between upload & the data being available

I'm wondering what's the best way to retain this data

Thanks,

Steve

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re-rip library: How to retain existing metadata (eg composer)?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

Tried stacking the files with the .m4a file on top & updating the composer tag whilst the stack was collapsed.  The flac file didn't get the composer info.

Does YADB hold composer information?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:47:11 pm »

I'm wondering what's the best way to retain this data.

No. Use Edit Commands > Copy / Paste Tags to copy the tags of the existing M4A files to those of the FLAC files. If configured to do so, MC will update the physical tags automatically, or you can use Library Tools > Update Tags (from library) to do so. I'm not sure what data might be available in YADb, but there's no point looking for data you already have. ;)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »

I've been doing something similar with some lower quality MP3's and iTunes Match.  iTunes Match chooses where it wants to put the files initially and it is not in the same place as the original MP3 but this is my process:

Download .m4a file.
Rename .mp3 files to have .m4a extension using the rename utility in MC.
Copy the new .m4a files over the old files, replacing them.
Run update tags from library.
Run update library from tags.
Re-run analyze audio forcing it to re-do analyzed files.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:21 am »

Rick.ca, BartMan01 - thanks for the ideas.

Will be going with Rick.ca's approach.  I didn't know the option was there to just paste metadata.  Pretty happy it handles multiple files at once.  Any idea what the logic for the paste is (same number of files or does it validate filename etc)?

thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up