INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying Artists/Bands Whose Name Starts With "The"?  (Read 3728 times)

BGACali88

• Recent member
Displaying Artists/Bands Whose Name Starts With "The"?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »

MC 17 displays artists/bands whose name starts with "The" (e.g. "The Beatles") with all other artists/bands whose name starts with T but not "The" (e.g. "Tom Petty"). I know that I could edit all the metadata tags for the artists in my library whose name starts with "The" to put the "The" at the end (e.g. edit "The Beatles" to "Beatles, The").  I don't want to do that because the ", The" version is not the artists real name, and, more importantly, because when edited that way, anywhere the artist name shows up, it shows up in the ", The" format, which is annoying (e.g. when sorting Album by Artist, MC 17 displays "Abbey Road by Beatles, The".) 

While I don't like iTunes, it displays artists/bands whose name starts with "The" based upon the second word of the artist/band name, but, yet, maintains the artist/band name in its proper form (without requiring the metadata tag to be changed to the ", The" format).  For example, when sorted Album by Artist in iTunes, "The Beatles" are displayed with other artists whose name start with "B", not "T", yet the name of the actual band is properly displayed with the starting "The".  Continuing with the Abbey Road example (when sorted Album by Artist), iTunes displays it in the B's as "Abbey Road [by] The Beatles".  Is there a way to get MC 17 to do the same for all artists/bands whose name starts with "The" without having to change the metadata tags of all such artists to the ", The" format?  I'm sure there is some setting I am missing, but I have tried and tried and have not been able to figure it out.  I LOVE JRiver Media Center and this is the only issue I am having, so MANY THANKS for any assistance you can provide.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Displaying Artists/Bands Whose Name Starts With "The"?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:51 pm »

Go to Options-Tree & View- Sorting , and check "Ignore Articles(a, an, the)"

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

BGACali88

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

THANKS, Ken!!!!!!!  I really appreciate your help.  Worked like a charm.  :)

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:52:14 pm »

There are a lot of options. When looking for something like this, try typing 'Ctrl-O the' (or whatever term might exist in the option description—sort, ignore, articles). Even if you have to guess a few times, it's very fast and better than browsing through all the Options—especially when what you're looking for isn't where you expect it to be.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Glad to help.... I found it useful to explore all the menu trees just to find things I didn't knew existed...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

BGACali88

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:08 am »

Rick:  Thanks for that tip, as well.  Will give it a shot in the future to try to short circuit answers to questions.

Ken:  Thanks, again.  I think I'll do a lot more exploring, cause the options in MC never cease to amaze me.  I'm sure I'm not aware of even half the cool things that MC can do.  Excited to discover more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up