INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing files into MC and copying files into Music directory  (Read 2338 times)

socaldrummer

Importing files into MC and copying files into Music directory
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:35 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to JRiver Media Center.  I'm re-ripping CD's into FLAC, and using MC with an AudioEngine D1, which sounds great.

Here's my question: if I want to pull MP3's into MC from an external source, like a network drive or a thumb drive, is there an option like in iTunes, where you can say "copy into Music folder when importing".  Basically if have MC music files all self-contained, and I want to move into that structure when I import.  So far, it's just putting a pointer to it in the files' original location.

I searched and didn't find anything - thanks!

SoCalDrummer (Mitch)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing files into MC and copying files into Music directory
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:16 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you would like, or if you solved it, but take a look at the Library Tool called "Rename, Move, Copy".  It can move files according to their metadata.  Try a few before you do very many.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »

MC doesn't use or require a separate file system structure like iTunes can use.  Rather, your media files can be anywhere.

Ripped files will be placed in the locations specified in Options > File Locations > Audio.

Existing files that you import retain their locations, and as JimH mentions, they may be moved using the Rename... tool.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

socaldrummer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

Thanks JimH and MrC.  I didn't think of using the "Rename, Move, Copy" tool for this, but you're right.  Since I've got clean metadata, I can just pull it off a network location or thumb drive and pull into MC using this.

My iTunes library is where all our music and movies are stored for the whole family.  Everyone has iPhones but me, and I've "seceded from the union" as it were - Android phone and Android tablet.  I've been playing with FLAC music too, so MC is a new journey but one I'm really enjoying.

Do appreciate the helpful feedback!
Pages: [1]   Go Up