INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server not running after system boot. Gizmo unable to connect  (Read 1703 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,

Win 7 x64 SP1
JR MC 18.0.48
Gizmo 18.0.37

upgraded to 18.0.48 a few days ago.  I noticed tonight via Gizmo that albums imported & smartlists created since the upgrade weren't showing.

Did some investigation and identified that Gizmo was connecting to the the V17 library

In Windows
  • Task Manager: the Media Center 17.exe was running
  • Services:  the Media Center 17 Service was started (& Media Center 18 Service was not).  Both are set to manual
  • Configuration Manager Startup Item: Media Center 17 is listed

I have performed the following
  • launched v17 and disabled Media Library
  • Disabled Media Center 17 in the configuration Manager startup
  • Performed multiple reboots
  • reinstalled V18
  • Confirmed under Options - Startup - Windows Startup that Media Server is selected

After system boot I cannot get Gizmo to connect.  When I look at the PC there isn't a JR Media Center process running.  Once I launch Media Center 18 I can connect.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Steve

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Server not running after system boot. Gizmo unable to connect
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:50:42 am »

Had another idea...
In Options - Startup - Windows Startup, I selected Nothing & then exited.  Went back in & selected Media Server & exited
Rebooted & Media Server started OK.  Gizmo is able to connect

Not sure if there is / was something wrong with my system, or if the MC 18 install package isn't picking up this setting correctly

Suspect I've addressed my issue but will perform some frequent reboots over the next few days & report any issues

Cheers,

Steve

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:04 am »

It sounds like the issue was launching both versions at boot.

If you enable Media Server in v18 (Options > Startup > Run on Windows startup > Media Server), please disable any startup actions in earlier versions (Options > Startup > Run on Windows startup > Nothing).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:28 am »

Hi Matt,

thanks for responding

after the installation of v18
  • In Windows System Configuration - Start-up there wasn't an entry for JR MC 18, only v17.  I disabled the v17 entry
  • JR MC - Options - the Media Network was enabled and Media Server set to start on windows startup, however it did not create the entry in Windows System Configuration to start Media Server

I'd have thought the install package would create the v18 startup entry & potentially disable any prior versions (or at least notify the user)

I know how to handle this in the future, but if this is normal behaviour for the upgrade from v17 to v18 then I would think more users will get caught out

cheers,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up