INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner questions on clients  (Read 2267 times)

DaveS

• Recent member
Beginner questions on clients
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:52:35 am »

Hi,

I appreciate that this question is probably answered in other threads (I've read a lot of them) but the more I read the more baffled I'm getting!

I have an HTPC in the living room and I've just got JRiver up and running on it.

Now I'd ideally like to be able to watch the HD movies, TV series and play the music from other locations in the house.

We have TVs (cheap ones with no special network capability) in the living room and bedroom. I know I could buy a PC to act as a client for each of them, but is there a cheaper/quieter way? Any little box that I can hook up to them to use as a client. I'd like them to be able to play everything properly with artwork and metadata same as the main install.

Also, if I need to get a PC for each of them, can it be a really small low powered one? I'm not clear if the bulk of the work is done on the server or the client?

Any help much appreciated
Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Beginner questions on clients
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:57 am »

Welcome to the forum.  You could read about DLNA on our wiki.

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:06 am »

DLNA is a murky topic at best. A month ago I purchases  a large screen Panasonic ST50 series plasma as the main tv for family room. It is a so-called "smart" tv, that can access the Internet, also other devices through DLNA such as media servers. I also have several tvs scattered throughout the house as many people do. Some are newer "smart" tvs, others the older "dumb" variety.

I have many music files, videos, extensive photo collection, several TB's worth. These are located on a single Windows PC and also were on several external drives that can be plugged into the pc and accessed that way, a pain because it's hard to keep track what is where. Over the years I've burned many DVD's so I can play both my music and videos on a tv via a DVD. These days, kind of a crude method, but hey, it works.

Here's what I'm in the process of doing to get up to speed:

1. I purchased a WiFi router. Your Internet access plugs into it, and the router connects to your main PC both via Ethernet.
2. Any "client" can join a home network either being hard wired via ethernet or wirelessly if your router supports that.
3. Purchased a NAS (Network Access Server) which is a box with a mini computer and 1 or more hard drives.
4. In process of copying all my multimedia files to the NAS, advantage, can be accessed when PC is off, NAS stays on.
5. Smart clients like my new tv can "see" my files via my WiFi network by using DLNA and play them on the tv.
6. For the "dumber", older tvs, I use WD Live tv, a hardware based media server.

You're probably interested in #6. This is a relative cheap device sub $100. There's other brands that do more or less the same thing. It gives access to your files on a network, also to pay services such as Netflex, several RSS feeds, other things. It as a device is wireless and connects to your network that way. These days so do a Play Station, many DVD players, etc..

The WD Live has a HDMI out. If your tv doesn't have HDMI I'm not sure since I didn't need one, there's probably converter cables to match your tv inputs. You would need such a "box" for each device you want to give access to your files. You don't need multiple PC's.  If you go this route you don't really need another media server, that is built into the box. I got MC mainly because of all the cool things you can do with it, especially in file handling.

So far I have seven wireless devices on my "home network", tvs, tablets, cell phones and of course tvs. The minimum you need is some kind of router to wirelessly broadcast your files to other wireless devices in your home, and one or more media servers, either hardware or software based.  The NAS is optional and only practical if you have tons of files, you can easily access the files off any networked PC and you don't need multiple pc's. Obviously to work anytime, such a PC would need to be turned on.

The reason for having a hardware media server such as the WD Live is it bridges the gap so your dumber devices can join a wireless netowork. It itself is wireless, but it's output are hard wired so you don't need cables running all over the house, just a short run of one wire from the WD live to the dumber tv or whatever. Yes, there's other ways, this seems to be the most simple and cheapest.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »

I second the WDTV Live (I'm using two at home). While you can use them wirelessly, if running network cable is feasible, I would recommend doing that in order to get higher network throughput. Anecdotally, my set up worked much better once I ran cable instead of wi-fi but your mileage might vary.

DaveS

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:36:56 pm »

Thanks for the replies, and BillyBoyBlue, thanks for the in depth info.

