INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17 Slow CD Rip Performance  (Read 2274 times)

Banzai

• Recent member
MC 17 Slow CD Rip Performance
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:22 am »

Currently running MC 17.0.33.

My CD rip performance is painfully slow... around 3.4x.  It was definitely much faster in the past on MC16.  I played with the expert options and noticed that the slowness when I separate ripping and encoding is the actual rip portion not encoding.  But I'm encoding using LAME to 320k MP3 format.  My current DVD/CD-RW drive might be slower than when I ran MC16 but not that slow.  Here are the drive specs:
•Toshiba TS-H653T 16x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive

•16x read speed (DVD)
•48x write speed (CD-R)
•32x rewrite speed (CD-RW)
•48x read speed (CD)

The MC17 server is running on Win7 OS, quad core AMD, 6GB RAM, SSD (OS, MC, MC Library database), sata drive for music files.

Do I just need to update, or is there some option I need to adjust?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 17 Slow CD Rip Performance
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:29:18 am »

The current version is 17.0.182.  It's on the download page.  Just download and install.

Banzai

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:28 pm »

Thanks.  I almost didn't want to assume that it was just the version I was running.  I upgraded and rip speed went from consistent 3.5x to a range from 7x-11.5x.  Definitely an improvement.  I am not sure what I should expect at this point.  But at least the average rip time has been cut to less than half of what it was before.

Indyscammer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:43 am »

So first time user here....I downloaded the trial version on Sunday and have started playing with ripping CDs into FLAC files.  My first 20-25 CDs ripped were consistently ripping in the 5-6x range.  Starting last night this spped has dropped to .3x.  This started when trying to rip my U2 Boy CD (interesting side note - the tracks on the CD are .cda files).  This CD took about 3 hours to rip.  I have ripped a few disks since this time and actual time to completion has increased but the rip speed consistently shows .2-.3x.

My question, is what factors into the overall performance of ripping?  I have seen mention of virus software being disabled in other threads so I assume anything that runs in the background can affect performance as it loads the processor.

What I don't understand is why the sudden change?  Is it something that happened with that particular CD or should I be looking at things on my PC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:29 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Did you try a reboot?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »

So first time user here....I downloaded the trial version on Sunday and have started playing with ripping CDs into FLAC files.  My first 20-25 CDs ripped were consistently ripping in the 5-6x range.  Starting last night this spped has dropped to .3x.  This started when trying to rip my U2 Boy CD (interesting side note - the tracks on the CD are .cda files).  This CD took about 3 hours to rip.  I have ripped a few disks since this time and actual time to completion has increased but the rip speed consistently shows .2-.3x.

My question, is what factors into the overall performance of ripping?  I have seen mention of virus software being disabled in other threads so I assume anything that runs in the background can affect performance as it loads the processor.

What I don't understand is why the sudden change?  Is it something that happened with that particular CD or should I be looking at things on my PC?

Sometimes when you rip a CD that requires lots of re-reads, Windows decides to change to way the CD/DVD drive transfers data to the PC.  It changes the transfer method from something like "UltraDMA mode 5" to something like "PIO" (for programmed I/O.).

Look at the settings for IDE ATA/ATAPI devices in Control panel / Device Manager. 

Bill

Indyscammer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I tried a reboot (first thing actually).  So I verified DMA is the current mode.  The really strange thing is that my rip time is really back to normal...in that total elapsed time per disc is about the same as when I first started but the display is still reading 0.2x in the Rip Progress window.  Not a big deal except I can't help but feel it could be going faster.

I will keep plugging away....this is an ancient desktop that I am playing around with to try and make into my first HTPC.

AMD Sempron 3200
Windows XP 2002

Any additional ideas are welcome.

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »

I too am having problems with slow rips to the library .Have latest MC 17 version as of 11/2/12. Did install unified wireless keyboard & mouse yesterday. I can't find the IDE ATA/ATPI in the device manager ,it's not there.Speed never changes ( set at max )
Pages: [1]   Go Up