INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Search for images that contain both person "A" & person "B"  (Read 1777 times)

apturbo

• Junior Woodchuck

I have all my images tagged with people.  The people field is shown in my pane.  If i hold down the ctrl key and select person A and person B then it filters photos containing person A "OR" person B.  What i want to be able to do is filter by person A "AND" person B.  Isn't there a setting somewhere that allows me to change the behavior of the pane list allowing me to select a check box or something thus allowing me to show only photos containing BOTH people?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Search for images that contain both person "A" & person "B"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

Change the pane's 'Matching' setting. You may want one pane for 'Any'/OR and another for 'All'/AND.

apturbo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:04:43 pm »

Thanks, powerful software but can be a bit overwhelming navigating the settings at times.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:21:41 am »

Don't let it overwhelm you, embrace it :)

Glad to see another using MC for their images. MC is so good with them.

The attached is my "People" view...

apturbo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:35:41 am »

thanks for posting, just out of curiousity, how did you create "head count" as a field?

also, it appears you are using "keyword" to tag all of your fields, is that for universal program purposes?  I've done a lot of testing on the matter and found keyword is the only field that appears to be unviersal amongst all software when it comes to images.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:50 am »

thanks for posting, just out of curiousity, how did you create "head count" as a field?
"Head Count" is an expression column that uses the ListCount() function to count the instances of "!People" in the keyword tag and output the headcount depending on the result. It works by counting the items in a given list, using a specified delimiter. In my case, any people in my keywords field are preceded by "!People" so I can use that as a delimiter. If one exists, then listcount function returns 2 items, and so on, allowing me to interpret the results as seen in the screenshot above.
Code: [Select]
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),2),1 person,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),3),2 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),4),3 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),5),4 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),6),5 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),7),6 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),8),7 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),9),8 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),10),9 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),11),10 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),12),11 people,
if(isequal(listcount([keywords],!People),13),12 people,No People))))))))))))

If you use the default [People] field, you can get the same result in a much more efficient manner using the following expression in an expression pane:
Code: [Select]
ifelse(isempty([people]),No People,isequal(listcount([people]),1),1 Person,isequal(listcount([people]),1,5),listcount([people]) People)
You will notice that in the view I've posted above, there is no "No People" entry in my pane. This is because I have set up a dedicated view for "People" and set it to only include image files with "People" in their keywords tag. In this post, there are two links to "customise view" tutorials some might find useful. The older one still contains a lot of information relevant today.

also, it appears you are using "keyword" to tag all of your fields, is that for universal program purposes?  I've done a lot of testing on the matter and found keyword is the only field that appears to be unviersal amongst all software when it comes to images.
Exactly. I also find that it's so much easier to do my image tagging using a single pane up the left side of the view, rather than scrolling around in several different panes trying to tag different fields. In fairness, 'universal' appeal doesn't always work as planned. For example, all those exclamation marks and forward slashes are a mess when photos arrive on Flickr, but for me, the convenience and ease of a single nested keywords field in MC far outweighs the need to periodically clean up the tags on Flickr.

The middle "People" pane you see in my screenshot, is actually a custom field that MrC helped me with (thanks again) that uses Regex to pull the bare "People" data out of the keywords field and present it in a clean list as shown. This pane is set to "Match All", while the keyword pane beneath it is set to "Match Any". The view works exceptionally well.

All of these things can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but really, they are "set it and forget it" kind of things. Invest a little time getting things set the way you want, then sit back and enjoy for years to come. I actually had to spend some time reminding myself how the view was set up and why it works before writing this reply. Any questions, just ask. Help is never far away.

-marko.

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »

Would not this be even more simple?
FormatNumber(ListCount([People]),0,No Person,People,Person)

The relatively new FormatNumber() function is rather clever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up