INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I purchased MC17 this month, now I have to pay for MC18 ??  (Read 4709 times)

nshort

I purchased MC17 this month, now I have to pay for MC18 ??
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

I purchased MC17 this month, now I have to pay for MC18 ?? >:(

Its costing me more to keep up to date with MC than it is for windows ??

Please, this happened to me after I bought MC16 too, not again, please  >:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I purchased MC17 this month, now I have to pay for MC18 ??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »

If you bought after July 10, you received an MC18 license. 

nshort

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:00:37 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I purchaced on the 1st  :-\

Any chance of a concession ?

I do think that one month should be a reasonable period to expect a free upgrade.

Microsoft are letting us have free upgrades to windows 8, after a much longer period.!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:06:33 am »

MC18 has just been announced, its not really available yet, so your one month period has not really started yet.
Same arguments as every time this comes up, you just have to define a fixed date, if they extend it to the 1st now, someone will come that purchased it on the last of June and wants it too, and so on.

Also, if you already had the same issue when going from MC16 to MC17, you then waited all this time until you bought MC17?
New releases happen about every 9 to 10 month, so next time plan ahead =)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:25 am »

What we do need to remember (and I admit I did not) is most companies would not be mentioning their new version until much, much closer to release. If the upgrade was first offered when finalised, maybe next year, then all those who bought in June/early July would not even consider they were due a free upgrade.

Really JRiver are offering free upgrades from 17-18 to all who buy within about 6-9 months of MC18's release, which is actually very generous.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:06:09 am »

JRiver are offering free upgrades from 17-18 to all who buy within about 6-9 months of MC18's release, which is actually very generous.

For what we get - even the full price for MC is still a bloody bargain. I think folks need to give their head a shake if they think 20 bucks is too much to pay for this kind if quality.

Jeez - folks drop 20 on lunch or parking in a day and think nothing of it...yet this a cause for concern?

VP

nshort

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

OK, I get it.

We are paying a subscription every 9 to 10 months. !

At least I am getting something for my money (a good product  ;)).  I live in the venue for the the Olympic sailing and my taxes will be paying for that for many years to come >:(.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

We are paying a subscription every 9 to 10 months. !

It is generally once per year, though the exact date fluctuates.  They just do it when "it makes sense" based on finishing up projects from the "old version" before starting new big changes for the new version.

FWIW, the first builds of MC17 were released in September 2011.  So we're just a smidge shy of 1 year.  Generally, expect that when active development of the old version slows down (as it has here for the past month or two) and new builds are mostly minor tweaks and bug fixes, that a new version is coming soon.

However, I disagree with the characterization of their model as "subscription".  A subscription software licensing model assumes that if you stop paying for the subscription, you lose access to ALL of the versions you ever had, new or old.  JRiver does NOT do that.

MC17 will still be just as good in six months as it was for you two weeks ago, and it is likely that they'll continue to release new builds here-and-there with minor bug fixes for the next 2-6 months or so (until it is "done").  It will always keep working, and for the next few months, will probably be much more stable and less troublesome than using MC18 would be.  It is not a subscription.  It is just a yearly update cycle, like many other applications have.

But, yes, to review... There will probably be a MC19 released sometime next Summer/Fall.  When they do that, they'll offer an "early-bird upgraders discount".  You can decide when you want to take the plunge.  However, if you've waited on MC18 until July or so of next year, and you look at Interact and see that the current build is 9 days old and the one before that lasted two weeks?

That might seem to you to indicate "it is stable, this is a good time to buy".  But what it REALLY means is MC19 is coming soon.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »

MC17 is so good that some people may not need the new features in MC18+ and may decide to delay upgrading. I choose to upgrade because I want to support this amazing little software company.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »

MC17 will still be just as good in six months as it was for you two weeks ago[/b], and it is likely that they'll continue to release new builds here-and-there with minor bug fixes for the next 2-6 months or so (until it is "done").  

Well - v17 already has the tag "development complete" so I doubt we will see any further builds of 17.

That being said - it's so stable now that even if 18 is several months away - it's all good. I never move to a version until the build number passes 70 or so (x.0.70) so I have no issue getting a license early and getting some cash flow to the MC crew...

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »

We will probably release another build or two with bug fixes, but there won't be any other changes in MC17.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37:20 pm »

I choose to upgrade because I want to support this amazing little software company.
Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:45:34 pm »

I choose to upgrade because I want to support this amazing little software company.

Agreed.  I bought it the second I first read about the option.  I haven't installed a build yet.

Queue Jim's chicken picture in 4, 3, 2...

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »

Well, you missed the date, if you buy MC 18 now, you won't have this issue when MC 19 is announced.
You'll be ahead of the game then.  If you wait until after 8/10, MC 18 will cost more.
With such a good product, it seems stupid to not purchase it in advance.  I certainly have not been disappointed to date!
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 01:29:20 am »

Agreed.  I bought it the second I first read about the option.  I haven't installed a build yet.

Cue Jim's chicken picture in 4, 3, 2...

In exactly the same boat. Bought and installed, but don't use it for now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:19:22 am »

NickF

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »

Bought it, using it, worth every penny!

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:15:51 pm »

Bought it, using it, worth every penny!

Nick.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 03:55:57 am »

Yup, it's a no brainer for me. Upgrade every year as MC just rocks and just bought the MC18 upgrade. Well done guys for producing an excellent piece of software. Cannot wait to try MC18.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up