INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .rec playback  (Read 2484 times)

Fangio

• World Citizen
.rec playback
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:37:44 am »

I have a large quantity of .rec files created by my pvr. Can I use MC to play them?

Thanks

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: .rec playback
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »

Don't have any files to test native support right now but if rec-files are created by Topfield pvr you can rename them .ts and they should work (not sure if subtitles work this way).

You can also use ProjectX to demux/remux files to standard .ts. However after that files probably aren't watchable through your pvr without muxing them again with Topfield header (If recorded with topfield in the first place of course).

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:42 am »

Thanks lepa. Yes, they are being created by a Topfield, and many of them are still resident on it. I am aware that renaming to .ts or .mpg will work for playback in MC, but if I do that then they won't play on the Topfield. What I need is MC to play them as .rec files, but it doesn't seem able to do that.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:12 am »

Topfield pvr recordings are just .ts with topfield set header so there might be way to make 'em play... So of course I went to folder with WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE OR MODIFY FILES IN THIS DIRECTORY!!! (Data folder under MC install folder)

From there I went to Default Resources folder and opened FileAssociations.xml.
I Then edited MPEG Transport Video to include rec-files and there you go support for .rec files...

Code: [Select]
MPEG Transport Video (m2t,tp,ts,trp,rec)

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »

lepa, did you get MC to sucessfully play a .rec file after doing this?

I edited my FileAssociations.xml file as you suggested, and MC is now associated with .rec files, but will not play them.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:33 pm »

Yes, it is working (subtitles also). Did you restart MC after editing the file? Are you using RO (Red October)?

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:43 am »

Yes, I restarted MC and tried RO and ROHQ without success. I then tried changing the Playback Method for the filetypes in question from 'Automatic' to 'JRiver video engine' and the files played successfully! Thanks for your help with this, lepa.

More questions:

Will I have to make these alterations every time there is an MC update?

Am I likely to encounter any issues having switched the Playback Method away from Automatic?

I will also take this opportunity to say how impressed I am with MC17. It's head and shoulders above anything else I have used, and I am looking forward to MC18.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:03 am »

I do not speak on behalf of JRiver but...
Will I have to make these alterations every time there is an MC update?
I assume so unless JRiver staff adds .rec to the list

Am I likely to encounter any issues having switched the Playback Method away from Automatic?
I don't think so as you're using JRiver own native playback mode
Pages: [1]   Go Up