INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virus checker causes skipping  (Read 4904 times)

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
Virus checker causes skipping
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:13:26 am »

I've been using the media jukebox for about a month, I suppose. I've only got about 125-albums on it thus far; a teeny-weeny part of my collection. This morning, whilst the A.V.G. scan was running, the tracks were sticking, well, like sticky things. Captain Beefheart was playing at the time. Not good. I adjusted the A.V.G. scan to 'low priority'. No dice. I paused it, and all was well.

Now then, the scan, indeed anything other running, has played havoc with the jukebox. Surely a measly 125-albums can't be overloading the thing?

I'm going to want to put a hell of a lot more stuff on the jukebox in the days, weeks and months to come. Should I upgrade to the full media centre thang? I eschewed the aforementioned due to the fact that I only want audio stuff on it. My PC is connected to my amp and stereo speakers. Not my TV. Putting my DVDs on my PC isn't something I have the faintest intention of ever doing. I reasoned that having tons of resources re., vision-ons, would be a waste of valuable space on my PC.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice/criticism.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Virus checker causes skipping
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:53:04 am »

That is a problem with the virus checker.  There is no reason to scan and rescan your media files.

Disk activity may be the reason the file is skipping.

You could also consider using a different virus checker.

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:27 am »

Media files aren't scanned, chief.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

There were weired things going on with AntiVirus Programs in the past.

I also had skipping problems connected to an AV Program. For me it was MCs logging (Help -> Logging), which causes the skipps.

To start isolating the problem, you could add all MC related folders as exception to your AV.

There are at least three folder in question:
  • Program Folder (eg. c:\Program Files\J River Media Jukebox\)
  • Data Folder (eg. c:\users\[username]\appdata\roaming\j river\media Jukebox xx\)
  • Folder containing your Media Files.

There is also one file in windows system folder (c:\Windows\System32\MJ14.exe. )

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:19:21 am »

Thanks for the advice. However, the point I was making hasn't been spotted: I never had any playback problems until I had over one-hundred albums on the jukebox. E.g., adding files now takes a lot longer than previously. Things seem generally slower than hithertofore.

Do I need to upgrade to the full 'media centre' bit-of-kit?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:34:17 am »

Definitely NO.

I don't use MJ14 for a longer time, but I used it for testing when it was released. I had the same library in MJ and the full-featured MC. Both were equal fast.

I'll try again and give you feedback how it operates for me now. Maybe I get the time tomorrow.

Anyway: MediaCenter is always worth the money! It has so many more fancy features and since MC17 also the video features are outstanding! If you're thinking to buy: till August 10th there is a special offer, you should use! It's good for actual MC17 & the upcoming MC18

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:36:55 am »

What exactly do you do when seeing the slow downs? Just using auto import? I'll try to reproduce...

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »

I don't use 'auto-import'. The information is always way off (as a heck of a lot of my discs are CDRs or very obscure). I 'import' manually. It's not exactly SLOW, as in a snail, but what, 100-cds ago, used to take a second or less, now takes ten-seconds or more.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:53:44 am »

OK, I see what you mean.

MJCshows ~35.500 library entries | adding 1029 mp3 files | takes 1:05 Min
MJCshows ~00.000 library entries | adding 1029 mp3 files | takes 0:10 Min
MCJshows ~76.600 library entries | adding 1029 mp3 files | takes 0:04 Min

(for all tests I used the same PC and the same set of mp3-files)

MediaJukebox is more than six times faster with an empty library. No idea whats going on. Gave it a try with the latest build of MediaCenter (17.0.182). It's way faster than the "old" MediaJukebox as you can see above!

(In fact MediaCenter even faster: for the MediaJukebox test I used drag&drop to import the new files. But doing so, Media Center was so fast, I couldn't even stop the time. So I had to use the auto import to import the files. Because the folder also contained other files and subfolders the pure import of the same set of files is even faster than 4 seconds)

Conclusion: I don't think this is something connected to your VirusChecker. Looks more like some kind of limitation of MediaJukebox 14. I'd bet, MediaCenter 14 would be slow in the same way as MediaJukebox is because they use the same code base (as far as I know). But obviously the JRiver-Team did a fantastic job in the last two years (MediaJukebox & MediaCenter 14 are July 2010).

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:51 am »

Thanks for the information. Sorry for the tardy response: I was told I'd no new replies. I'm going to be ripping tons and tons of CDs to the jukebox. I'm converting 'em to .flac whilst ripping. Mammoth fun creating mammoth playlists; even more fun listing to 'em!

I tried loads of other bits of kit. such as MediaMonkey, V.L.T., Foobar, bar, bar, bar, Barbara Ann, et al. I'm not geekified enough, and have no plans to be in the near or distant future, to write scripts packed to the gunwales with hieroglyphic computer jargon. The jukebox's '[Rating]=4,5 [Media Type]=[audio] ~sort=[Random] ~t=74m' sort of smartlist compilation combinations boggleth my mind, somewhat. However, dragging and dropping stuff into the 'new playlist' box is easy-peasy enough for even a Luddite dolt such as I...   

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

MediaMonkey, V.L.T., Foobar, bar, bar, bar, Barbara Ann
:D

The jukebox's '[Rating]=4,5 [Media Type]=[audio] ~sort=[Random] ~t=74m' sort of smartlist compilation combinations boggleth my mind, somewhat.
Hm, no need to use it. You can easily create smartlists using the smartlist editor?! Can also be used to do advanced searches (without having to use the complex syntax): just click the little arrow in the left corner of the search window and select "Wizard...".

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:52 am »

Thanks a million, chief. I've used the smartlist editor to good effect.

I play the clarinet and soprano saxophone, read music and have spent nearly all of my forty-seven years on the planet entranced with music and literature.

I'm a simpleton, but I'm an audiophile in the truest sense of the word: a lover of music.

You are a gent.

Pink Spazz Lancer

• Recent member
Hop, skip and jumping tracks.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:08 am »

I now have '2534 Files (66.0 GB- 8.1 days)' on the jukebox. Not much at all, really, however, using my PC now causes the above problems. Just stuff like opening and closing windows/programs, clicking on things, typing and, well, doing stuff.

I'm sure that this shouldn't be happening with so little on the jukebox.

Any advice?
Pages: [1]   Go Up