INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How's about an Image only Feature Request Thread?  (Read 2945 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How's about an Image only Feature Request Thread?
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

It's been a long time since our image libraries received some love. For some years now it's been all about audiophile this and videophile that :)

Not so much on the audiophile front, but I have benefited greatly from the recent video development stuff, quite frankly, it's brilliant. Let's not forget that MC does pictures too though.

Things to start the ball rolling:

• An EXIF date / time shifter, do it in batch by a set number of minutes or hours back or forward, or set to specific date. "Date / Time Original" needs to be set so other programs read the tag correctly. Think things like scanned images with no EXIF data, or those times when the clocks shift, but it's always 4 months down the line before you remember to change the time on the camera! Currently, I need to keep other software installed for these tasks.
  • An automated desktop background switcher
  • How about Pix01 embedded in the program, showing a page in the main list area where we can create new albums and edit existing ones. How about a Pix01 landing page for each user where friends and family can go and see a selectable list of your albums?
  • How about an acquire from scanner tool that works as well as the get cover art from scanner tool? (cover art captures just the CD art, but try importing a scanned image, and no matter the size of the image, MC imports the entire A4 bed of the scanner)
  • Face tagging?
  • Gizmo has a few badly needed image handling tweaks that I've mentioned in a couple of places already

Anyone else?

raldo

Re: How's about an Image only Feature Request Thread?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

o I think it would be reasonable to request at least a way of displaying Facetags from Windows live Photogallery and Picasa. Both these applications now save the facetag rectangle in the image. Additionally, populating the People tag based on the facetags would be a nice feature.
o 1 to 1 mapping of city-state-country exif tags with MC tags, of course... In general, a Complete EXIF and IPTC one to one relationship with MC tags.
o Another feature which I'd think many users would like is simultaneous geo location (map) and image. Picasa does this. Picasa also geotags images but I don't think JRiver should implement functionality to geotag pictures.

I don't believe Face Detection and  Recognition should be a part of MC. Those are difficult and expensive techologies which require large development and support efforts.  So these functions are much better taken care of by other companies such as Microsoft (live photo gallery), Google (Picasa), etc. Thus I believe a "trade off" wrt. face tag data would be to  support displaying emerging standards such as Microsoft Photo 1.2 XMP and Picasa's new tagging format.

With regards to exif and IPTC: MC would benefit in wrt. user base if it supported various versions of IPTC with the same vigour as Audio IDvxyz is supported. And, why not expose all EXIF, IPTC, and XMP tags to the user as "raw data"? Then we could derive tags using the regex engine?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:48 am »

Couple of biggies for me:
* Mouseover description for images and audio (Not just video!). I've tagged huge amounts of stuff with descriptions, but these are sadly underused at the moment!
* Ratings stars when mousing over a detached display. One of the things I like to do is to keep an image slideshow running on my second monitor, which I do using a detached display. It'd be really useful to be able to just flip the mouse over this window and rate images as I go along. (I'm currently using the CAD plugin and a customised rainmeter skin to do this, so it's not totally urgent, but something that really would be nice to have integrated into MC itself :)

The background shifter is an idea I'd also make good use of, I'm using a custom handheld and the inbuilt Windows tools to do this at present, but again bringing everything inside MC would be really good.

-Leezer-

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »

EXIF date shifting and recognition of picasa's face tags would be wonderful for me.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:30 am »

How about Pix01 embedded in the program, showing a page in the main list area where we can create new albums and edit existing ones. How about a Pix01 landing page for each user where friends and family can go and see a selectable list of your albums?

+1

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:58 am »

What Marko sid... :)

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »

Here is a bug I reported way back in MC 14:

I found a bug when trying to edit pictures via the MC shell integration links in Windows.

Right click a photo in windows -> Media Center -> Edit

Media Center opens the photo through the audio editing tool that comes with MC, and naturally, an error pops up that you cannot edit the photo's audio properties. 

The shell integration 'edit' feature should be file type specific; the photo editing tool should open up when trying to edit a photo, the audio editor w/ music, and a message with videos saying "this will be supported in a future version" ;)

locust

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:43:29 am »

+1

Face Tagging one of my number ones.

Also I used to use Picasa for my images but found it terrible for organizing my photos. One thing it did excel was having easy access to options to change brightness, contrast etc, it also had the I'm feeling lucky button to optimize the pictures. This would be great on mc, as long as the changes were not directly applied to the file itself and contained in a sidecar file to preserve the original picture.

Daydream

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:02:18 pm »

I agree with Raldo above, especially this part

In general, a Complete EXIF and IPTC one to one relationship with MC tags.

If the IPTC and EXIF implementations don't get updated the rest is pie in the sky. Recently I spend a scary amount of time trying to apply some regex workarounds to [Caption] fields and like that, just to realize that MC doesn't read the 'Headline' tag and all the information I was trying to invent it was already there embedded in the files, just not read by MC. That was not cool. Can we have an update for IPTC and EXIF?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:20 am »

What would go a long way for me is simply being able to double-click a thumbnail to go into the "single photo" view (like right-clicking on the size slider) instead of "playing" the photo.  Then another double-click to return to the thumbnails.  This is a badly needed shortcut for me since right-clicking the slider is inconvenient and this view still allows tagging, etc.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:10:21 am »

While discussing playback of music and images together, Datdude said:

I really hope MC 18 can improve the visualizations in a number of areas particularly the image slideshow.

1) I wish the slideshow would play fullscreen.  I realize that you can play a set of images fullscreen after playing music, but then you can't control the music. Making more options here in terms of duration and type of transition would be awesome.

2) Select a specific image playlist from the visualization menu.  Seems like this would be pretty easy especially with the new OSD.

3) Select a visualization option to show artist photos from the Web like in Theater View library views. Is this not the case because JRiver doesn't want to make too many server calls to those services?

4) Add MCC commands to the visualizations that way I can switch between them with specific buttons rather than having to cycle through them all.

5) Give an option to disable user selected visualizations from showing up in the OSD, that way we don't have to cycle through some of the really 'old style' ones.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Picture wall screensaver
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

Windows Media Center has a "picture wall" screensaver that is really cool.  It shows your pictures in a black and white thumbnail grid with white frames around the thumbnails.  It pans around for a while and then zooms in on a random picture while "fading" to color and displaying the date in the white frame.  While zoomed in it flips to other pictures on that date and eventually zooms out again and repeats the process.  This is an excellent implementation of a screensaver and is a really fun way to see your pictures.  Something like this in MC would be great.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:18 am »

o Another feature which I'd think many users would like is simultaneous geo location (map) and image. Picasa does this. Picasa also geotags images but I don't think JRiver should implement functionality to geotag pictures.

Huge +1

This is a great feature of Picasa and the only reason I use it.

Ross

tonse

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:26 pm »

Again +1

I still use MC15 and stopped upgrading because there's very little support for image tag read/write.
IPTC is a must.

And.... there should be some kind of Information option. Press a button on a remote or Gizmo and the (configurable) information of an image will popup

raldo

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »

Being able to see image captions in theater view while browsing images would be nice.

raldo

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:39:57 pm »

I also miss a more "user friendly" tagging mode for images. For the wife, mostly.

The action/tag window is too small and (it seems to me) one cannot customize which tags to display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up