INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Sub menus in theatre view  (Read 1382 times)

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio Sub menus in theatre view
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:33 pm »

How can you add a sub view to the Audio menu in Theatre view? I wish to create a view based on query [SampleRate]>44100 for a HD Audio submenu and CD submenu [SampleRate]<=44100 and and a tag for imported CD's.

I have successfully done something similar for Video under Movies for BluRay vs DVD, but cannot work out how to add a view under the Audio section.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Audio Sub menus in theatre view
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:18 am »

You're trying to add a secondary roller?  If so,

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70214.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:28:25 am »

There are different ways to provide for selection according to any such a criteria. Which you prefer will depend on how it tends to be used and what you become comfortable with.

Sub menus are created by nesting the desired views under one menu item. Each menu would have a Rule for file display restricting it to the desired value (i.e., HD, CD, Import and maybe 'All'). One advantage of this approach is it defaults to the last used menu, while still providing the means to quickly change the selection.

If the criteria is often changed, it might be simpler to just include it as the first Category in one view. In other words, on each use you would first select the 'audio type' (or let it default to 'All') and then continue with whatever categories you normally use.

A hybrid approach would be to use sub menus, but for the 'All' menu include the audio type as the last Category. This would provide the means for selecting an album without regard for the audio type, but be presented with that choice should there be more than one version of an album. If that's unlikely, place the Category before [Album] so you can select an Artist, then be given the choice of available audio types (of Albums). That choice won't appear where there's only one type, and the choice can be bypassed by selecting the default value of 'All' (make sure the option to include 'All' is selected).

It might also be helpful to consider this choice is relevant to the handling of any selection criteria. And how you provide for one can impact on how you do so for another. For example, handling the choice of audio type using sub menus likely precludes doing the same for [Genre]. That might be fine, as it's better handled at the parent menu level (e.g., separate menus for Classical, Rock and Other) if they're never mixed, or as the first Category in each sub menu if they are. There's no 'right' answer here—this is all about deciding what works best for you.

dean70

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »

Sub menus are created by nesting the desired views under one menu item. Each menu would have a Rule for file display restricting it to the desired value (i.e., HD, CD, Import and maybe 'All'). One advantage of this approach is it defaults to the last used menu, while still providing the means to quickly change the selection.

If the criteria is often changed, it might be simpler to just include it as the first Category in one view. In other words, on each use you would first select the 'audio type' (or let it default to 'All') and then continue with whatever categories you normally use.

Thanks for that. This would be the appoach I would take - it has worked quite well for video, but for the life of me, I couldnt renember how I did it previously. I will take another look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up