INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok - The Duplicates Question  (Read 3222 times)

hotwire

• It's 24-7
Ok - The Duplicates Question
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:38 pm »

First let me say hello to all and that this appears to be a great forum for users.

Ok, let me start by saying, Yes, I have done the research here on the duplicate questions and it is in a since confusing at times with a few workable solutions in certain objects of its use.  I somewhat had this same issue with Winamp where it worked flawlessly in the early versions and after the all the new updates it became trash and unusable in may aspects, that's why I moved on to J River.

My Big question, Why have a Remove Duplicate Function in the context Menu if it doesn't do anything?

I first almost had a fit when I didn't see this feature (Function) in the normal context menu of the general music file library, and later found it is available in the playlists, however, it doesn't do anything when I Select All and try to apply it.  I have a Sade Playlist that has multiple duplicates and nothing is done or anything when I select the Remove Duplicates from the context menu within the playlist.

Like many other users, I feel this is a very nice feature when it works, and is an important part of music organizing.  I notice talk within some threads where the user go through steps of using the Smartlist function, however, I just wanted to make a possible request that this feature (Function) be looked at in the programming state, or at least make it work. 

I'm not sure how complex the coding is to do something like this, but it appears there is conflicting use of a tool like this based on how the duplicates are perceived, executed via tag info or actual file info.  in any case it would be nice if this feature is looked at in future updates.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and overall I truly love J River software over my long time use of Winamp. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

In A World of Dreams

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Ok - The Duplicates Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »

The Remove Duplicates button / context menu in playlists works by removing all but one of the same file in the playlist.  Test this - add a single file three times to a playlist, and then Remove Duplicates.

The ~dup and ~nodup smartlist modifiers work of the provided tags, using simple string comparison.

There isn't yet audio analysis-based duplicate detection in MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:37:42 pm »

The "Remove Duplicates" functions does not work.  Maybe I'm not implementing the feature correctly. Would be nice if somebody could offer up a solution to why MC adds several thousand duplicate entries in the first place and further, why the "Remove Duplicates" feature simply does not work.

Thanx .

MrC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »

The "Remove Duplicates" functions does not work.  Maybe I'm not implementing the feature correctly. Would be nice if somebody could offer up a solution to why MC adds several thousand duplicate entries in the first place and further, why the "Remove Duplicates" feature simply does not work.

Sorry, can you give more context?

- What do you mean by "adds several thousand duplicates entires..."?
   - Where are you trying "Remove Duplicates", and on what list?

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:15:13 pm »

I have about 70000 tunes in my library.  When I search on an Artist, like "Rush" I end up with many many duplicate tune entries.  The same happens for just about any search on any artist or tune that I perform - I end up with lots of duplicates.  So in this case, (Rush), I put the entire list into a playlist called, "Rush" and then I right click on the playlist then click on "Remove Duplicates" - and it does not work.  I've attached a screenshot of my Rush duplicates.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:59:03 pm »

Show the Filename column fully in that screenshot, please.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

Attached as requested. Thanx ...

MrC

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:44 pm »

It appears that Remove Duplicates considers the Filename, and since you have the same track multiple times (e.g. 10 Freewill.mp3 and 10 Freewill 2.mp3), MC leaves these alone.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:40:32 pm »

Right - I get that there is a difference in file name as you pointed out - but - there are duplicate file names and paths in that playlist.  Check the screenshot again please?  Thanx ...

MrC

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:49:43 pm »

I saw that, and I can't explain it (if the screenshot was taken after you pressed Remove Duplicates).  Maybe this was resolved in later versions (I'm testing on MC19).  Or maybe those are actually more than 2 files, but the is a non-visible or non-obvious character difference in the file names.  Can you check the album's folder for how many duplicate versions there are actually?

MrC

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »

Another way you can tell the difference between multiple file system files is by adding an expression column with the function:

FileKey()

Files that are unique will have a unique file key.

sperandeo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:04 pm »

I am having an issue with duplicates as well. Is this just something I'm going to have to live with with JRiver? OR is there a way to control this issue?

MrC

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »

I am having an issue with duplicates as well. Is this just something I'm going to have to live with with JRiver? OR is there a way to control this issue?

Hi there, and Welcome to Interact.

Can you describe more what you mean by "duplicates"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up