INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading JRiver MediaCenter onto an external hard drive and also onto a usb stick  (Read 3634 times)

plectrum

I have just purchased the above program after a few problems.  I wanted to choose which drive to put the program on, but it automatically put it onto the C drive.  It also automatically installed all the audio files from my computer, which I did not want.  So now I would like to install just the program without any audio files, onto my external drive and also onto my usb stick.  How can I do this please.  So far not too impressed with what has occurred, but early days.
Would be grateful for some guidance, please remember I am new to this program.
Many thanks
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks for the purchase.

After you've installed, the only way to move the program is to uninstall, then install again at the new location.

When a fresh install launches, it will ask if you want it to automatically import in the Action Window at the lower left of the program.  You can click and manually configure it if you like.

There's also a thing called a 'Portable Install' for USB sticks.  You access this by doing a 'Custom' install.  You will have to have a licensed, regular install on the computer before you can do portable installs.  Portable installs have some limitations, so I would try a regular install when possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

plectrum

To Matt,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.  I now have the program on my main computer and I have also been able to put the program onto two of my portable external hard drives.  However, it was not without its problems.  The program loaded onto my main computer without any problem, once i had uninstalled it, and started again.  However, when I came to try and load it onto my external hard drives, it caused the computer to crash.  The only way I found to circumnavigate this, was to run a program called C Cleaner on my C drive.  After doing this it loaded.  I was pleased to find that there was nothing in the library of the program on the external hard drive, so I was able to load the first CD into the library.  But, without my doing anything, the program started to load all the music files on my main computer, which I did not want.  I was able to stop it.  But several minutes later, I noticed it had loaded all the files from my main computer anyway.  Do you know why it does this, and is there a way to avoid this occurring.
Also I have tried to load the program onto two of my USB portable sticks, but it causes the computer to crash each time.  I am running Windows 7 64 bit OS on my main computer.  Do you know why this is happening?
Many thanks.
Regards
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You can set your import options in Tools/Import.  Add or remove any directories you want.  Edit each to set the files you want imported.
Pages: [1]   Go Up