INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How's about an Audio only Feature Request Thread?  (Read 5153 times)

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
How's about an Audio only Feature Request Thread?
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:53:01 pm »

Scrolling through pages of posts picking out Audio from Video is a drag.  (What's a convolution?)

Anyway, here are my thoughts:
1.  Improvement to Cover Art finding:  Quick Finder in File/Cover Art Directory never finds anything for me.  It should automatically find "Cover.jpg" "Front.jpg" "Front Cover.jpg" .  Or maybe a pop up selector box if multiple image files are found in the Album directory.

2.  Some way of attaching multiple files such as images, pdf's, MSWord files to an Artist or Album.  Say for example you like to keep lots of bits of info on The Beatles.  You should be able to click through to that stuff within MC.  Kind of like DIY liner notes while you're listening to the album.

3.  How about defining a framework to standardize Classical music tagging.  Try and get all of us on the same page.  Then provide a shared online database for us to submit our info to. 

4.  Bar code input from CD's for automated tagging & cover art.

5.  More intelligent tag & cover art look up.  Currently the Album Title "Who's Next (1972)"  totally flummoxes the program. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How's about an Audio only Feature Request Thread?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »

Perhaps I meant a thread of requests that I find interesting ;)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »

2.  Some way of attaching multiple files such as images, pdf's, MSWord files to an Artist or Album.  Say for example you like to keep lots of bits of info on The Beatles.  You should be able to click through to that stuff within MC.  Kind of like DIY liner notes while you're listening to the album.

I often wished I had all the info on my PC rather than having to chase links, especially when I have no access to internet.

And I see it as album-centric, unlike cover art which is in the tags of each and every track in the album. I'd like MC to offer  access to all the images and data in the albums folder so it would be like looking in the record jacket or pulling the booklet out of the digipak.

And while we are at it, I'd like to be able to handle my albums as one item, an album rather than a clump of individual songs. I want to send the album to Playing Now, I want to be able to shuffle Albums while their tracks remain in proper order within the album.

Perhaps part of this can be done by simply allowing Grouping by Album within Playing Now so the Groups can be shuffled?
. . . the game is rigged

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 02:36:00 pm »

And while we are at it, I'd like to be able to handle my albums as one item, an album rather than a clump of individual songs. I want to send the album to Playing Now, I want to be able to shuffle Albums while their tracks remain in proper order within the album.
While maybe not exactly what you are after, these are achievable via setting up appropriate views currently.

I'd like to be able to handle my albums as one item, an album rather than a clump of individual songs.
I use "Album Thumbnail" list style for any of my album-centric views. This allows to treat the album as one entity when sending to Playing Now.

I want to be able to shuffle Albums while their tracks remain in proper order within the album.
You can't do this on the fly, but you can set up a view that will shuffle the albums, then send that shuffle to Playing Now (using normal linear playback) to get the affect statically. (I don't remember how to set the view up off the top of my head, but I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

While maybe not exactly what you are after, these are achievable via setting up appropriate views currently.
I use "Album Thumbnail" list style for any of my album-centric views. This allows to treat the album as one entity when sending to Playing Now.

I do this too, but have had numerous occasions where MC sends the "Album" to PN but it is not in proper track number order when it gets there. Obviously with many albums this can totally destroy the presentation.

thanks for the assist, I will experiment with the playlist sorting idea as a workaround.
. . . the game is rigged

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »

I do this too, but have had numerous occasions where MC sends the "Album" to PN but it is not in proper track number order when it gets there.

I've seen that too, but not lately, so maybe it's something that's been fixed.

I will experiment with the playlist sorting idea as a workaround.

You can't shuffle by album in Playing Now, but you can create your own such playlist and send that to PN. For example, add one track from each album to be played to an 'Albums Selected' playlist. Create an 'Albums Playlist' smartlist:

Playlists is any Albums Selected
     Shuffle
     Expand to full albums

Make your selection, then play 'Albums Playlist'. Alternatively, remove the 'Shuffle' and do that to 'Albums Selected' directly—or put the selected tracks in any order you like before playing the smartlist.

However you do it, the order of the albums will have to be determined first. After the list is started, you will only be able to add albums at the current position or the end of PN. I suppose if you were to always use track #1 to select albums and displayed [Last Played] in the 'Albums Selected' list, that would give you a basis for adding more albums, removing those that had already played, and then recreating the list.

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »

I often wished I had all the info on my PC rather than having to chase links, especially when I have no access to internet.

And I see it as album-centric, unlike cover art which is in the tags of each and every track in the album. I'd like MC to offer  access to all the images and data in the albums folder so it would be like looking in the record jacket or pulling the booklet out of the digipak.

The program already allows custom fields that are relational for albums.  I've tried doing what I'd described, but putting links into custom fields wasn't cutting it.  Maybe someone more clever than me could figure it out.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:26:06 am »

I'd like to use panes style views on an Android tablet or an iPad.  Here is an example of a view I use now:

Some adjustments may be necessary when moving from a large PC screen to a smaller tablet screen.  For example, in the screenshot above,  The panes and file list take the entire width of the screen and the tree area and the action window are not displayed.

Bill

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »

I would also like an audio only version...

HiFiTubes

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:30:23 am »

1. Implement various upsampling filter types like Signalyst or XXXHighend.

Here are all the options from Signalyst:

Software upsamplig / downsampling with selectable algorithm up to 32-bit 1.536 MHz or down to 16-bit 44.1 kHz (13 options, most "apodizing")
Delta-Sigma modulator for upsampling PCM/DSD content up to 24.576 MHz 1-bit SDM (4 oversampling options)
Selectable dithering / noise shaping algorithm (7 options)
Selectable convolution algorithm (FIR) for equalization, such as digital room correction (2 options)
Software-based digital volume control for PCM and SDM
Playback of DSF/DSDIFF files through any supported audio interface (PCM conversion)
Selectable algoritm and noise filters for DSF/DSDIFF playback (7 / 6 options)

2. Dynamic Range | as part of MC native analyze tracks

3. Import Report upgrades | clickable filters so you can quickly review, print, or copy particular sections e.g. Determined to be bad vs. Filenames too long.

4. Memory Play | Ability to play a whole album or playlist from memory as this allows hard drives to spin down for an hour or more.

5. Zone Preset per File Type - useful for A/B DACs and also sending DSD to a DSD DAC vs. PCM.

jologskyblues

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:20:35 am »

Improved CUE handling in the playlist.
Better handling of album art.

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:19 am »

Improved CUE handling in the playlist.
Better handling of album art.

I'm curious, How can these thing be improved?

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

2. Dynamic Range | as part of MC native analyze tracks

+1

jologskyblues

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:55 am »

I'm curious, How can these thing be improved?

I've noticed that CUE sheets aren't loaded in the library/playlist as easily and reliably as in foobar. The split tracks don't usually appear in JRMC17 libraries unless I open the CUE sheet from within the program manually.

As for the covers, in foobar, just put image file in the same folder where the tracks for the album are and change the file name to either cover, folder or front and it automatically gets displayed on playback. With MC, I have to manually open the file again within the cover art context menu and the the image file has to only be named folder for it to work. I also find it annoying that the tags have to be updated even if I already disabled the save cover art to the file meta data. I would also like to see some integration with Album Art Downloader if possible.

I would also like an audio only version...

+1

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:05:09 pm »

Can a DTS music disc be converted to flac or wav in the new version?  Either way, I've upgraded to MC18.
Pages: [1]   Go Up