INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about description display  (Read 2185 times)

spiritian

• Recent member
A question about description display
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »

How do you make the description display in a paragraph instead of a line?

To elaborate: when I am viewing my movies under the movies section of the "video" tab in the left hand panel it shows the description as a single line that trails off the side of the page. How do I make the video description read as a paragraph instead of trailing off the edge? If it matters, It might be a spacing issue because I use Japanese descriptions and video (Japanese language doesn't have spacing between the letters).

Also, when I am browsing in grid mode in theater view, how do I view the entire description of a movie? Clicking on the one line of text available doesn't make it expand into the full video.

Thank you for your help.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: A question about description display
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »

Any value not fully visible in the column will appear in a tooltip on hover (i.e., the mouse pointer is over the cell). Not to be confused with that is the 'track info tooltip' that will appear on hover of any file if the option at Options > Tree & View > List is set. For videos, that includes the poster, description and other details about the item.

Another way to display more detailed information is to open the tag window. It can be set to view the same fields as in the view, and expanded to the full height of the tree. It will show at least a few lines of list and memo fields, and will also show the whole field in a tooltip.

All of these are illustrated in the attached composite screenshot. Mouse hovers at...

• over [Description] in the tag window (or, not shown, in the list) shows the full description in a tooltip; and

• over [MPAA Rating] in the list shows the full value in a tooltip, and also causes the 'track info tooltip' for the movie to appear.

spiritian

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:02:46 pm »

I apologize. I should have been more specific.

When I use a mouse hover-over to see more about a video, the description does not form neat paragraphs like it does in your tooltip. Instead, it continues in one straight line and ends in ...

For example, if you had the text:
青空文庫の使い方と約束事を紹介しています。初めての方、ファイルやキャプチャーの取り扱いについて知りたい方も、こちらへどうぞ。作家名、作品名の50音別に、公開作品と入力・校正作業中の作品を一覧できるインデックスです。公開中の作品を探すときは、下の近道もご利用ください。

Instead of looking something like this:
青空文庫の使い方と約束事を紹介しています。初めての方、ファイル
やキャプチャーの取り扱いについて知りたい方も、こちらへどうぞ。
作家名、作品名の50音別に、公開作品と入力・校正作業中の作品を
一覧できるインデックスです。公開中の作品を探すときは、下の近道も
ご利用ください。

It instead does this:
青空文庫の使い方と約束事を紹介しています。初めての方、ファ...

And I can't read the rest of the description. It does this in theater mode too. A small snippet of text, and three dots. I can't access the full description with mouse-overs or read them in my movie library in theater mode. I can see the full description in the description tags window in the left-hand pane, but that's a bit inconvinient and not at all practical for theater mode (go into theater mode, see a movie, say "Ah, what was this about?" Highligh 青空文庫の使い方と約束事を紹介し... Text, it does not show full paragraph, go back to tag window outside theater mode.)

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

Hmm. Maybe Line breaking rules in East Asian languages is not being used. :-\

spiritian

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:03:01 pm »

Is there maybe somewhere I can submit this as a feature request? I fully intend to buy this program - I enjoy everything else about it and it's graphically impressive and functional. I just wish I could read the descriptions for all my Japanese movies and TV shows more conveniently

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »

Is there maybe somewhere I can submit this as a feature request? I fully intend to buy this program - I enjoy everything else about it and it's graphically impressive and functional. I just wish I could read the descriptions for all my Japanese movies and TV shows more conveniently

I think our text engine only breaks newlines on spaces, which obviously isn't correct in this case.

Rick's link has the full rules.  Breaking on any Asian character would be better than what we're doing now.

We'll try to get it fixed in a coming build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

spiritian

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »

I massively appreciate this. If you do get this into a coming build, where would I check to see that that has happened? Is there an update thread?

Again, I love the program. You guys did an amazing job; the competition doesn't even compare.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »

If you do get this into a coming build, where would I check to see that that has happened? Is there an update thread?

Release threads are at the top of the respective boards e.g., JRiver Media Center 17.0.182 -- Available Here. Version 18 hasn't been released yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up