INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming files to same location can cause them to get deleted.  (Read 686 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Renaming files to same location can cause them to get deleted.
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:55:31 am »

I have had this happen to me on more than one occasion when changing systems/drives/etc.  The files have not physically moved, but their logical path has changed.  Trying to rename/update the path in MC makes MC see it as a physical move, and if there is ANY access problem (permissions, etc) MC will complain about not being able to access the file but then will successfully delete the file from the old location.  End result is the file is permanently gone.

The only time I've had it happen on hundreds of files at once, I had a backup to restore from.  I've also had it happen to smaller groups of files where I have had to go back to the physical media.

Is there anyway to force MC to update the logical path info WITHOUT it trying to move the files in the process?  Everything I have tried (rename, find/replace on path/etc.) makes MC try to physically move the files.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Renaming files to same location can cause them to get deleted.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »

Use Find/Replace mode in the Rename tool, but be sure to set the option "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)".
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up