INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC controlling Squeezebox for local playback  (Read 2123 times)

Comsat

• Recent member
MC controlling Squeezebox for local playback
« on: August 13, 2012, 02:16:51 am »

According to this topic http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67044.0 it is possible to use MC to control the playback of local files by a DLNA device, such as a Squeezebox.

I am very interested in this construct, since my expectation is that this may give a smoother 'feel' than playing files from the PC to the Squeezebox 'zone' using Whitebear.

However, I don't understand how I would set up MC to be able to control my Squeezebox. Will the files on the usb-drive attached to the Squeezebox show up in my MC library?

I must be missing some point here...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC controlling Squeezebox for local playback
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:21:33 am »

The hardware and memory in Squeezebox Touch is considered insufficient to handle the demands of the built-in Squeezebox Server.  It is likely to work fine for a small library, but be forewarned.

Running SBS/LMS and Whitebear on the same box will provide superior results, as Whitebear can operate in a mode that instructs SB to handle the file.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Comsat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:46:18 am »

I have now set up as follows:

Server in the attic (regular Windows XP PC) with my flac files on it, running Logitech Media Server and Whitebear
Laptop in the living room running MC17, with library as served by Whitebear from the server
Browsing, playlisting and playback all done in MC 17 from library served by Whitebear
Playback through wired network to Squeezebox attached to DAC in audio system

First tests are encouraging. No playback issues. Still got the feeling that a lot of tweaking needs to be done to LMS, MC17.

Can't tell yet if it beats my laptop, Mtech Hiface out to DAC by longish coax lead, soundwise. Being able to control Squeezebox with remote as an alternative (no need to start up laptop to listen to some music) may win me over.

Comsat

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:08:06 am »

JRiver -> Hiface -> DAC sounds better to my ears than Squeezebox Classic -> S/DIF -> DAC and better than Squeezebox Classic -> analogue -> DAC, so out goes the Squeezebox!
Pages: [1]   Go Up