INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio (Parametric Equalizer)  (Read 4391 times)

BayensF

• World Citizen
DSP Studio (Parametric Equalizer)
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:55:56 am »

Hello all,

To introduce a bit; I have build a HTPC with AMD E350 in a Luxa2 LM300 Pro enclosure. Looks nice but 2 mistakes; first AMD E350 and the LM300. Why? AMD E350 is to slow and LM300 buttons are good but you don't want to use them as you want to have the best audio (ASIO). So next time I would go for a cheaper enclosure and spend the money on a Intel i3 or better.

Second build was 2* 3-way Speakers. These are without crossover connected to >
Third build a 6ch "Gainclone" Amplifier with 4x a LM4780. 2x Parallel for LOW and 2x Stereo for MID and HIGH

For this setup a ASUS XONAR D2X was added into the HTPC. And of coarse I am using MC (17.0.186).

So now to the question. I am using Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) to make the crossover, works perfect, and sounds more than perfect. Only thing is that I do not know what is happening in MC. Example, if I use 12 dB  for LOW/MID/HIGH, do I need to reverse polarity on the MID? I have done it and measurement say yes. I might want to set a Low Pass Filter (6dB) on the LOW in PEQ not possible (to my knowledge). Yes I can do it but then I have to go into Room Correction. But how is MC handling it see my settings attached.

Will PEQ be handled first and then Room Correction?

Another item is the measurement, I am using today REW with a second PC. What will happen if I plug in REW? The new version is ASIO compatible. What will happen if I play a Sweep? Will it go through PEQ first? I hope so, if not I will "smoke" my tweeters.

Then if I do basic settings Audio/output mode setting/Asio settings > for channel swap and buffering, will this be applied? And if yes, before or after DSP/PEQ?
Related to this, why is MC swapping the C/LFE with SR/SL and reverse? No problem if you know but took me some time to find out. If you select the "swap" ow will this be applied?

So in general I miss a WiKi about this, any help will be welcomed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP Studio (Parametric Equalizer)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:47 am »

Then if I do basic settings Audio/output mode setting/Asio settings > for channel swap and buffering, will this be applied? And if yes, before or after DSP/PEQ?
Related to this, why is MC swapping the C/LFE with SR/SL and reverse? No problem if you know but took me some time to find out. If you select the "swap" ow will this be applied?

I'd recommend using a 'Channel Order' filter in Parametric Equalizer to control channel ordering.  It's easier to use, more flexible, and lets you fully control when the ordering gets done (you normally do this last, but it's up to you).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:33 am »

Will PEQ be handled first and then Room Correction?

You can control the order by dragging the order of effects in DSP Studio.

I would split for tri-amping after Room Correction, using Parametric Equalizer 2.

You can keep Parametric Equalizer 1 above 'Room Correction' so you can apply other effects before the timing / tri-amping splits get applied.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »

Thanks Matt for your prompt reply,

You are giving a solution, perfect but sorry I don't know how I can benefit. In PEQ we see many functions, some of them I know to use, others I don't know. So back to the main question, what about adding it to the WiKi?

As said before I don't want to try and error with the risk of "smoking" my tweeters.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

It would be a good idea to put a big cap on your tweeters for those possible errors as well as possible DC output from your amp. I use a 40uF. All of the options in the PEQ are standard fare for a parametric eq except for the BitDepth Sim in 18 and the channel mixing stuff.

How are you doing measurements with another computer? I use MC and all of my measurement software on one PC with the Loopback function, that way MC processes the measurement through it's DSP stack before the output.

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

Thanks for your response,

I had the same advise from Scan Speak to protect the tweeter by using a Cap. Only thing I don't know and they did not tell, does is have an effect on the sound?

Measurements are done with an external computer with REW. See @ this link  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69725.0

Any further advise is welcome, thanks in advance.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 06:03:37 pm »

Thanks for your response,

I had the same advise from Scan Speak to protect the tweeter by using a Cap. Only thing I don't know and they did not tell, does is have an effect on the sound?

That depends on where your tweeter hi-pass is, and the value of the cap is determined also by the impedance of the tweeter. I like to use the protection cap an octave or more below the high pass so it doesn't effect my crossover. In my case my tweeters are about 6ohms so I'm looking at about an 800hz roll off, which measurements confirm.

Another option is to choose a cap that begins to roll off at your high pass corner and use it as a part of your crossover. This will be cheaper because the cap will be smaller (if you use decent caps) but IMO limits your flexibility.

Here's a link to a calculator that you can use to determine this size of cap you want to use: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#cc

As far as your measurement setup from your link it looks like if you follow the directions it will show you the effects of your eq settings in MC. I think this is a pretty strange way to go about it though. You can use REW on the same pc that MC is on using the Loopback function: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70242.0 This way you can use REW's full capabilities and don't have to mess with recording sweeps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up