INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Media Connection Choice - iSCSI? Ethernet? Fiber?  (Read 1865 times)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
Remote Media Connection Choice - iSCSI? Ethernet? Fiber?
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:04:31 am »

Hey all,

I currently have my raid array IN my HTPC. I'd kind of like to move some noise out of my HT. So I'm considering seperating the two. I'm considered about streaming issues. What is the best way for me to do this?

1) Setup a share on the network and have MC17 on each computer access the same share?
2) Use MC17's DLNA media server?

If 2 - does transcoding/streaming add overhead to the signal? Will I lose quality?

Also, what kind of connection is needed? I currently am wired up with Cat6 and gigabit switches. I can upgrade to 10gbit switches/cards if needed? Or perhaps using iSCSI, or run some fiber?

Let me know thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Media Connection Choice - iSCSI? Ethernet? Fiber?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:06 am »

Hey all,

I currently have my raid array IN my HTPC. I'd kind of like to move some noise out of my HT. So I'm considering seperating the two. I'm considered about streaming issues. What is the best way for me to do this?

1) Setup a share on the network and have MC17 on each computer access the same share?
2) Use MC17's DLNA media server?

If 2 - does transcoding/streaming add overhead to the signal? Will I lose quality?

Also, what kind of connection is needed? I currently am wired up with Cat6 and gigabit switches. I can upgrade to 10gbit switches/cards if needed? Or perhaps using iSCSI, or run some fiber?

Let me know thanks!

Fiber? 10gbit network? Streaming requires not that much bandwidth, your current gigabit will do just fine streaming to several clients from a single server. Transcoding "might" loose quality, depending on what you're transcoding to. Basically you would transcode if a client is unable to watch a stream directly. I woudn't transcode at all unless there is no other way. Transcoding is an extremely CPU intensive task and not recommended IMHO.

MC17's media server options are very powerful, depending on your needs and wishes it may or may not be the right choice for you I don't know. You can move your current storage out of your HTPC to either a NAS or another PC/Server, the choice is yours. MC can work with remote shares just fine and auto-import can be protected to not delete your library in case a share is inaccessible.

Search the forums some more, especially the 'other hardware' topic. Lots of storage related topics have popped up recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up