INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off Topics Opera browser  (Read 1521 times)

zevele1

Off Topics Opera browser
« on: April 26, 2002, 06:15:31 am »

Sorry to be that lazy and post here.But the Opera's help was always a little bit esoteric to me[=i do not understand all]
Do any of you use Opera's e-mail client as default for his pop-up email-The one from your Internet Provider?
If yes how do you set Internet Explorer to see it and use it?
I do not see any big issues in the couple Opera\MediaJukebox.To be able to use Download Manager will be great
Maybe JRiver can contact them ,not for a real pluging,but to know how to enter command line in Opera to run DM
By the way i am on ME and IE6
CompuServe v.7.0 is shipping with Grego/Netscape based browser by the way.But i am feed-up with Netscape.If i can set the e-mail client,will send money to Opera

Jazzwolf

RE:Off Topics Opera browser
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 06:46:00 am »

Zevele,

I used Opera for about a week last year and I never could get the internal email client to work correctly. It also didn't handle attachments correctly, I wound up dropping it like a hot potato, too much trouble for something you had to pay for. I also hated the fact that Opera kept opening up multiple windows, not very user friendly ESPECIALLY when you have a dialup connection.

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 10:18:13 am »

funny,cause when i used Opera the first time with a phone/56kps connection,IT WAS VERY FAST.I mean much much more fast than IE and Netscape.To the point that many friends around me started to use it.It was Opera 4
You can set not to have many windows open
But to have up to 3 is very helpfull with dialup.Much better than "back"
Email client works,just IE do not see it.
I have to find out,cause i do not want Netscape anymore.I am feed up with all the problems.And i will stay without pop-up email,but never use outlook express

Jazzwolf

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 10:24:33 am »

What version of Netscape are you using? I still have 4.76 on my computer and I've never had a problem with it. Netscape 6.2 was a different story. What a piece of junk, always freezing my computer especially when I used the email client.

zevele 1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 10:39:50 am »

Navigator 4|PLS| his ok.But from the stone age.
No password manager,settings not that much sofisticated,sssslow to open.And-in my opinion-not that great with fast connection.And not of great stability.You get more crash with Navigator than with IE
Netscape 6 and |PLS| is BIG S..T
I had great hopes about Mozilla,but the last built makes any beta of MJ8 a bug free software,and Netscape 6 a good product.....
So i have a crisis,i do not want Netscape on my computer.It may change one day
You can have a look at<www.sillydog.org>.There is a nice Netscape forum.And "slim" version of browsers,means without the aol S..T.But not anymore any 4
Opera is like Mj:you have to read before you use it.And you do not allways understand all they say

Jazzwolf

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 05:00:39 am »

Zevele,

I figured I would give Opera another try last night, I downloaded the full version with Java. While it is fast I uninstalled it again. Some of the pages that I regularly visit (i.e. Marvel Comics) wouldn't play correctly even though Opera has the shockwave plugin. The Marvel site for example has online comic books that you can read but Opera would not show any of them. It was worth a try but I'll stay with IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.76 as I haven't had any problems with them yet.

Now Playing: "Cast your fate to the wind - Vince Guaraldi Trio"

Birdie

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 06:10:11 am »

I use Opera 6.01(free version) as well as IE6. Especially when I'm looking for new radiostations I prefer to use Opera, because in IE, the station is opened with Windows Mediaplayer and not with MJ. In Opera I can get the connection with MJ and subsequently add the station to "My Stations".Further Opera is faster.
For me Opera works well also with email.Here is what I did.(Maybe I am not using the right words in english, but I hope that you understand what I mean):
I left the settings in Outlook Express as they are. Then in Opera, under Email, I made a new account.Under Account>Name Account I filled in a self chosen name. Complete Name and Emailadress are selfexplanatory of course.
Under Server, Incoming and Outgoing the servernames I got from my ISP and under Username and Password of course the data I got from my ISP. The rest is also selfexplanatory.
Then I went to File > Preferences > Email. There I checked Use Standard Emailprogram. Outlook Express should be mentioned in the box there.
In the box under Use Opera Account there should be the self chosen name for the account I made under Email.However I leave Use Opera Account unchecked.
Everything works well for me. I can manage email within Opera. As soon as there is new mail I get a message in Opera.I can collect new mail,send mail etc.Besides, whatever I do in Opera, the incoming mail is left in Outlook Express.
Hope this will help.

Dag|PLS|Olav|PLS|Norem

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 06:41:19 am »

I would love to help you out, but unfortunately I do not fully understand your question. I would recommend you try the forums at http://my.opera.com/forums/ or Opera Support at http://www.opera.com/support/.

Regards,

Dag Olav
Opera Software

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2002, 07:01:13 am »

Thanks, Dag.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 10:41:48 am »

Dag
Thank you very much to take care to post an answer here
I will have a look at both forums.But many time they levels is to hight for me.I am not that good at computer
I put again my problem here,telling it another way
Having only Internet Explorer, NOT Outlook express on my computer:
If i want to use the Opera mail client,it is working fine INSIDE Opera.Means if i use Opera
If i use Internet Explorer and want to send an email,IE just tell me that i do not have an internet client installed on my computer
If you use Netscape mail,IE opens Netscape mail.And ,if you have a look at Tools=internet options=programs ,you see Netscape in the email case.
With Opera mail,the case is empty

If i found how to solve this problem,i will use Opera as my default browser,and IE when really needed.And,as you may understand,will not have the need to have Netscape only for the mail client on my computer
I just cannot stand anymore all the Netscape issues

Do not know if you are in Oslo,but i have been many times there,and i liked the town,the way of life of the norvegians people

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2002, 10:54:27 am »

Birdie
Thank you for your help
But i do not want to use Outlook express,i want to use only Opera mail
glad to see there is people loving Opera.It is like MJ.There is a lot of options,but you have to try,to read.And,as i said,sometimes it is not easy to get what they say in the help/forum section
Since one week i have a 19" screen,so the annoucement on the top is really not a problem.But if i find a way to set the email client,i will send them money.Kind of to militate
Pages: [1]   Go Up