My situation sounds similar to yours. I have had an HTPC in the living room which is on 24 hours a day and the whole family use (was running Windows Media Centre 7 until last night) There's a couple of TB of movies and music in there so I don't think I need NAS

The WD Live sounds like the way forward for the less important TVs round the house. I'll have a look at them in a minute.

Here's where I start to sound stupid though... Does the WD live just access the files on my main PC directly? Or can it talk to JRiver?

The reason I use JRiver is the theatre view. So do I get the same Theatre view on the TV which is plugged into WD Live, or does WD Live have it's own 10 foot interface?

The other thing is that so far, JRiver has played everything I have thrown at it with correctly with no problems (unlike MC7). If I use WD Live does that do it's own processing or does it use JRiver's codecs and stuff?

I'm worried that I'll set up WD live or similar and then it will have a horrible interface and it won't play stuff or subtitles will be missing etc.

It's mainly to keep the wife happy, if I convince her to let me have these all over the house they are going to have to work well! 

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »

I'm kind of new to media servers too, so if I get something wrong, somebody jump in.

WD tv live is a SEPERATE media player. You would typically hook it up to each dumb tv, then change inputs from the tv's remote. It has it's own screens and built-in media server so no, you won't see any of the MC features. Here's its PDF file, so you can read up on it before you buy: http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/media/2010_Western_Digital_Live_Users_Manual.pdf

It by itself will connect with your PC or wherever you stored your files and present lists/thumbnails and sorting options. If you have files on a USB external drive you can plug that directly into the WD live device and it reads and plays both JPG and a whole boat load of different video format like MPEG-2 directly from such a device.

NickF

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »

WD TV Live is a DLNA renderer.  I don't own one but I assume that it can see DLNA servers so it should see MC.  MC should see it as a Zone and be able to send media to it.  This means that you can use Gizmo or WebGizmo to send media files to it.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

DaveS

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »

Thanks again!

I think I still have a lot to learn and read up on, but at that price, if it doesn't work as expected I'll set it up in the bathroom or my garage or something....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »

WD TV Live is a DLNA renderer.  I don't own one but I assume that it can see DLNA servers so it should see MC.  MC should see it as a Zone and be able to send media to it.
Correct.  It works well as a renderer for MC.

kkapp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »

does the WD support blueray and lossless?  I have tried using the client version of jriver on my laptop and connecting it to my tv but it doesn't support blueray this way.. :'(

also, did i read correctly?  these types of extenders perform the rendering and not the pc?  this was one advantage to Sagetv as you did not need a beast of a pc to stream blueray or stream to multiple clients at one time.

dhale

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:28 pm »

I am new to  River and trying it out to see if it is what I want :D
I have a windows 7 PC and an OPPO 103.  Under my network I want J River to show up and play my downloaded FLAC files.  Is this possible or am I thinking this is not possible? At one time I thought I had J River show up under Network on my OPPO but was a fleating moment and lost my way. J River shows up on my Network on the PC but when I open it- it defaults to WMPlayer. :P
All my music shows up in J River when I hit Audio but how do I get it to  the OPPO device to play as a list and not as individual folders? Sorry for the basic questions but only have a few days left.
Dave

NickF

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:40:02 am »

I am new to  River and trying it out to see if it is what I want :D
I have a windows 7 PC and an OPPO 103.  Under my network I want J River to show up and play my downloaded FLAC files.  Is this possible or am I thinking this is not possible? At one time I thought I had J River show up under Network on my OPPO but was a fleating moment and lost my way. J River shows up on my Network on the PC but when I open it- it defaults to WMPlayer. :P
All my music shows up in J River when I hit Audio but how do I get it to  the OPPO device to play as a list and not as individual folders? Sorry for the basic questions but only have a few days left.
Dave
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

Have you read the "Media Network - Getting Started" topic which Jim posted at the top of this board?  Also look at the DLNA topic on the wiki here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

It is important that MC has its Media Networking enabled.  This will allow your Oppo to see it and vice versa.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up