INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Idea: Integration with Steam's Big Picture  (Read 3286 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Feature Idea: Integration with Steam's Big Picture
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »

I use Steam for playing most games. They are coming out with a Big Picture mode for use on TV's and projectors. I think it would be neat to integrate this into JRiver for playing games. Integration could include automatic loopback so the JRiver DSP gets used for all audio. Here are some screenshots:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Idea: Integration with Steam's Big Picture
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »

I'm not sure how it fits with what we do, but I have a lot of respect for Gabe and Steam.

Steam is also starting to offer things other than games.

And soon Windows will be competing with Steam with their marketplace (although it may be limited to phone-style Modern UI apps).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

While the Big Picture mode could be just another link in Theater View, I'm thinking that you could do something similar to Netflix. A user could enter their Steam account info into JRiver and get access to all their games and have views that show the Store, Library, Community, and News. This would make JRiver a better front end to support all media for music, movies, pictures, or games.

I just updated to the Steam beta and it looks nice. I added a button to Theater View and used the command line argument "steam://open/bigpicture" (without quote). It opens Steam in Big Picture mode, but when exiting you are returned to the regular steam view. I think it is an issue that Steam needs to fix.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

This is off topic, but for external items added to Theater View, it would be nice to have an option to turn on the loopback feature. The loopback would start when the program is launched and stop when JRiver regains focus. This option could then be added as well to Netflix, Youtube, etc.

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »

This is off topic, but for external items added to Theater View, it would be nice to have an option to turn on the loopback feature. The loopback would start when the program is launched and stop when JRiver regains focus. This option could then be added as well to Netflix, Youtube, etc.

+1

I've tried to use the command line to do something similar with HBO Go and MOG in Chrome, but I often get errors and crashes. Probably is the way I wrote the particular batch file (my skillz are sorely lacking), but having a built in feature would be a GREAT feature addition as more media is offered online.
Pages: [1]   Go Up