INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server start on Boot  (Read 22465 times)

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Media Server start on Boot
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

I'm wanting Media server to start on boot.  I've referred to the Wiki and made the settings.  The server does not start until I login to the computer.  Is the behaviour I'm seeing correct or not and how can I make it start with the boot?  This is running on Vista Business 64 bit.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server start on Boot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:48:55 pm »

I don't think it runs as a service, so you must log in for the server to start.  I ended up googling how to set my server to auto log in.  Physical security isn't an issue for me, so I wasn't worried about the security implications of having my PC auto log in. 

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »

Auto login is your best bet. Another option might be to create a service out of the application. I do not know how well that works though. I believe there are a few things that the MC server needs to reach on the disks etc, that might be problematic if it's run as a service without logging in to get the right permissions.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:05:28 am »

I use this setting

Tools - options - Startup - Windows Startup & then select the option you want

regards,

Steve

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:31 am »

That will not solve his problem. Login is still required.

jrobson

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 07:25:27 am »

Run it as a shell?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:32 am »

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83272-how-to-run-a-program-as-a-service/

I think you can tell the new "service" what user to run as, which would negate the problem with needing to log in. I would use the user's credentials in question so MC sees the user's files. If you run as system, it might still work, but not sure if it would see the files in the user directory (video/audio/pics).

You can also use Windows Task Scheduler. It has an option for firing off an app under certain conditions, one of which is "When the Computer Starts." When you finish creating it, it asks you what user account to use to start the task. Just use the account you're auto logging in with.

audunth

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:01 am »

There is a service running called Media Center 18 Service, what does that do then? I always thought that was the media server, but then again I never had this problem since I use auto login on my media PC.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:12 am »

There is a service running called Media Center 18 Service, what does that do then? I always thought that was the media server, but then again I never had this problem since I use auto login on my media PC.
I believe that's what the OP was asking about wanting to run at boot. It only starts after login - doesn't start at boot up.

audunth

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »

If it runs as a service it shouldn't require login.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »

It might be a service there, but I do not believe MC itself is running because of this. If it was, I would be extremely surprised if not JRiver had announced this, or that someone would have picked it up by now.
In the description is says "Support media functionality like infrared remote controls, etc." This does not bode well for full MC server functionality.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

Keep in mind about Services...

Some things are not available w/out login.  For example, mapped drives.  An MC library may well have references to media on mapped drives, and this media would be marked as missing by the Media Server.

A service typically doesn't have a face.  I believe MS is subset of MC which has one.  The conversion from a UI-centric app, to a service, is not always trivial, and without re-factoring/re-writing code, can't always be achieved robustly (consider: Where do error messages go?  How do you deal with current UI prompts asking for some input?).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:58 am »

The "Media Center 18 Service" actually is JRService.exe. Start type is manual but when you logout and connect to services remotely, I can see it is still running. Connections to the service are not possible. I believe this process only controls the remote and some other stuff but not the actual server clients connects to.

The server process is started as follows:
C:\Windows\System32\MC18.exe /MediaServer.

But no matter what I try I can't get this to work as a service, not even on a logged in user session.

I've enabled logging in MC18 and started it a few times but from the logging I can't figure out why its not running properly.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:30 am »

That will not solve his problem. Login is still required.

Thanks for clarifying this.  I was surprised that I hadn't noticed this.  Guess everytime the PC is booted it's logged into before any DLNA device or gizmo has been used.

I confirmed tonight that Gizmo and DLNA could not see MC until I logged in.

cheers,

Steve

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »

Yes, I have tried as well and can't get it to run as a service.  It is a real pain to need to login.

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »

I realise this is an old page... http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server_Startup_on_Windows_Boot but the word "boot" is used.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:58 pm »

Yeh that pages uses the word boot but it means on login.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:40 am »

So has anyone tried to create a Windows Task that fires it off at boot?

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28:17 am »

Yeh that pages uses the word boot but it means on login.

Yes, it would be nice if the software developers would use correct terms....  "Start-up" does not mean "Login".

It would be really nice if one of the development team would clarify the way the program is INTENDED to work.  It seems really strange to me that a computer programmer would use the wrong word.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »

The Wiki are probably most often made by users. People make mistakes. It's simple as that. Lock down the Wiki for tight control, and we'll end up with little to no documentation.
I tried to correct the link and title of the page, but i could not touch it. Some moderators probably have to edit it.

The intended way for the application is that you HAVE to log in to start the application. There are too much that is needed on the HDD's for it to run without a user login and it's credentials. Media Files on the drives, mapped drives that needs login for them to connect, user profile access. Modifying this application to run as a service would probably mean a lot of things have to getten rewritten. And we could lose a lot of functionality in the process to make it work for everyone.

I would say no thanks if I had to choose. Automatic logon for a media server should not be a serious issue for many of use. It's not ideal, but it's what we have now. Perhaps it will be done something with this after a mac release, and if JRiver decides to look at a server version for NAS'?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »

You can edit the page, and add the following to the bottom of the page:

[[Category:Frequently Asked Questions|Media Server auto-start at login]]

replacing the existing:

[[Category:Frequently Asked Questions]]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »

It is not just the Wiki.  The program options use the word "Startup", this the confusion.

Windows Media Server works without login...

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »

Windows Media Server works without login...
You're right. But you could also spend most of your life describing what MC does that Windows Media server does not. Some of those things are probably the reason why it requires login. I do not say that this is great thing. It's just something we have to live with for now. Hopefully, JRiver will consider using more non-user-login-friendly options for future implementations. And hopefully we'll have a service one day.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 11:25:57 pm »

I use a dedicated PC for music playback and often run it in a headless configuration.  I have a single user account and no password; there is no login step.  The startup folder has a shortcut for MC (and a VNC server program) so MC runs without intervention.  It has worked reliably on a Win XP PC and now on a Win 7 PC.

Bill

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 01:10:16 am »

I'm not sure anymore about WinXP thats too long ago already  :P, but for sure you can enable automatic login in Windows 7 with a user password, I would strongly suggest this over users with no password.

First give the user a password (ctrl-alt-del, change password). I think you need to logout and log back in. Hit WIN-R, in the box type "control userpassword2". Select the user first then disable "Users must enter a user name and password ro use this computer.". Type the password and confirm.

This adds a bit of security for headless pc's that require automatic login. It stores the encrypted password in the registry. Not the best security but still better than no password at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up