INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configure MC17 from 5.1 sound to 5.0  (Read 1182 times)

bassmann

• Recent member
Configure MC17 from 5.1 sound to 5.0
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my HT setup from 5.1 to 5.0 which means I'll lose the sub.

Reason is that if I get a set of substantial mains (with adequate bass reponse all the way down to 30Hz) why invest in a pair of Subs. In theory if the mains perform well low I'd be duplicating the role of a sub and infact intorduce phasing issues if the replacements perform.

To add some context, the main will probably be something thats 3 way with high end tweeters, a 7" for midrange and a 10" for bass. The room is smallish 5m * 4m so I have no desire to get down to 20Hz. They would be triamp'd with active crossovers.

Question is, can MC17 redirect the .1 Sub channel to the mains? If yes, how?

If no - the fallback option is to go 2 way mains with a pair of subs.

Cheers,

Bassmann

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Configure MC17 from 5.1 sound to 5.0
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:38 am »

I think you could do 5.0 like this:
Select 5.1 output in DSP Studio > Output Format, with JRSS enabled
Set DSP Studio > Output Format > Subwoofer to Silent
Use DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer > Mix channels to fold anything on the subwoofer channel into the mains
Finally, I would recommend 'Internal Volume' so that you have extra headroom for the bass you're adding to the mains

If you wanted to get fancy, you could even consider using Media Center to handle the triamping.  I think you'd get finer-grain control and better quality than you'd get with hardware crossovers.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

( p.s. I don't know if we can let you keep the handle 'Bassman' if you don't want bass down to 20Hz :P )
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bassmann

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »

Hi Matt,

Thanks, got it. I've used the Parametric with mode 'Add Sub to Left' and 'Add Sub to Right' etc.

Interesting thought using DSP Studio as a crossover. I see how the PEQ can be used to set LPF's and HPF's etc. But somehow I'd need to route the existing 2 left and right source channels into 6 channels which would be the existing left right plus 4 user channels. I can only find 2 user channels in the PEQ.

I also tried setting 12 channels in Output Format but it doesn't make anymore channels appear under PEQ.

I'd be aiming for 9 channels made up of 3 for left, 3 for right, centre, left rear, right rear. My soundcard can do this with its 10 outputs.

Any ideas how to create/route new channels within MC17?

Bassmann

p.s. maybe i could change my handle to almost?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »

Interesting thought using DSP Studio as a crossover. I see how the PEQ can be used to set LPF's and HPF's etc. But somehow I'd need to route the existing 2 left and right source channels into 6 channels which would be the existing left right plus 4 user channels. I can only find 2 user channels in the PEQ.

You can work one channel at a time.  So you copy from a channel to the final output channel in one step.  Then perform the filtering on that channel with a second step.  Then move on to another channel.  You probably wouldn't need user channels (which are just temporary channels used while you work) at all.

It is a problem that PEQ doesn't allow addressing more than 8 channels (and you want 9 or 10).  We'll change this in the future.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up