INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems playing FLAC files [Solved]  (Read 6476 times)

Awesomeade

• Recent member
Problems playing FLAC files [Solved]
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:23:03 pm »

I recently purchased an OK Go album in .flac format as part of a package. All of the other songs that are not a part of this album are in .flac format as well and they play flawlessly. The issue is, all of the songs that are in the OK Go album do not play properly, and when I attempt to play them, it does not play and I get the following pop-up message: "Something went wrong with playback."

These same files can be played perfectly fine through VLC, but for whatever reason, MC17 has an issue with them.

Does anyone have an idea that the problem could be?

jolo

• World Citizen
Re: Problems playing FLAC files.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »

I hope you can get a good answer on this.I can play FLAC audio with no problems on MP17.

I archive all of my music that I got from CDs to FLAC and keep that as my digital archive for my music.
I also encode my Flac audio to Ogg (Q6), as well as copy those Ogg audio files to my Cowon portable media player as well as to my
   Samsung Tab. ,

While on my computer, I play the losless Flac.

I don't have a problem with this, but I was wondering if you uninstalled and re-installed MP, if that might fix things for FLAC.

The fact that it plays FLAC on VLC (which I have as well), I think is a good sign. It tells me that the Flac files are not corrupted.

I have used MP for so long, I don't remember having to download a Flac add-on.

In general, Flac codecs can be found here http://rarewares.org/lossless.phpat rarewares, where you can find the latest versions of codecs and encoders.

I hope someone from J River gets you an answer. Anyone who is playing Flac is a smart, resourceful person.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »

Make sure you have the latest build of MC17 installed.  It's 17.0.182.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:44:17 am »

Make sure you have the latest build of MC17 installed.  It's 17.0.182.

As I mentioned, before, I have no problems playing Flac audo with MC17, but I don't mean to discredit Awesomeade's issues with FLC.
I am using the latest version 17.0.182, as Jim has suggested.

Jim, do you think that Awesomeade should possibly uninstall his current version of MC17, before installing 17.0.182 ?
Just a thought.

Jon

Awesomeade

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

Hey, sorry for replying to your responses. I just sort of assumed that I would receive an email when someone replied to me, and when I received none, I just assumed it didn't receive any attention. I appreciate your replies, but unfortunately I am still having the same problem.

This is after doing a fresh Windows install (for unrelated reasons) and re-installing all of my software, including MC17. I am running the latest build of MC17 (17.0.185) and almost everything I stated in my initial post has remained the same. The only exception, is that I have noticed occasional problems with songs that were included in other albums. They play fine most of the time, but occasionally, whatever track is playing will cut off and I will receive the same message as before. The OK Go songs still do not play at all.

Again, thanks for your replies. I hope I can figure this out.

down4jazz

• Junior Woodchuck
This is perplexing
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:55 am »

typically, if 98% of your FLAC files play then there is nothing wrong with JRiver playback and I would look at the files themselves. Do they play elsewhere okay? How about another computer? I have almost 3000 cds ripped in FLAC from WAV and some converted from AIFF and have never had a problem....yet :) When you say as part of a "package" what does that mean exactly? From what source did you get the download?

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:47 am »

I recently purchased an OK Go album in .flac format as part of a package. All of the other songs that are not a part of this album are in .flac format as well and they play flawlessly. The issue is, all of the songs that are in the OK Go album do not play properly, and when I attempt to play them, it does not play and I get the following pop-up message: "Something went wrong with playback."

These same files can be played perfectly fine through VLC, but for whatever reason, MC17 has an issue with them.

Does anyone have an idea that the problem could be?

FLAC is the way to go for archiving as well as listening if you want the same quality as the original.
I play only FLAC and OOG.

Awesomeade,
Can you attach one of the files or if you want, I could give you my email address and/or I can give you a web area two post the non-working files to.

What has been cool is some artists who care about how their music sounds, sell their latest work as a FLAC download. It usually cost about a $1 more than their digital CD online. It is against the license to charge anyone for the use of the FLAC format, but the extra buck is because the files are larger than MP3s and take more bandwidth to be downloaded.
Ogg also is by far the best compressed format.

If you want to get me the files that don't work, let me know.

Jon  ;D

Awesomeade

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »

Alright, so after my last post, I decided to do some more work to figure out the problem myself. I downloaded the FLAC Tester, and upon testing the OK Go Album, I found that all 16 of the included tracks were corrupt. I'm not sure why VLC had no issues with the files, but the FLAC Tester was telling me all 16 songs in the album were bad.

So, despite having done so twice already, I re-downloaded the album from the Humble Bundle site (I got it as part of the Humble Music Bundle) and found that upon extracting and testing the files, they were all okay.

I don't know what caused the issue, but it's been resolved now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up