INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: add or append a unique qualifier to album title?  (Read 2946 times)

ted_b

• World Citizen
add or append a unique qualifier to album title?
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »

So I broke down and bought jremote. It is very nice! It takes a little getting used to, but so what.

I am finding, though, that I need to be much more specific in my album name tagging since JRemote (nor J River, but its not as much an issue on the desktop) does not show multiple albums and album covers of the same name. It combines them (i.e I pick Cosmos Factory and 22 songs show up, numbered 1,1,2,2,3,3 and so on). I have many DSD and PCM albums that have the same name, and in my other music server environments, i.e. either Apple Remote App or mPad (for Linux MPD) they show up at least as separate album covers.

I have had decent luck with some simple expression language command strings to do (DSF especially) tag cleaning up...removing n number of characters from track names, fixing capitalization (DSD extraction from ISOs often brings over lots of capitalized titles..argh).  So...I thought...I guess I can make a simple J River command to append "(DSD)" to the end of all my DSF album names, thereby easily distinguishing them from their redbook counterparts (and I'd do the same for their 24 bit counterparts).  I can easily first filter them by format or sample rate, so how hard can this be.  Wrong!  I can not find an expression that will help.  Any ideas out there, short of re-tagging each and every DSF album (about 600 of them)?  Thanks, Ted

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: add or append a unique qualifier to album title?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:11 pm »

The easiest way might be to use Search in Wizard mode to select tracks of a certain bit depth, bit rate, or sample rate.  Once the results are returned, you can select all the tracks and modify the fields using in-place or tag action window editing/assignment (with expressions if necessary).

Some folks will append designators to their album title tags, as you're suggesting, others use views to separate the different formats.  Use which ever methods work best for you.

For more details, please ask for specifics...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

Sorry I wasn't specific.  I know how to filter my list to DSF only, as stated above.  That's the easy part..  I could then highlight all 4800 tracks and my tagging shows album name as "{varies}" of course, cuz the highlight represents 600 albums.  How do I add the text "(DSD)" to the end of each album title (i.e Cosmos Factory becomes Cosmos Factory (DSD)).  I don't want to have to do this 600 times.  I assumed there might be an expression like =righttext[(album),(DSD)] but I don't find one.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:28:22 pm »

Use something like:

=[Album] /(DSD/)

Just referencing the field itself will populate its value.  Think of the tag setting/expressions as being performed one track at a time.  Although the interface can't show all tracks in a single field cell, the expression language knows to use the correct values / track.

(the forward slashes escape the parens, which are metacharacters).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »

You are da man!!  Thanks.  Works great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up