INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is "Better" for home networking.  (Read 1177 times)

meurytv

• Recent member
Which is "Better" for home networking.
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »

Obviously i have J river installed on my home built HTPC.  I am using the HomeRun tuner to get live TV (no cable tv thank god),  The wife wants TV in the bedroom and in the 2nd bedroom that acts as my office. (HTPC has plenty of storage...1TBinternal and soon to be 2TB external.

The current TV that we have in the bedroom does not have DLNA.  I am considering the following options.

1.  Zotac Zbox on the TV in the bedroom or would the Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player work for the bedroom.  We probably would not watch Live TV in the bedroom but if we did would the WD work since my tuner is a networked turner.  If not thats not a huge problem mostly because we currently just record or shows and watch them when we both have  time.  I really would rather spend the 300+ to make the zotac accomplish what would amount to only watching recorded TV in this room.

2.  In the office i am considering the Zotac box to watch TV and also be an exact mirror of my office lap top (still figuring out how to accomplish this).  I use a cloud server for most of my work applications so the only thing that would need to be synced are some local documents and my email.

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
Re: Which is "Better" for home networking.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »

I've had good luck with WD TV Live and use it on a bedroom tv. I only have two problems with it.

First it tends to run "hot", even on for just an hour or less it gets more than 'warm to the toutch', getting close to actually being hot, which is probably due to design, all the vent holes are on the bottom of what is a tiny case, no bigger that your wallet and it has tiny "legs" that only raise the unit a fraction of an inch, my guess about 1/64 of an inch off whatever surface it is on, thus making it run "hot", so I would suggest something like sitting it on top of an ashtray or something, to get more air, then it runs much cooler.

Function wise is runs great, it plays most any file type except for a handful of files I haven't figured out yet why not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up