INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I avoid the click noise when stop?  (Read 5440 times)

rdsu

• Recent member
How can I avoid the click noise when stop?
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »

Hi,

How can I avoid the click noise when stop?

I tried Kernel Streming and WASAPI Event Style, changing buffer size, but nothing works on stop.
If I select ASIO, I don't have sound or click, but the track is running...

I'm using a CAPS v3 > Audio-gd DI-V3 > Leema Pulse III (internal DAC).

The click is from the DAC.

I also tried the Latest version, because I saw that since version 18.0.141 (2/27/2013) you add:
3. NEW: Added WASAPI Event Style option "Play a little silence on DoP stop (removes click with some DACs)".
But now I have clicks on start and stop.

Thanks

rayooo

• World Citizen
Re: How can I avoid the click noise when stop?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »

I've experimented with this as well over the ages, both with a W4S DAC-2 and now a Esoteric D-07X.
Both end up popping or clicking at one point or another.  I've never gotten totally pop/click free.

I use USB Async, WASAPI Event.  have tried all the various settings, no help.

The W4S was actually better of the two, as it plays bit depth/sample rate changes pretty seamless for the most part. (I don't re-sample in MC)
The worst case on the D-07X is the initial track playback, if it's bit depth/sample rate is different that what was last played, I get a pretty nasty click.
After the initial start, the D-07X mutes it's output with relay...which in itself is annoying as I hear the relay.

I'm pretty sure if I set MC to a single output bit-depth/sample rate, things would be much better.

MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »

You may be able to work around that problem by resampling everything to the highest bitrate your DAC will play.  Use MC's DSP Studio/Output Settings.

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »

I can try the resampling suggestion, but I would like to avoid that...

So it seems that the new WASAPI Event Style option isn't work very well...

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:15:52 pm »

It works perfectly well with most hardware, but it does still depend on the audio drivers being reasonable and well-working.

Esoteric hardware is esoteric, unfortunately.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

I can try the resampling suggestion, but I would like to avoid that...

Thanks

I was trying to avoid up sampling everything as well, as such I've accepted the issues.
I'd not really ever considered this an MC issue, simply how a given DAC deals with changing input formats on-the-fly.
It seems the MC developers have tried to help things a bit here and there with things like "play silence" etc. but in the end, it's the DAC builders that might look into ways of better handling varying input formats...although I may be all wrong about this.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »

It works perfectly well with most hardware, but it does still depend on the audio drivers being reasonable and well-working.

Esoteric hardware is esoteric, unfortunately.

W4S must be esoteric also.    ;D

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:43:10 pm »

Could be the USB > SPDIF Converter, because the DAC doesn't have this issue when I play audio through AppleTV2...

If I can help to improve this on JRiver, count with me...

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

Could be the USB > SPDIF Converter, because the DAC doesn't have this issue when I play audio through AppleTV2...

Does the AppleTV2 play a consistent bit depth and rate?

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:09 pm »

Does the AppleTV2 play a consistent bit depth and rate?
I think it is 16-24bit/48kHz. On it I use XBMC...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »

Have you tried the various options under:

Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode settings?

Specifically, try the Play a little silence on DoP stop and changing the buffer size.  A higher buffer size is NOT better "quality", it is higher latency.  Try both increasing and decreasing it, and see if you can either eliminate the click, or change it.

And, it is worth disabling the various "tweaks" you may have applied.  In particular, Play files from memory, and anything in the DSP.  When you do all of this, try to do it methodically.  Start with defaults.  Don't enable/disable multiple options all at once, but do one at a time.  Try again.  If it doesn't work, put it back and try something else.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

Unfortunately that drives me crazy too... Although in my case it is basically not audible... sometimes when I stop the track I hear the pop (say 1 out of 10) and sometimes when I choose to change the song I am currently playing I also get pop sometimes (say 4 out of 10)... My DAC = Mytek handles changes of bitrates pretty well -> I do not hear pops/clicks there. I do not have clicks/pops when playing the album from start to end -> then it is all smooth.

