INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I get a refund on my licence?  (Read 8093 times)

mbc0

• Recent member
How can I get a refund on my licence?
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:40 pm »

Hi,

After 60+ hours on MC18 It really is not for me... I give up and am going back to Windows 7 MCE so I can control everything within one interface... I cannot find a "Contact Us" or anything in the forums/support pages to get a refund so can anyone help me to do this?  I could do it through paypal but wondered if there is a better way...

Many Thanks for all the help that those of you have me whilst trying to convert to MC18....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How can I get a refund on my licence?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:57 pm »

We provide a 30 day trial of the full version.  We don't provide refunds.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

I Installed the trial and after 1 day it said 1 day remaining!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:37:05 pm »

If you download the latest build, that problem is fixed.  18.0.51 is at the top of this board.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »

I Selected Item did not match the original description as it was from a selection of options that was the closest, other than "wrong colour" didn't work etc....

I have fairly paid for a product that doesn't suit my requirements, the fact that you had to fix the 1 day remaining issue (which I was unaware of) is just another example of the problems I have been facing.  All I asked for was a fair refund for something that I am not able to use, in fact no different to taking a clock radio back to the shop because it wasn't what you expected except for the fact that you don't even have to accept a physical return, or re-stock any items... I am also saddened that you feel the need to publicly display this dispute all over your forums...

jack wallstreet

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »

As a user, let me comment.

1. MC 18 is a beta version with warning not to use if you are not prepared for problems.  A stable and very, excellent version is available for you to test (MC17)
2. There is a free and stable trial version
3. We can all respect that MC18 (or even MC17) is not for you (and others), but for those who like its feature, it is unmatched
4. The trial period is a very fair way to test it.   
5. But if you make a decision to purchase and then don't like it, that is really your mistake and not a customer service problem of JRiver
6. This is not a dispute.  You are asking a question, JRiver is responding.
7. JRiver chooses to use its forum as the way to communicate.  It has many strengths and some disadvantages.  You either accept it or you don't.
John

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »

mbc0 any luck on that refund through paypal? I might give that a try as well. But only if J River is somehow able to reclaim the license, otherwise it's not fair to them (to get your money back with the license still working is stealing).

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »

mbc0 any luck on that refund through paypal? I might give that a try as well. But only if J River is somehow able to reclaim the license, otherwise it's not fair to them (to get your money back with the license still working is stealing).

I only requested the refund through PayPal a few hours ago but here in the UK it is 3am so I don't think they are open at the moment ;-) 

Absolutely agree I will surrender the licence If my claim is successful, good luck with your claim although I must mention I only downloaded Media Center and paid for the licence a few days ago....

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »

Even though you may have got at least one slightly snarky response the actual points are well made -- and for sure you've noticed there is loyal fan base that actually likes the open communication with the developers that is a hallmark of the program and its rep. Did you notice the head of the company responded to you? The folks here grew up with the thing helping to make it better. I suggest using MC17 (as I am) and not beta test version 18 right now, since beta always comes with caveats. Read some of the excellent reviews many that lend some insight in how to get the most out of the program and get a feel for what the software can do for you -- why not grow with it since it beats mostly everything out there.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:54 am »

Sorry you are having problems. You obviously upgraded from MC17 so I sense that maybe you are frustrated by the fact that the new beta MC18 is giving some problems. My advice would be to stick with it and rely on the company to help you resolve the problems. I really haven't found a better sounding media player. I've found the company to be very helpful and concerned for their client base. You also have the backup of other users on Interact.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never experienced problems with MC when upgrading to a new beta version. There are some pieces of software that I would not dream of upgrading until a fully tied and tested version was released.

I hope that the company are able to help you through this one (Perhaps a simple 'no refunds' comment wasn't the best under the circumstances Jim) and that you will soon be happy with the product

sunfire7

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:32 am »

In fact no different to taking a clock radio back to the shop because it wasn't what you expected

What if the store let you take the clock to your home for you to try it, and if you WANT go back to the store and pay for it.

I think you should give JRiver a chance, it worth the money.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:35 am »

After 60+ hours on MC18 It really is not for me...

I'm wondering ...

when you download MC18 there's is a big warning:
This is a beta.  It may crash, hang, or have other problems.  Do not use if problems will upset you.

Why didn't you stick with or trialed MC17?

I Installed the trial and after 1 day it said 1 day remaining!

Why didn't you contact support about that issue first?

Forgive me if this comes across as blunt, but it seems to me you purchased on a whim without considering the consequences and without reading the terms of your purchase.

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:55 am »

Opening up for refund of licenses that you already got on your possession would be a nightmare. There would be no way to control if you have a copy of the license or not. Only to refuse the license in upcoming builds. And excluding single licenses would be troublesome. I understand JRiver's decision very well. There is a trial version for 30 days. It should be more than enough to give players a chance. And when you noticed that it was only 1 remaining day of the beta, you should have asked before purchasing. Beta's will have bugs. Everyone should know this. There is just no good excuse. This application is so cheap anyway. It should not make a huge impact in your life. If it's not something for you now, then you have the possibility to try it again in one year when MC18 is fully developed. Perhaps you like it better then.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:11 am »

I'm wondering ...

when you download MC18 there's is a big warning:
Why didn't you stick with or trialed MC17?

Why didn't you contact support about that issue first?

Forgive me if this comes across as blunt, but it seems to me you purchased on a whim without considering the consequences and without reading the terms of your purchase.

