INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Gain tag not being written to file  (Read 1841 times)

pillshovel

• Junior Woodchuck
Album Gain tag not being written to file
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:34 pm »

I have it set to actually write this tag the file so I don't have to re-analyze all my music on each computer in the house.  I have noticed in the last few builds this isn't being written, but it is still checked in the settings.  If it helps, I am using FLAC files and 17.0.182 and files have already been analyzed.  The information shows up in the tags within MC17 but it isn't actually written to the file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Album Gain tag not being written to file
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

Album Gain is a calculated field in Media Center and as such, not written to tags.

There have been some requests to allow writing the value to tags in spite of this, which might be a nice feature to support in the future.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pillshovel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »

I appreciate the response.  I have checked the box to store it in the file and up until a couple of builds ago it was actually storing them in the file.  I can check extended tags with mp3tag and they are there, but in the files created in the last month it is no longer working.  I don't mean to argue, but I promise it is there in the file on the older ones.  Am I missing something maybe?

Here is a screenshot of a file that has the tag and of a newer file that does not.

pillshovel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »

Does anybody know how to fix this?  I really don't want to be analyzing audio on all the atom based nettops in the house.

Mbare

• Recent member
  • One (proud) audiophile checking in.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 04:39:26 am »

If possible at your home, you could use one instance of MC as the library for all the other instances. For my part, I have a server that I use to do all analyze audio and stuff and I just point the other computers to that server and use the library on that server (i.e. a "proper" Library Server). That works when it comes to Album Gain. Another option (that I haven't tried) would be to clone the library where you have analyzed your audio and then import it into the other computers. I think that will preserve Album Gain? Clone Library is an option under the "Library"-fane.

Aside from that, I'd also like MC to write Album Gain-tags.  :)
Room-correction saved my hi-fi. HTPC, Audiolense and JRiver Media Center, RAKK-DAC, Heretical buffer, Hegel poweramp and Magnepan loudspeakers.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:56:39 am »

MC has never actually read its Album Gain tag from the files (regardless if the Album Gain library field is set to write the tag value to the file).

If the audio files contain the Replay Gain tags, MC's album analyzer calculates the Album Gain values dynamically and populates the Album Gain library field.

If you play the analyzed files on another MC instance without actually importing the files to the library, the album analyzer does not act and the album gain field stays empty.

If you usually simply drag and drop new files to the Playing Now list, you can import the files by doing: select > right-click > Import.

The "Image (small icon)" column can show the import status:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg402349#msg402349
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg427787#msg427787
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pillshovel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:16 am »

I never realized that it wasn't reading those tags.  I need to change the way I do things anyway then.  The 2 kid's rooms are running XBMCUbuntu and I had it set to read Album levels based on MC17's tags so I'm assuming now that probably isn't working either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up