INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Restore Library from MC15 into MC17  (Read 1137 times)

haralson

• Recent member
How to Restore Library from MC15 into MC17
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »

I just upgraded from MC15 to MC17 (I skipped MC16). Before starting the process, I made sure to save the latest version of my MC15 library so I could use it in MC17.

In MC17, when I go to File > Library > Restore Library I get an empty folder (because nothing has been put there).

In MC15, when I go to File > Library > Restore Library I find 20 library folders, including the one I want.

When I select "Restore Library" in MC17, I am unable to Browse to the comparable folder in MC15. That seems like a logical approach, but apparently it is not the correct one.

In MC15, Windows tells me that my Backup folders are located at C:/Documents & Settings > [My computer] > Application Data > J River > Media Center 15 > Library Backups.

But I am unable to find such a sequence of folders when I attempt to browse from the Restore Library window in MC17. (Nor am I able to find that sequence of folders when I browse for it in MC15.) When I go to C:/ > Documents & Settings, I find nothing that resembles the sequence of folders described above.

How do import my MC15 library backup files into MC17?

[I do not want to let the software create the library automatically, as I have structured my library very specifically to meet my needs.]

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to Restore Library from MC15 into MC17
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

I just upgraded from MC15 to MC17 (I skipped MC16). Before starting the process, I made sure to save the latest version of my MC15 library so I could use it in MC17.

In MC17, when I go to File > Library > Restore Library I get an empty folder (because nothing has been put there).

In MC15, when I go to File > Library > Restore Library I find 20 library folders, including the one I want.

When I select "Restore Library" in MC17, I am unable to Browse to the comparable folder in MC15. That seems like a logical approach, but apparently it is not the correct one.
When you choose Restore Library, you should see a Browse button.

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

Yes, I found the Browse button. Earlier, I found nothing there. This time I found a folder and installed it. It contained only five tracks from two different albums, apparently chosen at random. The title of the album was "Unassigned", and it showed cover art associated with no album in my collection.

How do I import the nearly 500 albums from MC15?

NickF

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »

I haven't used MC15 so I don't know whether backup works in the same way as MC17.  In 17, using library > Backup, you can choose where the backup zip file is saved so choose a location you are sure about.  In MC17, using Library > Restore, browse to that location.  The file will be dated when you did the save.

I assume MC17 can read MC15 library backups.

Make sure that your main library with your 500 Albums is loaded when you do the backup.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »

I continue, with no luck, to seek a solution.

When I try to BROWSE in MC17 to Restore my library, I am able to navigate to the indicated folder (C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\J River\Media Center 17). Problem is, that folder contains only a couple of partial libraries created since I registered MC17. It does NOT contain the complete libraries created by MC15 -- including the one I would like to restore/install/import into MC17.

I am NOT ABLE to BROWSE to MC15 from the MC17 window because the indicated folder (C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\J River\Media Center 15) DOES NOT EXIST as I attempt to browse. That is the "address" of the library folders for MC15, according to my Windows search engine, but there is NO "Application Data" folder inside the "John" folder, inside "Documents and Settings".

I tried everything I can think of, including attempting to copy-and-paste the library address from MC15 into MC17, but that does not work, either.

Surely, there must be a provision to transfer a library from an older version of Media Center into a newer version.

NickF

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:56 am »

The AppData folder is a hidden one.  Go to Windows Control Panel and select Folders.  Select Folder Options and select the View tab.  Change "Hidden Files and folders" to show and click on Apply.  Note that the path is AppData, not Application Data.

If this doesn't work, do what I suggested above and in MC15, do a manual save of your library to somewhere simple like your Documents folder.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:22:06 am »

Thanks, Nick. Surely one of your two solutions will work. Previously, I attempted to save the MC 15 library backup to my Desktop but I was unable to do so. Today, it worked. So that alternative is available. I shall also try to flush out the hidden folders!

As you probably can tell from my posts, I am resistant to change and not very "technically inclined". I use Media Center solely to play high-res audio files -- absolutely nothing else. My music collection is 99+% classical, which has a unique set of library challenges. I upgraded to MC 17 only at the insistence of a friend. Considering my application of the application (so to speak) what improvements in performance should I see/hear? Same question for upcoming MC 18. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up