You guys are all over mbco like he is a knowledgeable user.  No where did he say MC was crashing or he had issues with it working.  He simply said MC is not for him.  How in the world would he know to contact support because it said he only had one day something.  You guys are speaking from Heine sight. 

He is unable or not willing to tinker with this program to get it to fit his needs.  Not everyone is, we have to accept that.  It would be easier if MC had some standard layout of TV shows the way other programs do by default.  This way new incoming users won't have such a hard time and turned of by the functionality of MC.

Just my thoughts..

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 07:49:48 am »

I absolutely agree that something should be done with defaults in several places in MC. But the trial period problems should really have been picked up as an error imo. I just don't see the problem.

1. User started an evaluation of a Beta product. This is not a good starting point.
2. If just one day trial period was given from the first start of MC, you should have asked your self: ONE day?? Nothing except for some phone app marketplaces has similar trial periods.
3. If the trial period was 30 days when you first started MC, there should be bells ringing when this suddenly goes down to 1 day.

mbc0

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:23 am »

You guys are all over mbco like he is a knowledgeable user.  No where did he say MC was crashing or he had issues with it working.  He simply said MC is not for him.  How in the world would he know to contact support because it said he only had one day something.  You guys are speaking from Heine sight. 

He is unable or not willing to tinker with this program to get it to fit his needs.  Not everyone is, we have to accept that.  It would be easier if MC had some standard layout of TV shows the way other programs do by default.  This way new incoming users won't have such a hard time and turned of by the functionality of MC.

Just my thoughts..

Many Thanks for your views.... :-)

I absolutely agree that something should be done with defaults in several places in MC. But the trial period problems should really have been picked up as an error imo. I just don't see the problem.

1. User started an evaluation of a Beta product. This is not a good starting point.
2. If just one day trial period was given from the first start of MC, you should have asked your self: ONE day?? Nothing except for some phone app marketplaces has similar trial periods.
3. If the trial period was 30 days when you first started MC, there should be bells ringing when this suddenly goes down to 1 day.

1, I can agree with that but after reading in the forums that the possibility of having DVBLink was being worked on in MC18, this made sense to me. For sure I would happily accept crashes/bugs but I didn't experience any, the software just didn't work in the way I expected it to.
2, As you say, this does happen in the app marketplace where I purchase 90% of my software from, so no alarm bells rang......
3, I never at any point realized that the trial period was 30 days so it never "went down" to 30 days for me to become suspicious

--------------------------------

At the end of the day, I am an HTPC enthusiast (since 2004) and a full time IT Systems engineer for Siemens & Canon for over 25 years, but making the switch across to this software was just not working for me, it really is that simple... I find that using this software is quite a few steps back from Windows MCE & My Movies add-in, please don't take it the wrong way but I really think this software is excellent but feel it is aimed at existing users not new users coming from a perhaps "spoon fed" setup procedure that does most of the hard work for you...  1 of the main points I raised seems to have some support & I was even thanked for my input http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74627.0

Another (to me) massive problem was being unable to view TV on the system which still I have not received any support or replies to! http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74675.0

So I really don't think I am being unfair by asking for a refund maybe it is looked at from an outsiders point of view, rather than a hard-cored JRiver user like preproman has...

Sorry to cause any problems, this was never my intention....

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:14 am »

I can understand that mistakes like this can be made a in very special cases. What I'm trying to say is that offering refunds would probably be a disaster for JRiver. And I believe there would probably be a lot more people trying to scam JRiver for free licenses than there would be legitimate refund cases.

JRiver excels in almost every single category within the media application market, but there are a few cases where improvement are needed. You have probably found one of them. There's little that can be done about that right now. But perhaps later builds of MC18 will have improvements in those areas.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:04 am »

If you would reconsider, we might be able to improve things for you during this cycle of development.  That's not an absolute promise.  It's just an intention.

You had a fairly complex tuner setup, if I recall correctly.  Simplifying that and getting MC going on one might be a good place to start.  Yaobing posts frequently on the TV board and might be able to help.  He's JRiver's dev for TV.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

So I really don't think I am being unfair by asking for a refund maybe it is looked at from an outsiders point of view, rather than a hard-cored JRiver user like preproman has...

Sorry to cause any problems, this was never my intention....

I'm just a bit confused why you would install this, barely use it, then give $40 on the hopes that it would be good for you, then almost immediately demand a refund because it wasn't easy to use.  It seems encumbent upon you to evaluate something well enough to spend your money on it.  If you didn't evaluate it thoroughly enough, isn't that you 'bad' and should that cost you?  Why should JRiver pay for your mistake?

Whether the system said 1 day left in trial or not, you obviously felt it was worth $40 at one point, so it seems you'd be willing to at least give it a chance.

Also, a software engineer for Siemens and Canon cannot be so hurting for money that it's worth making a public display over $40, especially considering the above.

I suggest you try to find solutions to the shortcomings you are experiencing, and I think you'll discover that it may be the best $40 you've ever spent.  It is 'complicated' software, and it definitely isn't as 'easy' as some of the other media programs, but it towers over them in terms of competency and abilities.  MC is constantly being improved, and your 'problems' will eventually become our 'enhancements', so let's all work towards improvement.  :D
pretend this is something funny

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

Try getting a refund on your Windows license. 
That is more realistic to your case than a clock radio.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up