INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording directv on channel 3 with my tuner card  (Read 1554 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
recording directv on channel 3 with my tuner card
« on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »

My AverMedia hybrid volar max can use NTSC channels, which allows me to send DirecTV to my computer through my capture card using channel 3. This works perfectly for WATCHING, but I cannot set anything to RECORD on a schedule!

I think the issue is that MC is looking for a program guide for "channel 3" and, obviously, there isn't one. I can record by right-clicking on display view, but I cannot set a recording schedule. Just because the programming guide is empty, does that mean I can't schedule channel 3 if I want?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: recording directv on channel 3 with my tuner card
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »

A few things you need to do:
1. You must setup your DirecTV channels as STB channels. 
2. Have an IR blaster (MCE Remote comes with a blaster)
3. Setup the blaster so it blasts into DirecTV remote sensor, and let MC learn the codes of DirecTV's remote control.
4. Setup EPG and match xmltv IDs with your STB channels.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:32 am »

Setting up a remote is not an option, unfortunately. Is there not a way to just skip the whole programming guide aspect and let me just perform strictly time-based recording? This is actually a directv box in my lab at work that already has a blaster-type sensor because it is run through a high-end Control4 switcher. I just wanted an easy way to record shows that might be beneficial for lab, or record some things on my laptop that I could keep.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »

Setting up a remote is not an option, unfortunately. Is there not a way to just skip the whole programming guide aspect and let me just perform strictly time-based recording? This is actually a directv box in my lab at work that already has a blaster-type sensor because it is run through a high-end Control4 switcher. I just wanted an easy way to record shows that might be beneficial for lab, or record some things on my laptop that I could keep.

Programming guide is not strictly needed.  However, we set up STB channels using xmltv data.  The process establishes the following:

Associating your analog video capture device, and a channel on it (channel 3 in your case) with the DirecTV channels.

Once that is done, playing, and recording, a channel involves running your analog video capture device, tuning it to channel 3, and firing IR blaster to change channel on DirecTV box.

You therefore do need to let your IR blaster learn the IR code for numbers 0, 1, 2, ..., 8, 9, for the DirecTV box.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up