INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DCT Tuner Support  (Read 4682 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
DCT Tuner Support
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »

I have to say that this a pretty weak set of features to justify a new version release. I can understand the need to generate revenue but if DCT Tuner support in not in the plan why not just rule it out as not anytime in the forseeable future. To me this is a tweak for marketing purpose only releas and strictly intended to further moentize previous work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
DCT Tuner Support
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:23:01 pm »

I have to say that this a pretty weak set of features to justify a new version release. I can understand the need to generate revenue but if DCT Tuner support in not in the plan why not just rule it out as not anytime in the forseeable future. To me this is a tweak for marketing purpose only releas and strictly intended to further moentize previous work.
You may be confused.  We haven't released any MC18 version yet.  Early versions will be available in a few weeks, but the feature set won't be complete for perhaps six months.

The reason we do this is that we try to provide a transition window between versions.  Right now MC17 is mature.  If you buy it, you get a license that works with it and with MC18.  I think that's fair.  I'm sorry if you don't agree.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: DCT Tuner Support
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »

What is a DCT Tuner?

NickF

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:05:37 pm »

What is a DCT Tuner?
So, is this some form of personal contact transducer, like a direct contact sub-woofer?  Sounds interesting.  Could catch on!  :)

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

ckewinjones

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

What is a DCT Tuner?

DCT = Digital Cable Tuner, such as a Ceton InfiniTV4, SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime, etc.

DCT support is a must for me if I'm going to use MC for TV.  Right now I am using a Ceton InfiniTV4 with SageTV (using the SageDCT shim to bridge the two).  For now I'm happy with SageTV for video (and very happy with MC17 for audio), but if SageTV stops working I will be in the market for a new solution.

I'm a little more hopeful that SageTV will live on, now that its technology has resurfaced as part of Google Fiber.  But there is no doubt that one has to keep one's powder dry.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

What is a DCT Tuner?

Jim, Your unfamiliarity with the acronym speaks volumes.  DCT = Digital Cable Tuners. Support for same is what many here have been begging for a long time now. I thought 17 might have brought it to the party, clearly it is still has not significant priority to JR. MC 17 is a great product, its only glaring weakness is its lack of support for cable tuners (DCT).. It is patently obvious that if DCT support was going to part of MC 18 it would already be a major part of the planning.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »

I'm sorry you think I'm an idiot, but by Digital Cable Tuner, do you mean Cablecard devices like those from SiliconDust and Ceton?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »

Jim, Your unfamiliarity with the acronym speaks volumes.  DCT = Digital Cable Tuners. Support for same is what many here have been begging for a long time now. I thought 17 might have brought it to the party, clearly it is still has not significant priority to JR. MC 17 is a great product, its only glaring weakness is its lack of support for cable tuners (DCT).. It is patently obvious that if DCT support was going to part of MC 18 it would already be a major part of the planning.

I think maybe you misunderstand the term somewhat.  MC supports my Digital Cable Tuner (a Hauppauge HVR-2250).  It also supports digital cable tuners available throughout the world (DVB-C).

It does not currently support CableCard tuners (Ceton mainly), though JRiver has repeatedly said that this is something that they'd like to support, if it proves possible to do so.  Unfortunately, supporting CableCard is NOT a simple process, which is why SageTV and many other competing PC DVR applications never did and never will (directly).

Basically, you have to bow down and kiss the feet of CableLabs, who hates CableCard and wants to destroy it, and pay them a metric crap-ton of money.  Some of the original restrictions have been lightened somewhat over the past year or so, but we didn't see a flood of applications supporting the Ceton cards, so I suspect there is a lot more to it than just signing up for API access (and implementing some sort of draconian DRM scheme).

I wonder if CableCard isn't going to be eliminated altogether over the next few years in favor of integrated third-party systems (like what Apple is likely to do)...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:55:17 pm »

I should also note, that I would like to see this too (I will buy a Ceton card immediately if this is the case).  However, allowing it to work ONLY with Copy-Freely content (like the third-party SageDCT plugin and all the similar "hacky" ways to enable support in other applications) is a deal-breaker.

With my cable company, there is VERY little content that I care about that comes with the Copy Freely flag, and all of that would be easier to capture another way.

CableCard is crapped up with so many DRM restrictions that I'm very skeptical that this could ever meet my needs.  But, to even have a chance, it would have to be full-fledged first-party support similar to what they have in Windows Media Center.

I still think I'd be better served with another HD-PVR or two though...

ckewinjones

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »

Glynor is right:  the DCT category includes more than the CableCard-based devices like my Ceton InfiniTV4.  Nonetheless I suspect that the CableCard devices are what the original poster was referring to.

I have to say a word in defense of SageDCT.  It is unfortunate that a software shim like SageDCT is necessary (because Sage was unwilling or unable to play by CableLabs' rules), but given that it was needed, SageDCT is anything but "hacky."  It is a quality implementation of a public standard protocol for communicating with CableCard-based devices.  As long as that protocol doesn't change (and as a public standard, it shouldn't), SageDCT will continue to work reliably.

It is of course true that it works only for Copy Freely content (again, because Sage wasn't interested in providing DRM'ed content).  I'm very lucky because my provider (Verizon) marks content as protected only when the content owner absolutely insists on it.  If they ever turn copy protection on for New England Sports Network I will be in a world of hurt.

If JRiver were to sign up for the whole CableCard DRM program and provide full support for the Ceton card, that would be a powerful motivator for me to move from SageTV to MC for video.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »

It is of course true that it works only for Copy Freely content (again, because Sage wasn't interested in providing DRM'ed content).  I'm very lucky because my provider (Verizon) marks content as protected only when the content owner absolutely insists on it.

I have Time Warner.

They mark everything Copy Once except locals (which I already get in QAM with my 2250).

Pages: [1]   Go Up