INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get Movie Info  (Read 3151 times)

zendoo

• Recent member
Get Movie Info
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »

Could PLEASE change what Get TV and Movie Info downloads as description from Wikipedia - download the plot, not the description (usually merely stating the director and awards and such...)

And could there be an entry in the options as to which I prefer - I would like to use Wikipedia first and if there is no Wikipedia article TMDB and if theres nothing there rotten tomatoes...?!

And could you PLEASE also make it download the Country and Language from TMDB?

(And the new feature: search and download subtitles from the [name] tag and name them [filename].language code.[extension]!!!)

requests... requests... requests...! :)

THANKS - this would make it worth it for me to buy an upgrade...

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Get Movie Info
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:09:30 pm »

I agree that there are things missing here. A combination of multiple sources would be great. Especially if you could pick the sources your self, or choose their priority.
When it comes to missing tags, I find some things missing as well. Especially movie ratings and language. I think that this is partially corrected in version 18.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:24 pm »

A combination of multiple sources would be great. Especially if you could pick the sources your self, or choose their priority.

I think the ship has sailed on that idea. Personal Video Database/PVD Import still works. ;)

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:41:03 am »

Right. And with the new enhancements on the sidecar support in PVD, I guess it's pretty automatic now. I'll definitely give that a try when I have the time.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:27:34 am »

Right. And with the new enhancements on the sidecar support in PVD, I guess it's pretty automatic now.

PVD Import is an MC plugin that gets the data directly from the PVD database. It has always been fully automatic.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 09:43:04 am »

I think the ship has sailed on that idea. Personal Video Database/PVD Import still works. ;)

I don't know... I think that now that we have a good understanding of how the current, simple-but-consistent system works, MC18 would be a good time for some additional refinement of the feature, to allow greater flexibility and control.

Rick, you and I may have differed on the mechanism for how to enable flexibility in the system, but I don't think we differed on what the system should be able to accomplish in the end.  I think an incremental approach is best.  Focus first on solving the biggest problem for the most people (the 80% first rule), then grow it to be more powerful.  They've done the first part.  We have a good, refined system in MC17, which does what it sets out to do, and does it with very little "pain" for most users who want it to "Just Work".

Now, for MC18, some additional flexibility would be nice.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

Rick, you and I may have differed on the mechanism for how to enable flexibility in the system, but I don't think we differed on what the system should be able to accomplish in the end.

I don't think so. What I argued for in the past had more to do with the fundamental structure of a system that would be simple and effective, and provide a solid base for building on. Instead, a much more complicated and painful approach was taken—one that seems to based on the premise most users don't want any involvement whatsoever in the process. A Red October for video meta data perhaps. Unfortunately, the developers are not experts in matters of movie and TV meta data or the lessons learned by others in it's collection. They haven't much interest in such things, and apparently assume most users don't either. They may be right.

In any case, I'm sure incremental improvements will be made. But the groundwork has not been laid for a number of fundamental requirements. So things like a means for combining multiple sources in any manner and the expression-based mapping of the results to user-designated fields would likely involve scrapping or largely redoing what has already been done. I don't think that's going to happen.

Insomuch as it probably requires much of the same groundwork, it also seems less likely we'll ever see premium/paid data services like Rovi and Gracenote. That would be the ultimate for users who are serious in their desire for something that 'Just Works'. I know it might be the case, but it's difficult to understand those who value on their time and sanity so as to choose fussing around with second-rate data and baffling 'automatic' retrieval routines—just to avoid paying another $20 per year. (I don't know what the cost would be, but surely it would be reasonable.)

I wish I was wrong. The PVD/PVD Import solution isn't going to last forever. I haven't even held my breath long enough to see whether PVD Import still works in MC 18...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:40:20 am »

I haven't even held my breath long enough to see whether PVD Import still works in MC 18...
You have to do the usual registry hack, and then, yes, it still works :)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:07 am »

Would be great if part of the improvements to Get TV/Movie info included pulling subtitles from somewhere.  I have recently being playing with SubDownloader 2.0.13 and it has been really helpful in get srt files from opensubtitles.org and rename them to the same as the video file (seems to have some code for developers).  This would be another good addition to MC.

I would however rate this as less important than giving us the ability to map various sources to our choice of fields.  This really is a basic need for those where movies are more important than music.

thanks
Craig

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:21:21 am »

I think that plug-ins should be used for more of these things. That way we could create our own rules, and change what's needed. The only problems I see is that it's probably not that well documented, and the SDK might not be that user friendly. I tried to use it my self a long time ago, but it was not easy (but hey, I'm a programmer newbie). The plug-ins have, as far as I know, no way of interacting with Theater View. So, it makes it less ideal for certain tasks in a Home Theater point of view.

I hope this get some more attention in version 18. MC users are certainly increasing in numbers. There's bound to be plenty of people how would like to make some great plug-ins if it was just a tad easier and/or could do more things in MC.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

I agree with getting the language right.  I can't believe how many movie covers come back in a foriegn language while the description is in english.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up