INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increased support for Squeezebox devices - LMS EOL  (Read 2964 times)

Ychng

• Junior Woodchuck
Increased support for Squeezebox devices - LMS EOL
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:57:09 pm »

Hi Matt, Jim and the rest of the gang,

News today that Logitech intends to no longer support Logitech Media Server and the Squeezebox line. My dream would be that MC would take over as the de facto LMS alternative!

Just putting this request out there now that LMS and the Squeezebox devices are likely end of life =( I have 4 squeezebox devices and having them all run off MC 18 would be awesome.

Yeang

bwaldron

• World Citizen
Re: Increased support for Squeezebox devices - LMS EOL
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »

News today that Logitech intends to no longer support Logitech Media Server and the Squeezebox line.

Not what Logitech announced. They stated that support will continue for Squeezeboxes and LMS, even with the introduction of their new UE line and no new Squeezebox hardware. One may question their sincerity/commitment, of course.

Ychng

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:55 pm »

Thanks for the factcheck. Probably smart of Logitech to say that lest they will not sell any more Squeezeboxes! It's sad the way that they are dumbing everything down. Wish Slim devices and Ultimate Ears had never been bought over by Logitech - two once great companies, now look at them. UE name has been commercialized more and more.

Still hoping that MC will take over as the de facto LMS solution for all the squeezeboxes out there. It's a big untapped market. Look at the success of iPeng!

Yeang

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:01:41 pm »

Still hoping that MC will take over as the de facto LMS solution for all the squeezeboxes out there. It's a big untapped market. Look at the success of iPeng!

Seriously, why would they do that?  The SB hardware line is over, so they'd be supporting only existing legacy hardware.  The UE radio works with Logitech's servers (no more LMS basically).  Besides that, the amount of effort and man-hours required to support, enhance, maintain SBS/LMS is at least a couple of full time people.  And then there's the proprietary firmware...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:48:45 am »

Seriously, why would they do that?  The SB hardware line is over, so they'd be supporting only existing legacy hardware.  The UE radio works with Logitech's servers (no more LMS basically).  Besides that, the amount of effort and man-hours required to support, enhance, maintain SBS/LMS is at least a couple of full time people.  And then there's the proprietary firmware...

I agree. One clarification: for (optional) local music with the UE radio, there is a local server for the UE radio that is essentially the LMS code with some features/options removed (no web UI for player control, no random playback...).

vagskal

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15:25 am »

I think a good strategy would be for MC to do whatever they can to enhance the DLNA send to Squeezeboxes via Whitebear experience. That way Squeezebox users can just point LMS to an empty folder and use MC/JRemote for browsing and controlling playback. Only the basic functionality of LMS (sending streams to a particular player or to a group of synced players) would then be needed. I think many users with large libraries, especially on Windows, experience performance issues with LMS and would benefit from all the capabilities of MC. There are also some issues with LMS (very long scan times and issues with picking up changed cover art etc.) that can be avoided this way.

For those of us used to iPeng and Squeezepad the ability to use the MC (web) link feature with web gizmo and JRemote would be very welcome, for instance. Being able to easily look up artists and albums on the Internet when browsing with JRemote on the iPad (in app or via Safari) would enhance the experience and make it more equivalent to what we are used to with the Squeezebox apps.

raldo

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »

Seriously, why would they do that?  The SB hardware line is over, so they'd be supporting only existing legacy hardware.

Indeed, and from the recent develpment efforts, it seems as if Airplay is a lot more interesting...

HiFiTubes

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »

So these re-badged Sqeeze radios don't' show up as zones in MC the SQT do for example?

My understanding was the DLNA architecture was the same across the Sqeeze device range, and there was a thread a while back that they can be recognized as Zones.

:-\

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:52 am »

Indeed, and from the recent develpment efforts, it seems as if Airplay is a lot more interesting...

Sorry for a late response in this thread, but what is more interesting in Airplay? Support for flac? Streaming 24bit 192kHz? DSD? It seems to me Airplay is just another proprietary Apple thing. From Wikipedia: "...streams are transcoded using the Apple Lossless codec with 44100 Hz and 2 channels..."
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:07 am »

So these re-badged Sqeeze radios don't' show up as zones in MC the SQT do for example?

My understanding was the DLNA architecture was the same across the Sqeeze device range, and there was a thread a while back that they can be recognized as Zones.

I have not bought a UE Radio (nor will I), but I have downloaded the UE Server software and experimented with it a bit. And I cannot see any hooks that would allow UPnP/DLNA Control Points to talk to it; neither directly nor indeed via Whitebear. It's a shame, since otherwise I would probably try to find a way to make it work.

But if, as you say, you have other information than the above, please give me more details...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up