INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More output channels  (Read 2186 times)

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
More output channels
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

Hello,

following this discussion : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73416.0 :

My project is to use J River with AudioFire 12 and 5 power amps to bi-amplify 3 theater speakers, 4 surrounds and 2 DIY subs.

I tried to configure DSP to have the following setup ; although I changed the channel to 12, I don't understand how to wire logical channels inputs to physical outpout.

Here is the objective :

for LCR, filter above 1kHz to send to outpout 1 2 3
for LCR, filter between 60Hz and above 1kHz to send to outpout 4 5 6
for surround, duplicate signal to rear (I know how to do this one)
for SL SR, send to output 7 8
for Rear L Rear R send to output 9 10
for LCR below 60Hz, send to output 11  12
for LFE, send to output 11  12

it would be nice if MC could offer more than 10 output channels. I need 12, but I guess some people could go as far as 16.

Many thanks in advance for taking this into account in a future release,

BG44

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: More output channels
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »

DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels allows selecting up to 32 output channels already.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Re: More output channels
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:01 am »

Yeah, but we can't access them all in the PEQ or room correction.......unless there's something I'm missing. I also have an AF12 but can only use 10/12 in the PEQ.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:06 am »

The additional channels definitely need to be made available in the PEQ and possibly Room Correction.

It might be nice to be able to choose the format (ie 5.1 or 7.1) and then the total number of channels. This way you could have 5.1 with 12 channels or 5.1 with 24 channels so that JRSS could still be used.

It would also be helpful if the user could choose 8 channels in addition to 7.1. 7.1 would keep the conventional channel naming, but choosing 8 channels or more would then revert to numbering the channels sequentially (Channel 1, Channel 2, etc.). This would make it much easier to keep track of channels when making digital crossovers for multiple speakers.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:39 am »

I can't work out how to get a digital crossover working in MC, so I am using Reaper to the same effect.  I would prefer to use just MC if I could suss out how!

Ideally, for me, this is how it would work:
  • There would be a nice clear way to control the routing.  This would basically be an interface that linked a MC internal name with the hardware.  As things stand, I can't see how to do this in MC.  It may be that to implement it you would need to create virtual soundcards, a bit like ReaRoute in Reaper, but they would presumably not need to be addressable from outside MC (although that might be a plan for later!)
  • Linked to this, you would then be able to choose whether the channels took a clone of another input, or used some pre-processing such as high pass of some fancy surround sound system.  At the moment you have the 'copy side to rear' option, but it needs more and to be more configurable.
  • The parametric eq would then be able to apply to each channel individually or as a group.  This works perfectly as is, except for that in the parametric eq there are only ten channels.  Rather than just add channels (there will never be enough for everyone!), it would be best to have the separate routing table, and then the drop-down in the PEQ would reference this table.

It seems to me that I am asking you to reproduce a good chunk of a full DAW, sorry! :)

BTW I downloaded MC specifically because of the possibility of this kind of system, but I like the control system and configurability of custom tags so much that my $60 will be on its way to you within a couple of days!

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:11 pm »

OK, some more detail.  I am using a Lynx AES16 card, which has 8 stereo channels.  I would like to use five of these for a digital crossover.

I have finally sussed out how to use the Parametric Eq, to clone the L&R to the 'surround' channels and then run the filters on there.  It works perfectly for the eight channels L, R, S, C, Ls, Rs, Lr, Rr or whatever they are.  But that only gives four ways, and I need five.  There are User 1 and User 2 channels in the PEQ, but these don't seem to do anything.

I have set up the Lynx with 12 channels, and also MC that way, so I can't see why it doesn't work, unless the User 1 and User 2 headings are just placeholders.

Has anyone managed to get anything out of the U1&2 settings?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:46 pm »

There's currently no way to address channels beyond #8 with Parametric Equalizer.

We will change this for v18.

User channels are temporary placeholders you can use during processing.  Imagine copying data, doing some work, then moving or adding it back.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:43:22 pm »

Great, thanks Matt!

I will head over to the beta of 18 soon anyway, for the improved loopback facility.  Really impressed with the feature set of MC  :)

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:10 am »

Hi Matt,

thanks for the good news  8)

Can't wait to play around with my 12 channels !

Take care,

BG44
Pages: [1]   Go Up