INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC System Thoughts - Asrock / Assassin HTPC  (Read 16743 times)

Trill304

• Recent member
HTPC System Thoughts - Asrock / Assassin HTPC
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »

I was curious if anyone on the forums had experience with HTPC systems by either of these two companies and products?

In particular I would be looking at the Vision HT (There will be a higher end Vision X in the Q3 timeframe)
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Vision%20HT%20Series/

and the Videophile Series from Assassin
http://assassinhtpc.com/performance.php

I'd be looking to have JRiver be my software from end and primarily stream content from a NAS setup (probably Synology) and pair with a Denon receiver with some martin logan speakers.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
Re: HTPC System Thoughts - Asrock / Assassin HTPC
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:16 pm »

I never tried either product, but you can build your own HTPC for less money.   It is not really that difficult. 
I have built 3 so far, but looking at the specs of the Asrock, it could be slightly noisy.   It uses a SATA hard drive. 
The Asrock sound like it is using on board audio from the sound card.   (both companies only offer 1 year warranty).
Now, when I build my own pc.  I use either Asus or Gigabyte motherboards and get 3 year warranties.  CPU from intel is 3 years.
Ram is lifetime.  If you go with a SSD drive, then it is typically 3 to 5 years depending  on the brand. 

Let me know if you want me to spec you out a system, but don't limit yourself with these brands.  Also, most local computer stores will build a pc for around $80 to $100. 
Here is a good parts list from a company that specializes in building a fanless pc.  http://www.goodwinshighend.com/silentmusicservers.htm  It will link to this site.
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanless_music_server.html
You can have this company build it or build your own.  I just use their parts, but I use the Asus Xonar Essence ST for the audio card, and I found a company that has the H6 for multichannel.
I have a thread about it in sound cards.  Another card that is similar is the HT Claro PLus, and you can buy that from Newegg. 

Jeff

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »

i LOVE my AsRock CoreHT.  Integrated graphics (HD3000) rather than the combo found in the Vision series.

Love it.  With an SSD it is basically silent from a few feet away.  Faster than anything I need.  Plays 720 and bluray rips without issue.

I dont think I would have ponied up full price for it, but scored a SICK deal on New Egg on a open box.

-Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:24 pm »

I never tried either product, but you can build your own HTPC for less money.   It is not really that difficult.  

This is the most tired response to requests for thoughts/suggestions on HTPCs.  You can always count on it.  As with ANYTHING in the world, DIY will always be cheaper.  Obviously.  This isn't all that helpful of a response.

Yes, you can do it on the cheap, but one of these "pre-built" customs will certainly prevent tears before bedtime.

If you build an HTPC from the ground up you will need a bit more computer knowledge than average.  Making sure the BIOS and Motherboard play correctly with everything else, that desired components will fit in the box, that it all fires up when done, isn't always as seamless as you imply.  Especially when dealing with "mobile" components that you find in those AsRocks.  I dont see many people building up their own laptops or netbooks.

Doing a small form-factor HTPC for less means buying parts and pieces online (tough to return), and hoping it all comes together AND does what you need it to in the end.  

It find it VERY analogous to fixing/maintaining a car.  Sure, I can change my own oil for 1/2 of what Jiffy Lube charges, but it is NEVER going to happen.  Brakes?  Forget it.  Timing belt?  Can you guys come over and help me pull my engine?

In order to build up a mini-PC you really need:
A) to really enjoy this type of activity (you will be opening and closing the box a few times)
B) the knowledge of how basic computer systems work (rarer than you think)
C) access to an expert (obviously people posting questions like this are not) who can suss out issues.
etc...

Just a thought.
-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Trill304

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:48:43 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing a build you would put together Sparks67.  I went to that link and 3k for a media center pc is a bit rich for my blood.  I barely spend 2k for my main pcs. when I build.   I  have built my last 3 pcs so I am pretty comfortable with that.  Is building a htpc comparable to that or much more complex due to the small form factor?

