INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Channels for DVB-T, MC17-evaluating. Getting disalusioned  (Read 2302 times)

cliff forrest

• Recent member
Multiple Channels for DVB-T, MC17-evaluating. Getting disalusioned
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »

I am trying to get away from W7 WMC 'orrible children's GUI, but at least my USB DVB-T2 works flawlessly with it.

Using MC17 I get lots of similar channels (eg UK  Channel 4 has five entries with (1), (2) appended etc.)  I have searched here and now understand why only one of these channels has video, the rest audio or nothing.

Is one expected to go through the list, check each one and delete the "bad" ones?    This might be doable once, but they juggle the channels in the UK and the thought of doing it repeatedly makes me glum  :(   At least WMC doesn't do this.

Lots of stuff I don't know about MC17, so I am finding the learning curve steep.  I want to be able to record in a format other than (bloated) .WTV which then requires manual conversion  using Aimersoft.

Any UK users with a quick guide of how to simplify this process?

TIA  Cliff
MC17trial - I5 Asus Mb - 8Gb ram =  W7pro - 64Bit  - System partition on SSD - Local Server2007 Domain - Gb cabling.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Multiple Channels for DVB-T, MC17-evaluating. Getting disalusioned
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »

Well, I am not in the UK, so this may or may not help, but there was a post a while back about using keywords with channels to create custom guides.  Here is the post - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71255.0.  I use this with DirectTv, so I don't have to remove ALL the DTV channels that I don't get.  If we ever change our subscription package, I can add in the channels that we get, etc.

Maybe this will help,

Alex

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:19 am »

Unfortunately the TV tuning stuff is a bit of a mess at the moment. It certainly isn't as user-friendly as Win7 MC.

The problem is many times worse with DVB-S where there are hundreds of (1),(2),(3) etc extra channels.

I used to just willy-nilly delete all the unwanted ones, the extra () ones, the shopping channels etc. But there are two problems with this:
1) They reappear every time you do a rescan :(
2) You end up recording inadvertent channels which I don't think has yet been fixed (bug reported months ago).

Problem 2) arises because of the peculiar way MC choses which stream to record from each multiplex. Rather than recording just the stream containing the channel that you want, it record the whole multiplex, but subtracts the other channels from it. However it only subtracts the channels it knows about from the multiplex and so if you've deleted some channels from your library channel list, then it'll fail to remove those from the recording. Weird! So for the moment I've kept all channels in the library which makes it a mess.
Once this bug is fixed, then it might be easier to have a tidy library. We could also post a 'playlist' of channels on the forum too, so that it would be a simple matter of adding the playlist to your library to get eg. All freesat channels (rather than having to go through the list of encrypted stuff and deleting them all). This could be user maintained/crowdsourced on the forum, so that when transponder frequencies change or new channels appear (like at the olympics), only one person needs to go through the rigmarole of retuning and deleting/tidying.

SBR

NickF

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:28 am »

Have a look at the wiki sections on TV setup.

Here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »

I am going to change the practice of making different audio programs in a given service separate "channels" in DVB TV, so that there will not be multiple channels with numbers appended at the end.  Hopefully this will be done soon.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:10 pm »

I am going to change the practice of making different audio programs in a given service separate "channels" in DVB TV, so that there will not be multiple channels with numbers appended at the end.  Hopefully this will be done soon.
That's great news.  It will simplify setting up somewhat.  Is there a convention for numbering of the audio PIDs.  How do we get the "normal" audio as the default?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »

I don't have an answer to that question yet. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up