INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browser based Theater View (random suggestion)  (Read 2947 times)

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
Browser based Theater View (random suggestion)
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »

So lately I've been messing around with the theming of Theater View in v17 and while I'm not even remotely considered a good coder, it just feels limited what you can accomplish by editing XML files and whatnot.

I think Jim in another thread said that they probably won't be changing Theater View much for v18.

I haven't played with Gizmo much, but it got me thinking a little bit.

One idea that popped into my head would be a front-end, maybe not replacing Theater View but maybe another option, that was basically just a 10' web page without the title-bar, etc.  It could be HTML (5?) or PHP based and just kinda be a visual front-end of the data that already exists in the database.  I would think that the good coders could make really cool themes.

Then again I could be completely full of crap, that's happened before.  Or maybe something like WebGizmo is already along those lines, as I mentioned, I haven't really played with it.

**EDIT**  Random humor.  I typed in a search here for webgizmo and what came up was:

"You may have meant to search for buxom."

**ANOTHER EDIT** Changed TV to "Theater View" because in retrospect, in my head when I was typing TV I was thinking Theater View and not Television.  My bad

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Browser based Theater View (random suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »

I think Jim in another thread said that they probably won't be changing TV much for v18.
I don't believe I said that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »

Do you mean television or Theater View.  Please spell it out if you mean Theater View.

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »

From the Feature Requests thread:

It will probably remain the same or similar.

Anyway, I was thinking more Theater View alternative.  What I see on AVS quite a bit and to some extent here is that people really like the "oohs" and "aahs" of XBMC (personally I hate XBMC) and MediaBrowser fluff and I was just thinking of different ways that people might be able to achieve some of the glitz within MC

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »

Sorry, I cleared up my original post.  It made sense in my head, but when I re-read it I see the confusion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

From the Feature Requests thread:

He just meant the skinning system, not necessarily the features of Theater View itself.

WebGizmo is pretty close to what you're looking for, though maybe not as slick or capable as you're hoping currently.  You should check it out.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

WebGizmo is pretty close to what you're looking for, though maybe not as slick or capable as you're hoping currently.  You should check it out.

Yeah, I fired up WebGizmo and it looked pretty slick, then I got side-tracked by women's volleyball in the Olympics.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up