INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17.0.182 Hulu skips  (Read 2192 times)

scm

• World Citizen
17.0.182 Hulu skips
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:18:25 am »

Hulu skips on videos all the sudden in this latest version.  Anyone else having this problem?  Skips very badly for 5 seconds or so then  moves on and skips again.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: 17.0.182 Hulu skips
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:25 am »

I have not seen this. Have you tried multiple videos? The Daily Show with John Stewart from 8/1 worked fine this morning.

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

Yes.  When it's doing it, it's doing it on my queue and also on just the short "popular" clips like john stewart, etc.

However, after days and days of doing it, and me restarting my computer a few times to occasionally get it to work, I'm not sure what's triggering it.  As soon as I figure out any consistency, I'll post.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:03 am »

Does it work any better in your browser than within MC?

If not then perhaps it is not MC but either Hulu or your internet connection speed.
. . . the game is rigged

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:49 am »

Yes it works fine in the browser.  This skipping problem has magically gone away now that some new versions have come out.  I have no doubt it's a Hulu issue.  I'll let you know if it happens again.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

This skipping problem has magically gone away now that some new versions have come out. 
Amusingly (or completely not amusing if you are my wife), I seem to have STARTED seeing this problem since build 183 (well, in the past few days, so it might be unrelated to the build).

To be sure it's the same issue though... Are you seeing a freezing, then starting back up type of behavior as though the video is having trouble buffering or something different? I'm getting the buffering type issue.

Between all the Hulu and Netflix streaming issues I've had over the last couple months I'm really considering just getting one of those cheap dedicated streaming boxes. I'd really rather avoid that though...it just seams wrong to have to switch inputs from a HTPC to something else so that I can properly stream video... Anyway, that's just me rambling and being grumpy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »

Who is your ISP?

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:34 am »

Now the problem is even worse.  Yes it used to do what you said, where it freezes for a few seconds, then moves on a few seconds, then freezes again, but now it's freezing for long periods of time, while the audio skips, then moves a few frames, skips for 60 seconds or so, etc.

CenturyLink is my ISP.

I have no doubt the problem is related to Hulu or ISP and not Media Center, but the problem has really been around a while, for a few months, so someone should figure this out and fix it.  Never have problems watching the exact same video on the hulu website from my browser.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »

Some ISP's will reduce bandwidth after a while.

Someone other user may be consuming bandwidth.  You might try measuring your Internet speed when it happens.

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

I will try that jim, thanks.

Would it suggest that's not the cause if the skipping occurs immediately upon my first video, and not "after a while" of streaming?

In other words, I can come home at the end of a day when my internet has been unplugged, plug it in, turn my computer on, go to my favorite program Media Center (theater view) and begin a video and it will skip horribly after 2 or 3 seconds, and not stop skipping even if I let it proceed for 10 or 15 minutes.  In fact, now that I'm testing it a bit more, I'd say it's more likely to skip upon playing my first video.  Perhaps that's a good lead to follow, because I can switch around and play many videos until the skipping stops, then I can go back and play a video that originally skipped, and it won't skip anymore.  So it's not specific to the video.

Netflix doesn't have this problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »

I will try that jim, thanks.

Would it suggest that's not the cause if the skipping occurs immediately upon my first video, and not "after a while" of streaming?

In other words, I can come home at the end of a day when my internet has been unplugged, plug it in, turn my computer on, go to my favorite program Media Center (theater view) and begin a video and it will skip horribly after 2 or 3 seconds, and not stop skipping even if I let it proceed for 10 or 15 minutes.  In fact, now that I'm testing it a bit more, I'd say it's more likely to skip upon playing my first video.  Perhaps that's a good lead to follow, because I can switch around and play many videos until the skipping stops, then I can go back and play a video that originally skipped, and it won't skip anymore.  So it's not specific to the video.

Netflix doesn't have this problem.
Until you find the cause, it's hard to say.  Neighbors using the Internet might cause it.  Hulu itself could.  Something else on your machine could be competing for bandwidth.  Windows updates, for example.  Other downloads.  Use Task Manager to see if you can tell what's happening.

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:28:46 pm »

I appreciate the work you guys do and thanks.  I'm sure it's just hulu's fault and it will work itself out eventually, but I at least wanted to report it in case it was a problem others were having, which it seems to be.

Neighbors can't use my internet because I don't use wifi.  Windows updates are off and blocked.  Nothing else really is competing, I promise.  Anyway, let me know if you find anything more out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up