INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVBLINK  (Read 4341 times)

mbc0

• Recent member
DVBLINK
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:39:56 am »

Hi,

I just downloaded the demo of Media Center 18 & am VERY impressed...however I am currently a user of Windows 7 MCE and as dull and feature-less as it is, it does work & most importantly (to me anyway) is that is works with DVBLINK, are there any plans for this, as soon as this feature is available I will shell out the cash :-)

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVBLINK
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »

What features of DVBLink are important to you?  MC18 already provides some of the features.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:42:00 pm »

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I use a Dreambox to supply all my channels to Media Center so I can record everything using the media center, i don't want to have to use two boxes to do all my recordings, thats all....

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:24:14 pm »

So I guess it's the mdapi-plugin you need also.
I started a thread with that request, no answer yet though...

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »

I really don't know what I need to make DVBLink work to be fair, I am not that up on it all... What I do know is that it works beautifully in Win 7 MCE but MCE is featureless and boring, JRiver looks fantastic & full of features but doesn't support DVBLINK.. I am not sure what NickF means by MC18 already provides some of the features? what features? it works or it doesn't as far as I know?

Cheers

csimon

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:41:15 am »

DVBLink has live streaming from TV cards to DLNA.  This is I think something that MC doesn't have and it would be useful. There is lots of TV streaming technology but most require the client to be a PC or a tablet/phone with proprietary software - there's very little that will stream to an actual TV or some other generic device with no special technology apart from DLNA. When TVs have their own built-in tuners, why would this be useful?  Well, if you have one satellite box for example and to make satellite TV available in other areas in the house you would need extra cabling from the dish and separate satellite boxes for each room.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:46:09 am »

Is it possible for a developer to comment on this please? I would love to know which way to go with my Media Center as I am currently sorting out a multiroom setup, obviously I know mce can use DVBLink & so does Media Portal & XBMC I would just like to know how close things are with JRiver... Many Thanks

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:03:57 am »

I'm not a developer or linked with jriver, but I posted on this a while back. Fabien44 got a reply from the dvblink forum that the problem is likely that dvblink uses PBDA rather than BDA and thus incompatible. Rewriting jriver code to PBDA would mean no XP compliance.

Here's the msdn page on PBDA: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463120.aspx

Maybe an alternative is for native jriver encryption support. There have been whisperings every now and again of Encrypted TV support, but nothing conclusive. I'm guessing the Dev team have been too busy with porting existing code into MC18 over the past 6/12 for any new and Potentially tricky code.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:17:42 am »

Thanks for the reply, doesn't sound too promising... :-( however maintaining XP support? I do realise the benefits on slower machines for XP but I think it is time to let XP go now..... :-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up