INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J River on iPad or Galaxy Note?  (Read 5523 times)

Chronic

• World Citizen
J River on iPad or Galaxy Note?
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:46 am »

Im looking to buy a tablet & unsure whether to go for an iPad or Galaxy Note...

As far as JRiver goes,  is the iPad is the best option?

Im assuming on an iPad i could actually install JRiver on the iPad & have it sync to my home PC's JRiver library using an acess key/the internet, having full view of my Home/Server MC, whereas on Galaxy Note id be restricted to using the Gizmo app?

Thanks for any help with this ;)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: J River on iPad or Galaxy Note?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:24 am »

A few observations I've made:

- With iPad you get a locked universe. With Android it's a lot more open.
- Ipad has a few remote control apps, that gets media from the MC Library server and they look pretty nice. I do not know if this can be used outside a LAN.
- Android units can run Gizmo and other apps to control the Media Network which iPad can not. Playback to and from different units.
- Android can let you sync your library from the server or client, locally to the pad, so you can play music or video on the pad without network. Sync to an iPad is not very easy with JRiver MC. You'll have to use a combination of plugins and iTunes to make it work.
- Both units can use Web-gizmo.

Apple aims for IT domination and monopoly with their round patents and try to crush Samsung in court. Yea, I know that Samsung is no saints either. They do get a bit to inspired by Apple sometimes. But most, if not all products has their inspiration from others. Noting is completely new. The big problem here is the patent system. But apple takes advantage of this. Apple is in my opinion, evil. So I would avoid their products at all cost. But hey... that's just me :)

If I were you, I might consider waiting to see what kind of tablets are introduced with Win8 OS. The non RM version would be able to run MC in for example Theater View. Allowing you to use it locally, or as a client to your server for easy sync. And it could work as a Tremote remote for Theater View on a big screen :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:14:46 am »

Thanks for the great response, in my heart i want to go for Galaxy Note so this is good news  ;)

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:26:50 am »

The problem with the Note, is that it only runs 4.0. Not Jellybean, that offers better performance and smooth operation. But it's probably not bad with this hardware anyway. There have been some talk of minor problems on the tab though. Mostly software related. I would guess that this gets a fix with an update soon though.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:31:41 am »

I think the Note 10.1 will be upgradable to Jellybean soon, i won't rush into it though

I lost my Galaxy S3 last week, hence looking to get a tablet with 3G...

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:03 am »

ive decided to wait for the Galaxy Note 2, should be on jellybean & a good compromise between phone & tablet ;)

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:13 am »

If you want a really mobile device, that one should be great I think. If you want to spend some time surfing of using apps and game on it, I would advice on getting a bigger device though. A friend of mine bought the Nexus Galaxy 7 inch pad. And he thinks it's to small. And that phone is even smaller :)

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:26 am »

It'll just be for a bit of everything, phone, portable media player, bit of web surfing, and of course using as remote for MC
No gaming & not using as a dedicated web browser, just on the move browsing

I'll be taking it everywhere i go so i feel 15cm length is right on the limit of what im willing to carry all day everyday, and even thats pushing it
Pages: [1]   Go Up