INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Problem- Why must I reimport my albums every time I open the program  (Read 1600 times)

noahwwinter

• Recent member

I have MC 17 loaded on two PCs.  It works fine on my work PC.  On my htpc, most of the time when I open MC 17 all my albums have disappeared and must be reimported.  I have reviewed the options repeatedly and read the beginers threads, but I do not see anything on this.  I also notice the one album that MC 17 could not identify, the Rubber Soul album by the Beatles, when I correct the tag on this album the tag is not saved and this must be redone almost everytime I open the program.

I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling the software incase the install was not correct, but now that it has been a few weeks I am concerned that I will need to repurchase the software which I would like to avoid.

Any suggestions anyone?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Is it possible the program is in 'Party Mode'? (the View menu)

Otherwise, where are your library files?  In the tree, check Playing Now > Playing from [Library Name] > [Library Name].  The view header will say something like:
'Main Library' is a local library located at C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Library\

Is it possible something is preventing write access to that folder?

You could create a new library at a different location and see if that works any better.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vincent Kars

Check Edit in the menu bar
Is "Update tags when file info changes" checked?

noahwwinter

• Recent member

Vincent,

I verified the "Update tags when file info changes" was checked, I was hoping this would be the easy solution.

Matt, The program was not in "party mode" but the location gave me an idea.  I appear to have resolved these issues with the following steps.
1.  I copied my album files from my server hard drives to my htpc player C drive where the J River program is located.
2.  I created a new library and created a new file on my C drive.
3.  I set the import to import files from the new music file folder on the C drive to the new library folder I created.
4.  I re tagged Rubber Soul.
5.  I then exited several times, the albums remain as do the tags.

The problem must have been the software's inability to access the music files on the server (Z drive).  It would manually import these files fine, but auto import never worked as it would always default to wanting to scan the entire htpc C drive even after numerous changes to these import options.  The Z drive was always showing in the import commands, but it would not auto import, although it would import manually.  More importantly was that all albums and tags would disappear from the software everytime it was reopened regardless of every option being reviewed to prevent this behavior.

So in short, problem solved by using the C drive and creating a new library from scratch.  I did not attempt to clone or sync the library as I did not want to carry over whatever the problem is.  The bad news is the limited space on the C drive, but it should still be plenty for the music files and I do not use the software for video files so all is good now in my world.

Hopefully some other newbie will stumble upon this thread when they encounter the same.

Thanks to Vincent and Matt for your assistance.

--Noah

Vincent Kars

Looks like the Z drive is on a NAS.
Might it be you don’t have the permission to write to these files?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen

Glad you solved the issue. Another solution might have been to set a relative path to you server folder (\\servername\share) as auto-import target. As vincent stated make sure you got user access rights set correctly for the share on you server. This should work and keep you from filling up your c drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up