INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing channels with USBUIRT?  (Read 2604 times)

sdumas

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Changing channels with USBUIRT?
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »

Ok total newbie here...

I have installed MC 17 and it works - I got the EPG to work - I got all my media in (sucks that I can't differentiate between a movie and a tv show though) - but I haven't found where to go so that MC sends an IR signal to my STB (in this case Bell ExpressVU receiver) to change channels.

I am using Hauppauge HDPVR. I get a TV signal from the STB - good image - but if I change the channel from MC - nothing happens on the STB - no changes in channels (it works obisously if I change the channel manually or with the Bell remote directly on the STB)

I have a USBUIRT which I defined under Remote (along with Keyboard...). I tried to "learn" the command from my Bell remote through my USBUIRT and that seemed to work, but it looks to be one way only - from the remote to MC. I want MC to STB...

I looked through the forum and found confusing info - USBUIRT works / doesn't work - receives only - no, transmit and receives - use the HDPVR blaster - don't use the HDPVR blaster... I did not find a place that tells me how to use my USBUIRT to send IR to my STB from MC.

Any help?

Thanks!

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Changing channels with USBUIRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:53:44 pm »

Ok, I cannot really say if the USBUIRT will work for you.  I think that is what I am using, however, I am not bring it directly into MC.  Here is how you set it up:

Tools|Options

Select Remote and click Next.

Follow the prompts. 

It prompt you to teach each of the signals for the STB numbers (0-9).  You can also configure volume and power signals for your other equipment.  You will need a blaster from the USBUIRT to the STB or other equipment.

Now - I use eventghost to process my IR signals.  Mainly because I found it easier to troubleshoot when I was having problems and I haven't gotten back to it.

Hope this helps,

Alex

sdumas

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:53 pm »

On Tools - Remote - When I click on Next - it wants to see Media Center receiver on the system... I don't have that - just a USBUIRT.
I did select the USBUIRT in the list of remote

How do you match a MC command to an IR command

When I select channel 123 - how does it send IR 1 2 3 to an external device? How can it be done with the USBUIRT or even a iTachIR?

I don't see anywhere how I can match MC commands to IR commands

Another question - can you get the Theater View from an iPad and use the EPG to setup recording of a show on a server? I tried JRemote and I get "Theater view" but nowhere can I see the EPG...

What am I missing?

Is this something even feasible?

Thanks!

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:22:44 am »

I tried to use USBUIRT but found support in MC... well... less than perfect.

I ended up buying an MS IR receiver (which also has blasters) which MC supports out of the box.

Then you can program the commands for MC to blast to the STB. 

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »

How do you match a MC command to an IR command

From the remote screen in MC, you can setup commands, but if MC doesn't recognize your USBUIRT nothing is going to work. 

When I select channel 123 - how does it send IR 1 2 3 to an external device? How can it be done with the USBUIRT or even a iTachIR?
I don't see anywhere how I can match MC commands to IR commands

If MC recognized your USBUIRT, then when you hit next, you would be able to program the commands to send to the blaster, including the commands sent for changing channels.

As I mentioned I use eventghost to pass the commands to MC, but I did get MC to recognize my IR receiver/blaster and was able to program the blaster.  If MC doesn't see that you have a compatible IR receiver/ blaster, you really can't do much until that is resolved.

Alex

sdumas

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:17 am »

You used eventghost to send commands to MC - that's fine I can do that too with the USBUIRT.

Have you been able to have MC using eventghost to trigger something?

I have attached a screenshot of MC seeing USBUIRT as active

Then the second screenshot shows that it does not recognize for configuration

Any ideas anyone?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:14 am »

Media Center used to support the USB-UIRT unit.  Unfortunately, we no longer seem to have one of these around for testing.  Are these still available?  The web site looks a little old and stale.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

sdumas

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:01 am »

I am pretty sure they do - they even have a driver for Windows 8 now.

The box has been very stable for many years and does not require changes really. I personnally own 4 of them. I used them with Girder, SageTV, EventGhost, i-Rule, BeyondTV (when they were alive...), XBMC, Xlobby and a few others.

As an alternative, what about GlobalCaché the I-Tach series?

http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/models2/

I have 2 of them. Great little boxes as well - receiver and emitter, like the USBUIRT. Some are IP to IR, Wifi to IR, POE, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up