INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Version  (Read 2425 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Mac Version
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

Having never used a Mac before, I hate Windows for HTPCs so am really looking forward to trying something new.

For those who have used both, what is the HTPC experience like between them. I have an MCE iR receiver using a Logitech 300 remote as input - can this be used on a Mac?

Are there requirements for Macs - AMD supported?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac Version
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:35:16 am »

OSx only supports intel CPU's as far as I know. You'll have to purchase a machine from Apple to play with OSx. You can not purchase OSx for your regular desktop or laptop.
I have no idea of what remote hardware is supported for the system.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »

You'll have to purchase a machine from Apple to play with OSx. You can not purchase OSx for your regular desktop or laptop.

Not 'technically' true - there are plenty of people running OSX on non-Apple hardware.  Whether that is 'proper' to do is another question.  As to AMD processor support, pretty sure some have done that too - but if you have to ask, it isn't worth your while.

As to a Mac as an HTPC - this really isn't the best place to ask.  I know it can be done, but not sure what limitations you will run in to or how tied in to the iTunes ecosystem you will be.  My primary desktop, and my wife's primary laptop are both OSX machines.  I have two systems doing HTPC duty and they are both running Windows.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »

OSx only supports intel CPU's as far as I know. You'll have to purchase a machine from Apple to play with OSx. You can not purchase OSx for your regular desktop or laptop.

Legally, true.

Technically?  Mountain Lion works pretty darn well in VMWare Workstation 9.  There's a few things that don't work right (iMessage and iBooks Author being the two most annoying examples), but I ran Final Cut X in my VM just last night and it works fantastic.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:36:27 pm »

Most people will not run virtual machines on their HTPC's, or purchase illegal machines that run OSx. Most things can be done in one way or another. Legal or Illegal. I just thought it was a waste of time bringing it up :P Does anybody really run OSx as a virtual guest on a HTPC for anything but the experiment it self?? What can possibly be the benefit? If you REALLY want to go away from Windows, you'll have to go for ESX, and that does not support OSx, does it? I've just played with workstation and server version of VMWare my self.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

Most people will not run virtual machines on their HTPC's, or purchase illegal machines that run OSx. Most things can be done in one way or another. Legal or Illegal. I just thought it was a waste of time bringing it up :P Does anybody really run OSx as a virtual guest on a HTPC for anything but the experiment it self?? What can possibly be the benefit? If you REALLY want to go away from Windows, you'll have to go for ESX, and that does not support OSx, does it? I've just played with workstation and server version of VMWare my self.

I was personally referring to the fairly widespread use of running OSX on non-Apple hardware, not running VM's or purchasing 'illegal machines'.  Whether running a legally purchased copy of OSX on a non-Apple PC is 'illegal' is a topic similar to ripping Blu Rays or DVDs.  In most cases people do this (run OSX on non-apple hardware) because the user needs or wants a 'desktop' class PC, but does not want the 'all in one' iMac and can't justify spending a few thousand extra dollars for the now woefully out of date Mac Pro line.  There is a market segment that Apple is ignoring, and that segment is filling the gap themselves by running OSX on their 'regular desktop'.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:31:01 am »

I've never heard of anyone I know of that is using OSx on "normal" PC's. That's why I though it was rather rare. I heard of one company selling computers with OSx, but they got taken down rather fast. Hence the "illegal machines" comment. Btw, ripping DVD and Bluray for personal use is not illegal in all countries.

rlebrette

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 02:35:31 pm »

FYI, personal copies are prohibited in France as soon as the media is using a copy protection system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up