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

This is the most tired response to requests for thoughts/suggestions on HTPCs.  You can always count on it.  As with ANYTHING in the world, DIY will always be cheaper.  Obviously.  This isn't all that helpful of a response.

Yes, you can do it on the cheap, but one of these "pre-built" customs will certainly prevent tears before bedtime.

If you build an HTPC from the ground up you will need a bit more computer knowledge than average.  Making sure the BIOS and Motherboard play correctly with everything else, that desired components will fit in the box, that it all fires up when done, isn't always as seamless as you imply.  Especially when dealing with "mobile" components that you find in those AsRocks.  I dont see many people building up their own laptops or netbooks.

Doing a small form-factor HTPC for less means buying parts and pieces online (tough to return), and hoping it all comes together AND does what you need it to in the end.  

It find it VERY analogous to fixing/maintaining a car.  Sure, I can change my own oil for 1/2 of what Jiffy Lube charges, but it is NEVER going to happen.  Brakes?  Forget it.  Timing belt?  Can you guys come over and help me pull my engine?

In order to build up a mini-PC you really need:
A) to really enjoy this type of activity (you will be opening and closing the box a few times)
B) the knowledge of how basic computer systems work (rarer than you think)
C) access to an expert (obviously people posting questions like this are not) who can suss out issues.
etc...

Just a thought.
-Patrick

Patrick,

I don't recommend that he pursue a mobile pc, but that is up to him.   Here is HFX website, they do have diy cases, in micro size.   http://www.hfx.at/  

Well, I done lot of research on next generation UHDTV, and Apple is pursuing Thunderbolt.  The latest rumour is that iPanel will have Thunderbolt.   So, the question is Thunderbolt a replacement for HDMI?   The motherboard needs to be designed around the Thunderbolt board.  That limits him to ATX.   I recommend the Asus P8Z77-V Pro Thunderbolt.  This gives him 2 PCI slots on the motherboard.  I also have a Denon 5308 receiver, so he is limited on audio cards to use.  I recommend the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 H6 Extension Card (Compatible with Xonar Essence ST) and he have to get the full card as well.  Gigabyte has a dual thunderbolt motherboard out, but only 1 PCI slot.  

The problem with the mobile design is that it limits you.  Areca is coming out with nice 8 drive storage system with Raid, but it is going to be Thunderbolt. Bluray takes lots of hard disk space.   There is a optical thunderbolt cable coming out, so it allows you to set the nas away from you.  Thunderbolt gives you more flexible design and that is what you need in an HTPC.   I built my first second HTPC in the cabinet.   It was noisy.   So, I built an HTPC server, but I have a basement, so I have the cables running up to me.  I run my entire setup with an Ipad.  No noise now.  

It find it VERY analogous to fixing/maintaining a car.  Sure, I can change my own oil for 1/2 of what Jiffy Lube charges, but it is NEVER going to happen.  Brakes?  Forget it.  Timing belt?  Can you guys come over and help me pull my engine?

Jiffy Lube? Maybe I better not tell you the story about the guy going to jiffy lube, and they forgot to tighten oil filter. http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-brought-my-car-to-jiffy-lube-for-an-oil-change---423674.html  Naah, I better teach you something.  

Easy to change the oil.  I do this all myself, but I do have a 67 RS Camaro as well.   Just need 2 people to pull an engine and cherry picker.  I just can't paint cars, it is rather pita.   Well, I get runs on painting. Although, I have done bodywork too. Actually, I move my entire car by myself with these GoJaks. http://www.gojaks.com/   I got tired of asking friends, so I just do it myself.  My 67 Camaro just needs to be finished.   Perhaps, I should post it sometime.   Anyway, do the work yourself.   Then it gets done right!

Jeff

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing a build you would put together Sparks67.  I went to that link and 3k for a media center pc is a bit rich for my blood.  I barely spend 2k for my main pcs. when I build.   I  have built my last 3 pcs so I am pretty comfortable with that.  Is building a htpc comparable to that or much more complex due to the small form factor?

I sent you some ideas via PM.   If you want the small factor, then find a good case.  I like the HFX cases, but that is up to you. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up