INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 feature request - multichannel plugin manager for VST DX plugins  (Read 1610 times)

bassmann

• Recent member

Hi,

I'd like to request a multichannel plugin manager for VST DX plugins.

I run a 5.1 system and use either VST or DX plugins however the plugins need to support 5.1 or they won't load.

The issue is there are not many 5.1 VST DX plugins out there and the high-end ones tend to be either mono or stereo. These do not run unless MC is set to run mono or stereo as well.

The idea would be that a plugin could be loaded into a single channel. An example of this would be a say a PEQ on a sub and limiters onthe mains.

Many options for a solution here, it could be a mixer with inserts or some sort of routing matrix. For eg, the same way as plugins are loaded into a DAW like Cubase.

Cheers,

Bassmann

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC18 feature request - multichannel plugin manager for VST DX plugins
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:56 am »

Good idea.

We're also open to adding functionality to Parametric Equalizer if there's just something specific you want.  This has the advantage of providing a consistent UI, being stable and thread-safe (sometimes VST effects are not), and will support the coming 'playback presets' feature of v18.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bassmann

• Recent member
Re: MC18 feature request - multichannel plugin manager for VST DX plugins
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:54:04 am »

- How about a GUI for the PEQ (see image). No doubt its functional but its tedious to dial in compared to say the  Voxengo's HarmoniEQ. THis also does 5.1 and has 7 PEQ's per channel (42 PEQ's in a 5.1 setup), a GUI and sprectrometer.

- If adding a GUI to PEQ I'd probably pull out anything not PEQ related and have it stand alone. E.g.limiters into their own plugin as there not a PEQ and should be near the end of the signal chain anyway (so they do limiting correctly)
- A peaking or bell shaped PEQ (maybe its there and I just can't see it).

- In the effects plugin, what about an option to send effects effect speakers only (rears) so the front remains directional and the rears give a wide ambient signal. A high cut filter to roll off the top end also helps with directionality in the effect speakers.

New ideas
- a SUB plugin that's dedicated to the SUB. I would do limit, PEQ, levels and tailered to the sub's range.
- Test Tone generator at the end of the signal chain to measure response after effects are applied. This would be a tone to check levels and a sweep for spectrum analysis.

Jut some thoughts off the top of my head. No right or wrong way to do any of this.

(almost) bassmann

Pages: [1]   Go Up