But I also have the same problem with Escient Fireball E2 music servers... I think when you hit stop or change the song abruptly JRiver tries to IMMEDIATELY execute the command. Hence the stream of bits is broken abruptly and click/pop. For Music lovers it will be nice if STOP or change song was executed with the delay but making sure that data is deliver without a break to DAC. I know there is always fading but well we music lovers(=audiophiles) do not like fading... So even if technically this is not a JRiver problem -> well user executed stop so JRiver is stopping the stream but it just may be a good feature... I would vote for "SOFT STOP" and "SOFT change of tracks".

My 2 cents.
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

stewart_pk

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 07:09:37 pm »

I reckon you should try using ASIO with the ASIO4ALL 2.10 driver from http://www.asio4all.com.

Yeah I know it's not real ASIO, just kernal streaming with a wrapper but it works very well, for me anyway.

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 07:17:30 pm »

Have you tried the various options under:

Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode settings?

Specifically, try the Play a little silence on DoP stop and changing the buffer size.  A higher buffer size is NOT better "quality", it is higher latency.  Try both increasing and decreasing it, and see if you can either eliminate the click, or change it.

And, it is worth disabling the various "tweaks" you may have applied.  In particular, Play files from memory, and anything in the DSP.  When you do all of this, try to do it methodically.  Start with defaults.  Don't enable/disable multiple options all at once, but do one at a time.  Try again.  If it doesn't work, put it back and try something else.
I did all that, and nothing worked...

I'm using the default settings for ASIO/Kernel Streaming/WASAPI Event Style, with "Play files from memory" disable and none DSP.

Like I said, I also tried the Latest version (18.0.153), because I the new option under WASAPI Event Style, but with it enabled I have start and stop track clicks... That is why I said that something could be wrong with this new feature, because it worked worse than without it...

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:19 pm »

I reckon you should try using ASIO with the ASIO4ALL 2.10 driver from http://www.asio4all.com.

Yeah I know it's not real ASIO, just kernal streaming with a wrapper but it works very well, for me anyway.
That make ASIO work again, but the click on stop continues... ;)

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »

Can I run some debug program to help on this?

Just a note: I tried foobar2000, but with it I have clicks on start, pause, change track and stop...

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »

Isn't this just down to how your DAC handles a change in sample rates? Even if I just change the output format in the control panel (completely outside of JRiver) I get a click when there's nothing playing through it.
To reduce this from happening, perhaps setting Windows' output format to 24-bit, 44100Hz might help? (assuming most of your tracks are CD audio)
And am I mistaken, or doesn't the new option only apply to bitstreaming DSD over PCM (DoP)?

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:15 am »

That's always been my presumption as well, I've tried 3 DACs now, all three react differently to bit dept/rate changes, none have been totally immune to a pop or clik from time to time during track changes, stop and/or start.

I've not tried, but possibly running SPDIF might affect things.
I've tried that new setting (DoP), no affect on my particular setup....if it only applies to bitstreaming, that would be why! :)

In my case, I prefer not to re-sample to a fixed output rate in MC, thus I live with the annoyances.  No doubt doing so, feeding the DAC the same bit rate all the time would help.

Isn't this just down to how your DAC handles a change in sample rates? Even if I just change the output format in the control panel (completely outside of JRiver) I get a click when there's nothing playing through it.
To reduce this from happening, perhaps setting Windows' output format to 24-bit, 44100Hz might help? (assuming most of your tracks are CD audio)
And am I mistaken, or doesn't the new option only apply to bitstreaming DSD over PCM (DoP)?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:32 am »

You might be right.  I'm not sure, but I thought it was worth trying.  That does make sense, though.

I will add...  I'm not having this issue, but I noticed just last night that I'm now getting a click-on-starting playback on my basement server system.  I used to get that a long, long time ago (early MC17 I think, with a different board), but it seems to have come back with a more recent build.

I don't use that system for anything approaching high-quality audio.  The fans from my server itself (mostly the ridiculously loud video card), and more importantly, my RAID box are way too loud to have nice audio in that room (and my speakers are Aiwa pieces of crap too, though I've never bothered to replace them because... well, see above).  In any case, I'm using pretty much as "vanilla" of a setup as can be imagined down there:

1. Realtek onboard audio (ALC898 on a ASUS P8Z77-Z Deluxe)
2. Analog outs to the analog 5.1 inputs on my Yamaha.
3. WASAPI Event Style (exclusive mode on)
4. Windows 7 Pro
5. Latest MC build

Pages: [1]   Go Up