INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upsampling and convolution (at the same time) question  (Read 2336 times)

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
Upsampling and convolution (at the same time) question
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »

I would love to know where/when J River applies upsampling as I would like to play with it and listen to the differences in sound based on the different sample rates. (if there are any--if that feature is meant for something else and really doesn't effect sound quality much/at all, please chime in and give me your opinion on that too.)

Does the upsampling in J River apply to ALL tracks/files being played (including the convolution file)?   If it does, in theory I could "upsample" a track AND the corresponding Audiolense file all at one time to play back at any rate (including 192K) without worrying about a mismatch in the sample rate of the music and the convolution filter.

Otherwise I'm limited to 96k upsampling since I can upsample in J River, and match that with a 96k filter from Audiolense   I'm listening to it all upsampled to 96k right now (so I know that it works--my Lynx 2B mixer shows 96k output on all 7 channels), just don't know if higher sample rates are possible.

I use J River to output an active crossover file (via the convolution feature) that feeds my 3.5 way, active speakers.    I have created 44.1khz XO files with Audiolense to match the sample rate of all my CDs.    Thats why I'm hesitant to try any sample rates above 96k--if something unexpected happens and the filter doesn't work, I might be sending full range sound to the tweeters.

That may not be how it would work if the sample rates don't match, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

I may be missing something, (or even be just wrong--won't be the first or last time :))  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Upsampling and convolution (at the same time) question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:09 pm »

You can upsample to any sample rate your hardware supports using DSP Studio > Output Format.

Convolution will likewise resample any filter to the output sample rate.

There's some debate about whether resampling convolution files this way is a good idea, which is why we're planning to also allow filter-switching based on the sample rate when using convolution in v18.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:07:35 am »

Thanks for the reply Matt.  Good to know on all fronts--I'll see what I hear.

Great software!

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »

You can upsample to any sample rate your hardware supports using DSP Studio > Output Format.

Convolution will likewise resample any filter to the output sample rate.

There's some debate about whether resampling convolution files this way is a good idea, which is why we're planning to also allow filter-switching based on the sample rate when using convolution in v18.
Hi Matt,
And what about playing files at 96khz (or 176-192) having creating "XO" and freq. corrections filters with the MC17's DSP tools EQ1-2, all that measured via REW's sweeps in loopback at 44.1 khz?
thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up